Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1998 C1 zx9r ninja
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is confusing, I had front puncture, so I layed bike up for 2 weeks as winter weather, and I put new wheel bearings in front n rear, new tyre, but why to start bike, wouldn't fire up.
She always started no problem, so further investigation took me to "no sparking at all," hmmm I resistance checked coils all are within spec. I bought new battery, my ignition was the only area to be open to the icy weather so seems it was worn I bought new 1, still not damn spark, I changed cdi, still no spark, I stripped and fully cleaned the clutch/side stand/kill switch all working as should...
I'm stumped, all fuses ok, I did come across an osram 4 pin relay under seat, 12v 20amp but I cannot find what the heck this is for, I'm pulling the pickup coil for resistance check in the morning, but I've asked many ppl on the net about this relay, no one can tell me what it is, it what it's for, can't find it in manual or wiring section...
I'm really pissed off and really needing help.. mentally drained..
Cheers in advance guys

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,169 Posts
This is confusing, I had front puncture, so I layed bike up for 2 weeks as winter weather, and I put new wheel bearings in front n rear, new tyre, but why to start bike, wouldn't fire up.
She always started no problem, so further investigation took me to "no sparking at all," hmmm I resistance checked coils all are within spec. I bought new battery, my ignition was the only area to be open to the icy weather so seems it was worn I bought new 1, still not damn spark, I changed cdi, still no spark, I stripped and fully cleaned the clutch/side stand/kill switch all working as should...
I'm stumped, all fuses ok, I did come across an osram 4 pin relay under seat, 12v 20amp but I cannot find what the heck this is for, I'm pulling the pickup coil for resistance check in the morning, but I've asked many ppl on the net about this relay, no one can tell me what it is, it what it's for, can't find it in manual or wiring section...
I'm really pissed off and really needing help.. mentally drained..
Cheers in advance guys
What year is this 9r?

· Registered
408 Posts
"my ignition was the only area to be open to the icy weather so seems it was worn I bought new 1,"

If this was not original equipment then its probably one of your problems, Oe ones have 100-ohm dropping resistor built-in, if the ECU does not see this it will think the bikes been hot wired.
Your other problem may be high resistance in the kill switch or its plugs, other option is the pick up coil.

· Registered
1998 C1 zx9r ninja
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"my ignition was the only area to be open to the icy weather so seems it was worn I bought new 1,"

If this was not original equipment then its probably one of your problems, Oe ones have 100-ohm dropping resistor built-in, if the ECU does not see this it will think the bikes been hot wired.
Your other problem may be high resistance in the kill switch or its plugs, other option is the pick up coil.
Yeah it stopped sparking with original ignition.
I'll check resistance from the kill switch to eliminate probable cause.
Now we know its a C model it could also be the Cam Position sensor, outside of the number 1 cylinder exhaust header, a common ish problem.
Thanks for your help guys 😃
Ahh ok, I'll have to look into that and do tests on that in the morning, I'll keep this thread up to date, as I've seen so many folk in same boat 😞

· Registered
1998 C1 zx9r ninja
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I've tested pickup coil,
Manual States 375-565
it's ohms are coming in at
438 reading at 2k ohm meter
Now, the camshaft sensor this is in another level.
To test on highest level ohm on meter and it should read between
400-460
Mines is coming in at a whopping 1030 and climbing...
Fair to say it's knackered, I assume this sensor will STOP the sparking at the plugs....

· Registered
1998 C1 zx9r ninja
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Mines is coming in at a whopping 1030 and climbing..."
It's fair to say this is probably your problem, yes this sensor tells the ECU what position the exhaust cam is so it knows where to start making the coils fire.
Ok, 👌 if you think this is the cause to total spark loss, I'll organise new sensor and pray get my baby back up n running again....
Thanks dude, will update as soon as I get new cam sensor delivered..

· Registered
408 Posts
If I remember right the C's only have a 16-bit ECU whereas the E and F's have a 32bit ECU and with a slightly different timing rotor don't need a Cam position sensor.
The last guy I drove out to help turned out to be a cam position sensor, and on that one, the resistance reading was correct, I think the magnet inside it was iffy, whereas yours it sounds like the wire winding has gone.

· Registered
1998 C1 zx9r ninja
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys, here's my update, I ohm tested pick up coil, and coils themselves and all came within spec, however, the camshaft sensor was completely buggered, replaced that with new original kawi and it's sparking again, had bike running no problem, and it's revving like it used to...
Problem solved, so thanks guys for all your input and I hope others can make use of my trials and errors on this post...
Thanks again...
Scott...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts