Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title. I have always been a Japanese fan mainly for the value for money and reliability (toughness & solidness) of their products ..be it a new camera, LCD TV, car, bike...I always seem to go for the Japanese brands ;-)..

However for this new purchase this time I am trying my best to keep an open mind and am really trying to consider all option :thumbsup:...and maybe even try something new :)...

My only other sportbike has benn a GSX-R 600 K4 with which I was very happy!

I am in the market for a sports bike that is larger than 600cc. Apart from the usual Japanese suspects (GSX-r 750, Blade, ZX-10R etc..) I am also considering one of the below:

- Triumph 675 Daytona (2007-2009)
- Ducati 848 (2007-2009)

Both seem to have stellar reviews and it sounds like they are pretty reliable. The Ducati would be the most expensive of my options but it is BY FAR the sexiest looking one ;-)...

Would running, servicing and spare parts be much more expensive on these bikes than their Japanese counterparts? What would you do!?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've always been a sucker for the pearl white 848 evos.. although I have heard the ducs are fairly reliable when it does come time to wrench on them the maintenance costs will hold your wallett hostage.. but hey I've always liked standing out in a crowd and what better way to do that then with a ducati?
one of my buddies has a triumph speed triple and he loves it. His bike will give my zx11 a run for its money anyday..

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
The 848 duc and the 675 triumph compete directly against the Asian 600s. The 1098 Duc and 848 are exactly the same size physically. If you want a Duc, consider finding a 1098 "S" model with the Termi, Arrow or Akra exhaust already installed. Many ducs you'll find for sale are really low mileage cream puffs.

The reason I'm suggesting the 1098 is that you want a bigger bike than a 600. If you are a decent back yard mechanic and have metric tools, you could consider the Duc. Getting the bike serviced at your local duc dealer will cost about double of the typ. Jap sportbike.

You need to go sit on both the triumph and the duc and see which one fits you better. There are tons of aftermarket parts available for the ducs; less for the triumph. Do you have a Triumph dealer within riding distance?

If you are thinking about riding the bike to work on as regular basis or reliability is key, the Jap bikes are really the only bikes to own. Think about how much it cost to maintain your former Gixxer.

Figure the Triumph to cost a little more. Figure the Duc to cost about doulble what the Gixxer cost mostly because the valve adjustments come around 7,500 miles instead of the 15/20K on Jap bikes.

The sound the Triumph makes with a good pipe is really nice. The triple growls. The bike sounds much better than the Jap four. The sound the duc makes with a full Arrow or the termis may make give you goose bumps. The Ducati looks and sound is unique. Cornering with a Ducati is in a class by itself.

The 1098 S has the Ohlins suspension and the machined monobloc Brembos. I have a friend who had 2 2008 675s, (1 track/parts bike, 1 street). Chris really put the miles on the street bike. He never had any major problems. He sold the triumphs and just picked up a 2013 MV Agusta F3. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's beautiful.

Just depends on your wallet. Ducatis tend to have excellent resale value. Riders who can read a service manual and perform their own service don't have a problem with the Duc. The other rider/owners who have their dealer perform service always have some real horror stories.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
My wife.

Just bought a bunch of spares so I can start tracking her again next season.

To answer your question, I think you'll be happy with the Triumph. The 848 is nice too but I would imagine that it's a little more expensive to service and replace parts than the 675 Triumph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife.

Just bought a bunch of spares so I can start tracking her again next season.

To answer your question, I think you'll be happy with the Triumph. The 848 is nice too but I would imagine that it's a little more expensive to service and replace parts than the 675 Triumph.
Wow! The MV is simply sublime...the italians have a way with aesthetics :crazyloco...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 848 duc and the 675 triumph compete directly against the Asian 600s. The 1098 Duc and 848 are exactly the same size physically. If you want a Duc, consider finding a 1098 "S" model with the Termi, Arrow or Akra exhaust already installed. Many ducs you'll find for sale are really low mileage cream puffs.

The reason I'm suggesting the 1098 is that you want a bigger bike than a 600. If you are a decent back yard mechanic and have metric tools, you could consider the Duc. Getting the bike serviced at your local duc dealer will cost about double of the typ. Jap sportbike.

You need to go sit on both the triumph and the duc and see which one fits you better. There are tons of aftermarket parts available for the ducs; less for the triumph. Do you have a Triumph dealer within riding distance?

If you are thinking about riding the bike to work on as regular basis or reliability is key, the Jap bikes are really the only bikes to own. Think about how much it cost to maintain your former Gixxer.

Figure the Triumph to cost a little more. Figure the Duc to cost about doulble what the Gixxer cost mostly because the valve adjustments come around 7,500 miles instead of the 15/20K on Jap bikes.

The sound the Triumph makes with a good pipe is really nice. The triple growls. The bike sounds much better than the Jap four. The sound the duc makes with a full Arrow or the termis may make give you goose bumps. The Ducati looks and sound is unique. Cornering with a Ducati is in a class by itself.

The 1098 S has the Ohlins suspension and the machined monobloc Brembos. I have a friend who had 2 2008 675s, (1 track/parts bike, 1 street). Chris really put the miles on the street bike. He never had any major problems. He sold the triumphs and just picked up a 2013 MV Agusta F3. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's beautiful.

Just depends on your wallet. Ducatis tend to have excellent resale value. Riders who can read a service manual and perform their own service don't have a problem with the Duc. The other rider/owners who have their dealer perform service always have some real horror stories.
Thanks for kind reply. I also love the F3 but it's a new model that's out of my budget unfortunately...

I have heard nothing but praise with the Triupmh..I'll look deeper into this lovely bike :thefinger...

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
I spoke to an Italian Ducati tech at Indy last year about desmodromic valve adjustment procedures. The job is pro-rated at 8 hrs. labor in their service book. Figure at least twice that for DIY types. A $500 (or two full work days for me) valve adjustment once or twice a year would keep me from ever owning one.

I stopped at a Ducati dealer to pick up a small fairing screw for a friend of mine and when the parts guy brought it out off the shelf, he said, "You need to go buy a lottery ticket." When I inquired, "Why is that?", he replied, "Because you're gonna walk outta here with a genuine Ducati part for less than 5 bucks." $4.65 fairing screws would be reason #2 to never own a Duc.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Ouch, and i thought i got robbed when i paid $2.xx for a bolt from the Kawi dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
My nephew has an '04 Triumph Sprint ST. Every maintenance procedure I have performed on it-oil changes, brakes, tire changes, etc. is easily twice as tedious as the same thing on the ZX-14. I haven't adjusted the valves yet, and I'm hoping the 4 less valves will make the job simpler than the 14's 16, but I'm reserving judgement.

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
All that being said, I'd still like to get my hands on an Aprilia RSV4 Tuono. I'd probably have plenty of time to work on it while I waited to get my driver's license back.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
What happened to the drivers license?

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Ahhhh. I'm a little slow today

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
My uncle owns an 848 and my wife's brother-in-law as well. They've both spent more time in the shop this summer than in the garage and cost 1000's to get back.
I think my uncle had his in for valve adjustment and oil change that came to like $1800 or something.
Mike is the other guy and his had some type of fueling issue, and he didn't get it fixed by the Duc dealer beacuse it was like min of $2200.
I'd stay away from that, as others have said, simply based on price of parts.
And that MV from the top looks bloated and overweight; the italians make hideous bikes IMO.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Personally, I like both brands very much. But I got into motorcycling quite by accident. My Dad announces one night at the dinner table that he bought a motorcycle, I was 14, and that was the end of my life as I knew it. All I knew was MOTORCYCLE..... didnt have a clue who made what... or who was the best

That being said, I have deep respect for Triumph at the way they resurrected themselves, recovered the name and now are building such solid, capable motorcycles.

Everything the Italians make, seems to be just so much cultural exoctica at a stiff price...

High maintenance, high performance @ a high cost, but OOOHHHHH so worth the ride....

IF you can afford it....

Im a cheap biker, and I look for the most bang for the buck, and my Japanese rides have always seem to deliver for me.....

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
My buddy has a street triple. At 6k miles they had to do valves and re sync throttle bodies. Get the service warantty it took them all day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Overall synopsis looks like european bikes look very enticing, sound great but are less reliable and more expensive to run over a year or two of riding! The japs are the king of all autos it had to be said! Someone slap me if im wrong

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
My buddy's 1198 had the clutch master cylinder shoot crap at 2200 miles. It's a warranty claim, but he had to haul the bike to the dealer and leave it since the fkup made it unridable. They are also charging him 2 shop hours to reprogram the EFI to compensate for the aftermarket slip-ons.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Overall synopsis looks like european bikes look very enticing, sound great but are less reliable and more expensive to run over a year or two of riding! The japs are the king of all autos it had to be said! Someone slap me if im wrong
Define "king of all autos."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts