Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started looking for a bike alarm the other day after someone tried to steal my bike in broad daylight. Was just wondering if there is anything other than crap in the alarm department...Any suggestions or past experiences with a brand would be really helpful....thanks:blob

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmmm???

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill look into it..do have a scorpio alarm on your bike!??

·
Registered
8 Posts
tesfayeali1 said:
ill look into it..do have a scorpio alarm on your bike!??
I do...

I also keep the bike in someone else backyard (I live in a appartment, and she was kind enough to offer me the space :cool ). Anyway, she is terrified to walk close to the bike :crackup because the first day that I left my bike she touched it (close to the back seat, trying to pick up a tree leaf) and the alarm went off. The alarm can be very sensitive in some areas but most of the time you have to bump into it before it goes off.

I don't think the reception is that good.... but atleast is good enough to activate my remote when I am in my appartment and the bike is on my neightbord house and from the office when the bike is park and chain in the window overlooking my desk :grin (neither of those two situation the distance is too large.... if you're planning to park it in a mall on Chester, consider your bike gone :eek )

leo

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Keep in mind, it doesnt matter how bad someone wants something, if they want it bad enough - I assume they can steal it. My friend had a Ducati 916, drove into San Francisco, paid for parking in a secure parking garage with a guard, and was gone for 30 minutes to grab a bite to eat, came back and his bike was gone.

Can you park your motorcycle anywhere else? Can you bring it into your apartment/house? Can you park it sideways at the front of your parking spot with your car parked directly in front of it. If you have 2 cars, can you park your bike in between them tight enough to perhaps keep someone away?

For actual devices, either a big enough chain protected so it doesnt scratch your rim, and attached to something secure enough. They make locks that go on the brake rotor - prevents the bike from rolling away but can damage your front rotor if someone trys and they they may just pick up the bike or drop it.

Car toys has standard car alarms which I have seen fitted into bikes. Those are good detterents.

I have heard too many experiences in my day of people getting their bike stolen in some unbelievable circumstances. Your number one best bet is to make sure it is insured ya know and a garage if possible.

In college, I just rented a storage unit a few blocks from my apartment and parked it in there. I figure if I ever took off out of town for a few days, needed to work on the bike, or didnt want to take any chances on having it stolen, I could park it there and call it good. If a neighbor near you has a garage of some sort, offer to pay a little bit of money to park it in there, but at least a storage unit can give you some peace of mind.

Keep us posted on what you do, sorry for my rambling - hope it helps somewhat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the information...the thing is i live in one of twelve courts in one big apartment complex and no one hasa garage. I still live with my parents cause im only 17 but im thinking about the car thing where you park the bike against the curb and then park your car directly in front of it...ill be sure to keep you posted...i think im still going to look into one of those alarms!!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Because of your age and your still living with your parents, the CHEAPEST way to get insurance would be to jump onto their policy and offer to pay the extra amount. Going through them at your age is a helluva lot cheaper than getting your own policy. If that is an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
tesfayeali1 said:
thanks for the information...the thing is i live in one of twelve courts in one big apartment complex and no one hasa garage. I still live with my parents cause im only 17 but im thinking about the car thing where you park the bike against the curb and then park your car directly in front of it...ill be sure to keep you posted...i think im still going to look into one of those alarms!!!
don't forget to chain the bike to you car's wheel or bumper, to get the alarm, and at least a bat :violent

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because of your age and your still living with your parents, the CHEAPEST way to get insurance would be to jump onto their policy and offer to pay the extra amount. Going through them at your age is a helluva lot cheaper than getting your own policy. If that is an option.

Im actually paying a relatively cheap price for my bike insurance...im not sure what everyone else is paying but i payed $269 for a whole year of insurance.!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've got a paintball gun with "different" paintballs with their name on it if they try it again...the "different paintballs won't kill but they sure as hell will never come into my court again if they get hit with one!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
the bike in front of the car will work/slow them down. I usually park mine like that at my GF condo parking lot. If they want it they will take it.

If you want a system...go with lojack for bikes. Also keep it covered everytime you park it - out of site out of mind.

Then you could also chain a pitbull or rotty to it too :)

Thieves Suck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im really liking the pitbull idea...Pure Genius!!!lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
i got a scorpio alarm its got a pager on it..and a thick ass cable lock .lock it in a post + a disc lock..i put the alarm on silent mode so i can just start sniping them with my AR-15 223 goes thru cars even they take off u can steel snipe them from a mile away... I hate theives.why dont they just work to buy their own shit...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
amen ma brotha...what type alarm and how much was it...???

·
Registered
159 Posts
I paid 300 bucks for mine i went thru directly to their company scorpioalarm.com and bought the proximity alarm seperatly. u can sleep better knowing your bike is safe..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use car alarms on my bikes. I have been putting alarms on my bikes since 1992 with my first ZX6. I currently have an 05 12R and I have a Crime Stopper remote start alarm on it, yes that's correct remote start :clap Since fuel injection we can now put remote start alarms on our bikes. The reason that I use car alarms as opposed to bike alarms (which I have tried before) is 1: car alarms are less expensive 2: car alarm sirens are louder 3: car alarms have more outputs for other functions and inputs for other ways to trip the alarm. The one I currently have installed is a remote start with a pager. It kills the ingnition preventing starting the bike without first disarming the alarm. It has a sensor on the rear seat so if the seat is removed it will set the alarm off. I will be installing a tilt switch which will activate the alarm if the bike is taken off the side stand. It also has an adjustable motion sensor with a warn feature that will beep the siren a couple of times if it senses a shock less than one hard enough to activate the full alarm. It flashes the signal lights, blows the siren and activates the remote pager. The Crime Stopper also has an auxiliary wire to beep the factory horn in additon to the siren, though I've been having a problem connecting that wire. It came with two remotes and it cost me $100 (I installed it myself)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
where did you get this package from...im really interested int he ides...sounds like a cheap and much more beneficial way to solve my problem!!! any and all infromation would be really helpful....thanks everybody!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts