Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i about have my bike running. i drained the bowls and it started up. i ran it out of fuel(aka forgot to turn fuel on) and now it wont start again. ive choked it, not choked it, half choked.... now my question is, what is the adjuster that comes from the center of the carb and goes out beneath the frame with a lil twister wheel on it? im sure it has something to do with choke but would like to know how it works before i tinker with it. Thanks ahead of time guys

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
i about have my bike running. i drained the bowls and it started up. i ran it out of fuel(aka forgot to turn fuel on) and now it wont start again. ive choked it, not choked it, half choked.... now my question is, what is the adjuster that comes from the center of the carb and goes out beneath the frame with a lil twister wheel on it? im sure it has something to do with choke but would like to know how it works before i tinker with it. Thanks ahead of time guys
Idle speed adjuster.

·
6,877 Posts
Idle speed adjustment screw. Clockwise for a higher idle. Don't unscrew it too far or you will be pulling the carbs to put it back on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol ok kinda what i was thinking it was after i posted this... thanks guys. any ideas of why i cant get my bike to start now??

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Crank that idle adjuster all the way in, and slowly back it out while trying to start the bike. If it ran before, then simply running out of gas shouldn't have changed anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx squidge. i tried that and it just keeps cranking w/ no fire. im gonna rip it apart tomorrow and see if i still have spark. its just been one thing after another since i baught this thing. once i get it running its going up for sale...

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Well, once it is running... then it will run. So why would you sell it then?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to upgrade to something newer. i just dont get it. this thing ran fine when i first got it. I was ripping on it the one day and it just shut off on me. figured out the fuel lines were kinked. fixed that. had it running the other day and it shut off on me again. Now it wont start again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, got it running. one more issue now lol. it acts like it is loading up once i go to accelerate, then it clears out at like 2300 to 3000 r's... just tryin to get a few ideas of what it could be???

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
ok, got it running. one more issue now lol. it acts like it is loading up once i go to accelerate, then it clears out at like 2300 to 3000 r's... just tryin to get a few ideas of what it could be???
Sounds like you're trying to accelerate from a very low rpm.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
i have it idleling at 1500...
Me too. What I'm saying is it's an inline 4, don't expect it to make insane amounts of power below 4-5k rpm. If you open her up all the way while you're a 2k rpm, yeah, she's probably gonna bog down a little like you described.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Me too. What I'm saying is it's an inline 4, don't expect it to make insane amounts of power below 4-5k rpm. If you open her up all the way while you're a 2k rpm, yeah, she's probably gonna bog down a little like you described.
no i know not to expect a ton of power. this is cracklin n poppin and spittin n sputterin. I know what to expect from different engines. Ive been into motorsports all my life but im just tryin to get ideas to lead me into the right direction on this. I kinda think the carbs need tuned or gone over but figured id see if anyone on here had any ideas or experienced similar issues

1 - 13 of 13 Posts