Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've tried searching for this to no specific avail. Please forgive.

I'm new here, my bane is Mike. Hello

My issue is this
I got a 97 zx7r that was running OK when I bought it, but one day I was riding home and it ran out of fuel. At the side of the road I switch to reserve and cranked away but it would not fire.

I bump started it perfectly fine. Rode it home, filled it with fuel and left it overnight.

Next day, no fuel pump noise at all. Charged the battery fully, new fp relay, new fuel pump - still nada.

Cranks all day but no start.

Looked for the grey wire near the ignition and tested it, 5.5v all good. Tested the other side of the connector block near the ignition 5.5v great

However I went to test it at the junction box, and there isn't a grey wire there.all of the large wires there test 12v with ignition on.
See image. I'm lost with this.

Without stripping the whole loom back, is this normal?

Thank you for any help
IMG_20210218_141437.jpg

Also if I connect the fuel Pump directly to the battery it buzzes away as it should.

·
6,779 Posts
Grey wire goes to the CDI

Put it in first gear, kickstand down, don't pull in the clutch and push the start button. You should hear the fuel pump. This will prime the fuel circuit. You may have air in the lines. After priming it for a minute or so try to start it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grey wire goes to the CDI

Put it in first gear, kickstand down, don't pull in the clutch and push the start button. You should hear the fuel pump. This will prime the fuel circuit. You may
If I put in in first with stand down, still nothing happens.

Just found out its a ytx9bs in there and should be ytx12. Should this make that much difference?

I got so convinced the junction box was where I should be testing the grey wire. What an idiot, I'll check cdi when it stops raining

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess what I need to know is, will the CDI, if it fails stop the fuel pump from priming or working?

·
6,779 Posts
If the CDI fails, no start. If the grey fails no start. Troubleshoot before you start buying parts. Look at the sticky in this forum that I created called by bike won't start (or something like that). Go through all the steps. There are many reasons these won't start.

·
6,779 Posts
Check the fuel pump relay. Under the riders seat, on the right rear IIRC.
Fuel pump relays are blamed for a lot of failures but they rarely fail. With the dozens of ZX7's I've bought (more that 50) that didn't start, many of them came with multiple fuel pump relays. I had a gallon size bag of them at one point. Not one of those bikes had a bad fuel pump relay. It doesn't mean they don't fail, just too easy to start replacing parts without troubleshooting. Go through the list to not get into the replacing good parts game and waste money .

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Look @ the numbers.

How old is bike
How many miles
How many thousands of times that key switch has been turned off and on.....

Start @ the key switch. Disconnect it from the main harness, (under gas tank), and start jumping the terms, testing continuity/current, etc., and go from there. Its not uncommon for a cold solder in a switch to go bad... give u juice for that, but not enough for this...

P.S. thats one fewkin' DIRTY junction box, so for me, ALL molex plugs are suspect for corrosion/oxidation

1 - 8 of 8 Posts