Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be changing the oil this weekend on my 99' zx7r. The filter thats on there now is a purolator car filter that cross references to a honda civic I think. Threads and all match, but what about the valve in the filter? Same psi? Could this have hurt my bike? Old owner states he got the info and part number from a kawi forum. Can anyone tell me if this sounds right? Removing it and installing a k&n oil filter and amsoil 10w40 syn motorcycle oil this weekend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, bike starts right up and runs great, but should I drain the old gas out or just dump a can of startron or seafoam in the tank and fill it with 93oct? The tank is about 1/4 full now. I was thinking of running it with seafoam and then changing the fuel filter after a tank or two.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
how old is the gas? and why wouldnt you already be putting premium gas in the bike?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I used Purolator PL14610 and PL14612 filters all the time. Very high quality filters.

Josh

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just bought the bike this past saturday, haven't rode it except for down my street and back once.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't know how old the gas is thats in the tank. Is there an easier way to drain it without removing the tank?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
how old is the gas? and why wouldnt you already be putting premium gas in the bike?
Because it is a complete fucking waste of money to use an octane higher than what your bike requires, that's why. Octane rating is a measurement of anti-ignition. Basically, the higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite.

This is required in newer bikes. The P-Model 7s? Nope. If it is stock, or mostly stock, you can get away with running some 83 octane for a hundred thousand miles or better with no problems ever. I run 87 in mine, because I can't find anything cheaper. I've put 13 thousand miles on mine since I got it last august. Still starts, runs, and rides fine (barring my rich ass bottom end of course).

And don't say its a better fuel, because it isn't. All gasoline in the US must follow federally mandated standards for detergents - all grades follow the same rules.

Additives between brands are of course up to you. And some stations have really crappy gas, but that isn't a matter of octane rating.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My bike pinged with 85, got the best gas mileage with 87 and started the best hot with 91 octane.

Josh

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
ok well i was confused between what his side profile says and what he was talking about and yes ive seen/ heard that before on here so i apoligize

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
My bike pinged with 85, got the best gas mileage with 87 and started the best hot with 91 octane.

Josh
Well yeah, pinging is the whole point of a higher octane. I don't have it available around here to even find out what the 85 does.

As for the hot start thing, well. I dont have that problem to begin with, so idk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts