Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the stock Bridgestone "hub covers" as my shop owner calls them. I've managed to get a solid 4500 miles on them, mostly riding 2-up. They still have not past there wear marks yet, but the front end feels a bit flaky and twitchy when I enter a turn ramp or corner that has cracks throughout.

I was told to get the newer Pilot Road 3's which are a sport touring tire based off the dual compound Pilot Road 2's. I am being told by the mechanic who also rides a 14 and doesn't usually recommend something he himself doesnt use.

I've read the specs, and my one track day this year will probably be on a BMW1100 sport at Cali SuperBike school.

Is there another tire you guys would recommend (Pirellis, Metzlers, etc.) that you would think will really do a job that's truly superior to the Pilot Road 2s?
Also, is $525 installed, sound about right?

TIA

·
Registered
481 Posts
Unless you ride a good bit in the rain, get the II's. Just make sure you go with a 190/55 whichever one you choose.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
The comparison reviews I've read said the 3s were better in the rain only. The 2s were better in the dry than the 3s. Is this beemer going to be trailered to track? if it is you might consider this tire for a weekend of track riding. They are supposed to last as a trackday tire. You don't need WARMERS either !!
http://www.gomtag.com/product/15140/name.htm

Your beemer will look rather stunning with these skins. Don't you think?
Some of the other riders will look at you funny. Can you handle attention? You will be getting some.

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
Pirelli Angels, Dunlop Roadsmarts and Conti Road Attacks are also good choices. I am currently running PR IIs, but if there's a better deal on any of the above the next time I need tires, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. I would avoid pure sport tires unless you are fond of changing them often.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got rid of the stockers on the first twitch and they weren't at the wear strips... It IS the tires. Crap, imo.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have my 5th set of ST Angels ready to install. I hated the OEM tires, I tried some Dunlops, and Bridgestones, but then tried the Pirelli Diablo Super sports and that was it for me...until tire wear had me installing new tires every 4K miles. I get 6-8K on the ST's.

Southwestmoto
Motorcycle Superstore
Jake Wilson

Has tires in the $240-$260 range shipped and no tax.

It cost me $30 to have them mounted and balanced with a new valve stem. I hand carry mine to the shop, but if on my bike he charges $50.

I think you are over paying by quite a lot.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i never used rd 2's, but i have been running rd 3's for over 4k now and they have still plenty of tread left. i also ran the pilot pures for a while plenty of tread left when i got rid of them at about 4-5k i think these rd 3's will last me until about 6500 to 7k. i don't ride in the rain so i couldn't tell you how they track. they have a lil vibration above 110 or so and my boy on his k12 said the same thing, he loved the 2's but didn't care alot for the 3's

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
$525 installed sounds high.

I am not a good enough rider to detect the tires sliding, or I have been very lucky to not have squiggly tires. I thought the Bridgestone BT 014 OEM were ok but when they wore out at 3250 miles I put on Dunlops Q2's, strictly on price, $395 installed. I liked the Q2's fine and they lasted 3600 miles, but I was riding the bike a lot and buying tires every three months. I replaced the Q2's with Dunlop Roadsmart, the two compound sport/touring tires, they lasted 5800 miles and performed well, including some serious shoulder scuffing in fast mountain roads in CO, they were $305 with wheels off the bike. I am now on my second set of Dunlop Roadsmart and when it's time to replace them I'll shop for price again and probably go with Roadsmart again.

Prior to this run of Dunlops, I don't remember when I used them before. My local dealer keeps recommending them and giving me good prices on them. That's a good combination.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I was told to get the newer Pilot Road 3's which are a sport touring tire based off the dual compound Pilot Road 2's.

TIA
$525 is way too high.

If you ride fast go the Pilot Power 2s. They stick!! The road series are good long distance great wearing tires. But don't expect them to stick like the softer compound PP 2cts.

Go to Jakewilson and get the lowest price, then call motorcyclesuperstore and give them Jakewilson's price and they will match it. Also ask motorcyclesuperstore for one of their recommended installers near you. Have the tires shipped directly to him. Then ride the bike over when they come in and its turn key. Figure around $250.00 for the tires plus $90.00 for the mount and balance, if you just ride the bike in (which is what I do).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I ride PR2s and LOVE them. Yes, I've even done a nice track day on them as well. That being said, I can get a set installed (I bring the wheels in) for under $300 (190/55 and 120/70). :headscratch

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems like the 2's are the general consensus when Michelin is in the running.
I am fortunate enough to only use my bike on decent weather days. I used to use my old BMW R60/5 and my Yamaha Seca 650 as commuter bikes. Dems were da days. My only rain experiences with the 14 were not by choice. I once was headed home from Woodstock, NY in the Catskill Mtns. and it was pouring from the night before and it didn't look like it was going to stop! We got soaked for 120 miles but I never felt like the bike was losing control.

I asked my dealer's service manager for the 2's after reading multiple posts about them, on our ZX forums. He responded, "If you like the 2's you'll love the 3's". Maybe he has a higher profit margin on the newer models. Although, he never recommends anything that he himself has on his 14.

I appreciate the responses.

·
Administrator
58,566 Posts
I currently have the stock Bridgestone "hub covers" as my shop owner calls them. I've managed to get a solid 4500 miles on them, mostly riding 2-up. They still have not past there wear marks yet, but the front end feels a bit flaky and twitchy when I enter a turn ramp or corner that has cracks throughout.

I was told to get the newer Pilot Road 3's which are a sport touring tire based off the dual compound Pilot Road 2's. I am being told by the mechanic who also rides a 14 and doesn't usually recommend something he himself doesnt use.

I've read the specs, and my one track day this year will probably be on a BMW1100 sport at Cali SuperBike school.

Is there another tire you guys would recommend (Pirellis, Metzlers, etc.) that you would think will really do a job that's truly superior to the Pilot Road 2s?

TIA
Sounds like the mechanic is in for quite a commission at $525 installed.
After reading your riding habits and seeing the low miles you put on and you only ride in decent weather, I think you'd be happy with a sport tire. Why do you want a high mileage touring tire to try and get 10K miles out of them when they'll be old and need replacing before their time is up due to wear?
If you got 4500 out of OEM tires, that's awesome. I replaced mine at 3800 with Bridgestone 016s and now have Dunlop Q2's. I also can't tell a huge diff but I like the fact that i can have fresh tires every couple of years.
My current set of tires was about $220 installed (I brought wheels and tires in to Cycle gear)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, $525 is waaay too high. I run Michelin PP2CTs, (I am a big fan of these tires). The rear is the 190/55 profile. I got front & rear shipped to me for $250 to an APO Box from SBTG. Even w/ the rip off job the shop here in Italy charged me to install them, I still paid no more that $320 for tires & install.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Admittedly, I am a bit confused about the Michelin line-up and this group's recommendations about the Pilots and Pures.
What are the pros and cons when comparing the Power Pures, Pilot Power 2CTs, and the Pilot Road 2's and Pilot Road 3's? Could someone breakdown the main differences between these? Michelin's naming convention seems a bit loopy. Maybe I'm just loopy :runaway. I've read up on our opinions on these tires and they all seem to blur a bit. Even on the Michelin site, I'm bouncing all over the place (no pun intended).

Here's my riding style. I have low mileage because, unfortunately I had a break in my riding career for a year and a half because of a back injury. Otherwise I would normally ride ~ 3000 miles per season.

I am a speed freak, and I like to pole position through modest clumps of cars, as opposed to lane splitting in metro area traffic. So I task my tires to carve across multiple lanes, flipping from one side of the tire to the other, while manipulating the highway setting at high speeds (between 70 and 140).
Also, when a highway opens up, on straightaways or highway entrances, I enjoy sudden acceleration, holding it at a top speed for 5 or so seconds and then idling down to a speed that won't make my daily accessories to include handcuffs :eek:hno.

That's the gist of most of my loops, being a Long Island rider in a semi-full time congested suburbia, unless I have the opportunity to do some modest twistys upstate in the hills and mountains. But even there, there's very little opportunity for knee scratching.

So I need a tire that can take high speed flipping, and long tenuous slab driving to get to the better sweet spots. I am not looking for a tire that gets high mileage. I'm willing to give up mileage wear for traction dare. "A" ratings in all three categories, I suppose.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, why is a 190/55 profile recommended on the 14? What are the advantages?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Also, why is a 190/55 profile recommended on the 14? What are the advantages?
The taller profile allows for quicker turn into corners. Almost falls right into them.

Admittedly, I am a bit confused about the Michelin line-up and this group's recommendations about the Pilots and Pures.
What are the pros and cons when comparing the Power Pures, Pilot Power 2CTs, and the Pilot Road 2's and Pilot Road 3's? Could someone breakdown the main differences between these?
This tells you everything you are asking:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3175

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the link. According to Michelin themselves, the Road 3's stop 15' sooner than the 2's in a wet road condition (they're using ABS). That's pretty significant. And dry road performance is equal to or better than also.

So other than dragging my pivot points, why would I choose a Pure or Pilot over the Roads?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Thank you for the link. According to Michelin themselves, the Road 3's stop 15' sooner than the 2's in a wet road condition (they're using ABS). That's pretty significant. And dry road performance is equal to or better than also.

So other than dragging my pivot points, why would I choose a Pure or Pilot over the Roads?
The pilot powers or 2cts are going to be cheaper, Maybe as much as a hundred bucks. The pures are more of a hypersport tire. Some people track the 14 and run the pures. Some riders really like the pures, others don't. I understand they can be real sensitive to tire pressures. Buy some 2cts if cost is the determining factor right now. Buy the road 2s if not. I think you may get one to two thousand more miles on the rear tire with the 2's over the 2cts..

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
The Pilot Road II's are a two-compound tire as is the Pilot Power 2ct. Just so's ya know.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Having had Pilot Powers,Pilot Power 2CT,and now Pilot Roads 2.I can say this.The Powers stuck like glue and warmed up really fast.Lasted 2000 miles.The power 2 Cts didn't warm so good and lasted 3200 miles.The Roads 2 don't seem to warm at all but I bet they last.I don't need a full on Sport tire as I don't really fly around corners like I used too.If I crash then I'll get the new bike and run sport tires.
Craig

1 - 20 of 21 Posts