Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been asked and answered, but Im looking for new tires for my 2011 zx14. Im currently at 1300 miles and my dealer thinks I will have to get new tires at around 2500 miles. I live in Denver and ride all over, in town, in the canyons, long distance etc. I dont do track days but ride constantly. Sooo I need suggestions on what will be good tires that may last a little longer than 2500 miles but have good traction similar to the OEM that I have on now.I have looked at the Michelin power PRO and the Dunlop Q2 and Dunlops new sport/touring tire that just came out but I cant remember the name. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,269 Posts
Michelin 2ct's got 14 k out of my last front 9k out of the rear. Have anew set now. I think they are phasing them out but any good dual r triple compound tire should do for side grippiness and longevity on the highway getting to the mountains.

:banghead:deadhorse :rockets

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I'm a Pirelli/Metzeler fan, but you should try the Michelin PR2s for the type of riding you do. You should get between 3,000 and 3,500 on the rear. There are enough tread grooves to be decent in the rain. They don't often go on sale, but the regular online prices sre still reasonable.

Whatever replacement tires you go with, you may find that your OEM tires really sucked.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Pilot road 2 or 3 work great as well as dunlop q2's I've run both tires with great results .

·
Registered
99 Posts
FedEx just dropped off a new set of Michelin Power Pure's at my door. Went with the 190/55 on the back so I'm looking forward to seeing how it improves the turn-in. Initial impressions: very light tires! Once I get them mounted, I'll post riding impressions.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
FedEx just dropped off a new set of Michelin Power Pure's at my door. Went with the 190/55 on the back so I'm looking forward to seeing how it improves the turn-in. Initial impressions: very light tires! Once I get them mounted, I'll post riding impressions.
be ez on the colder side bro, anything under 50 degrees. they are super sweet when warm outside and it feels great that they are light, but they slick when they are cold. i ran them for about 5k, before taking them off and they had plenty of tread left probably over 50% left

·
Registered
937 Posts
Michelin 2ct's got 14 k out of my last front 9k out of the rear. Have anew set now. I think they are phasing them out but any good dual r triple compound tire should do for side grippiness and longevity on the highway getting to the mountains.

:banghead:deadhorse :rockets
+1 Excellent tires. Pilot Power are the softest and they really stick, Pilot Road is the long wearing (what I have) and they stick and have never slipped away on me. Jakewilson has the best prices and no tax and motorcyclesuperstore maybe $10.00 to $15.00 more and free shipping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to sit on here and bitch about the life of my tires. Pilot Road 2's are great, I changed mine when I got new Rims. at 7K they were still well over 1/2 life left in them. But if im gonna put new rims on, might as well change out the meats too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the Pirelli Angles, and love them. Ive only got about 3k on them, and they still look amazing. I always ran 2CT's on my previous R1s, and R6s, then when I bought the ZX14 it came with Sportmaxes, and I hated them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have the Pirelli Angles, and love them. Ive only got about 3k on them, and they still look amazing. I always ran 2CT's on my previous R1s, and R6s, then when I bought the ZX14 it came with Sportmaxes, and I hated them.
My favorite so far. 5th set ready for mounting for May trip to CA hwys 96/36/299/3

July trip to MotoGP will have another ST Angels for the 10 day adventure.

Great grip and decent wear mileage wise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put about 6k on the factory BattleAxes and then switched to the Michelin Power Road 2s and love them. The feel stickier and turn in easier.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Just had a pair of Michelin Road 3's installed yesterday. They are awesome looking tires. Waiting for the sheen to wear off…I assume 50 miles or so.

Anything has got to be a huge jump from stock, except the OEM Metzler's on the new 14R, so I'm going to have to wait to compare to my next tires.

I have the Metzler Z1's on my Katana, but technology has rocketed so much in the last 10 years, that any tire now, is going to be vastly superior to a similar class from yesteryear.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My favorite so far. 5th set ready for mounting for May trip to CA hwys 96/36/299/3

July trip to MotoGP will have another ST Angels for the 10 day adventure.

Great grip and decent wear mileage wise.
We have some fun roads around here, but I still havent pushed them to their limit. Im going to Push Mt in a couple weeks, and finding out what they can really do. :runaway

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
My '09 came with Battalax 014 which lasted 3400 mi. Then I used Dunlop Q2's twice which lasted 3000 mi, then went with Dunlop Roadsmart which lasted 5000 mi. The Roadsmart are sport touring tires, have double compound, harder in the middle, softer in the shoulder, and are my favorite right now since they handle as well as the sport tires but last almost twice as long.

All major brands make sport tires and sport/touring tires (double compound). If more miles is at the top of your list, make sure you get a sport/touring tire.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I used to sit on here and bitch about the life of my tires. Pilot Road 2's are great, I changed mine when I got new Rims. at 7K they were still well over 1/2 life left in them. But if im gonna put new rims on, might as well change out the meats too.
The pilot powers 2ct are super, super sticky and you'll get around 3200-3400 miles and you should change them out. I also have the road tire on and they do wear long, but they don't stick like the PPs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the PR3's and love them in the rain. I am getting excellent wear so far. That being said, if it weren't for the Florida rain, I think I would like my PR2's better. I got a lot of miles (for the sake of peace keeping...:cheers HH, I wont say how many) on the PR2's. Lets put it this way, I have 27000 miles on my 2008 and am only on my third set of tires. I do run them down pretty low(approx 1/8 to 1/4 inch tread) before getting new tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts