Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the middle of January, I picked up my 2012 ZX14R in candy surf blue. Absolutely amazing bike. It totally does not feel the weight, is incredibly comfortable for someone as small as me, and is an absolute dream to cruise on. I was more partial towards using it as a sport tourer, but the grin on your face after WOT in any gear was simply amazing.

Last sunday I noticed I had a bit of chain slack. So using my pit bull stand and my tools, I set it back to the factory 1 inch. I have a bad habit of not lining up the adjusters, so I decided to ride it around my apartment building to make sure it was straight. I concluded it was straight and touched the front brake.

All I remember is thinking "This is what locking the front brake on a bike is like" and then hitting the ground as the bike lowsided. I did a barrel roll before getting back on my feet. My 'gear' consisted of alpine stars leather boots, speed and strength jeans, and a T shirt. One thing I can tell you, is if your head hits asphalt without a helmet you have an amazing ability to right yourself. I was on my feet in time to watch the bike flip into a ditch(it caught the side walk :angry ). It landed inverted, which pretty much totaled it. I'm meeting with a claim adjuster tomorrow. I'm very glad I was carrying insurance.

I remember driving through a puddle in my apartment complex near the car wash area. I'm confident that I had soapy water on my front tire at the time of the crash. Overall, the ER said I'm fine. No real injury, but I do have some road rash and a closed fracture in my toe.

Right now I'm a bit upset I've trashed my bike, but am glad that I am making a quick recovery. I am normally an ATGATT rider, but had a habit of not wearing my gear if I was just working on my bike checking something. That won't happen again.

I'll try and grab some photos before the insurance takes the bike, it's pretty awful.

Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man, that sucks. Good to hear you're OK and you didn't knock your head. The machine is replaceable, being a vegetable in a wheelchair could have been the outcome. Count your blessings, and learn from your mistake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When you replace this bike, perhaps you might be interested in the fine line of bikes offered by Suzuki?

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Glad to hear your ok ,about the gear lesson learned . Last time I was down was 1990somthing and I didn't have enough gear on . I got rashed bad ,this is when I learned my lesson .

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
"so I decided to ride it around my apartment building to make sure it was straight. I concluded it was straight and touched the front brake. "

"watch the bike flip into a ditch(it caught the side walk ). It landed inverted"

That is a massive amount of speed in a parking lot to "Check" if something is mechanically sound on your bike man.

glad you are OK though. butt....
and just to be clear, AGATT = All Gear All the Time. you got frickin lucky man.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That really sucks.I crashed my ZRX in 2003 with a helmet on doing about 45.I
highsided it and hit my Shoei on the side.Drove it back home.And just layed on the floor moaning.Wife got back and said why aeren't you in the hospital.I had bruised ribs and head trauma.I was lucky to have my helmet and I allways wear one.
Craig

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
That really sucks.I crashed my ZRX in 2003 with a helmet on doing about 45.I
highsided it and hit my Shoei on the side.Drove it back home.And just layed on the floor moaning.Wife got back and said why aeren't you in the hospital.I had bruised ribs and head trauma.I was lucky to have my helmet and I allways wear one.
Craig
+1there is a reason old timers (like me ) always talk about safety and not over doing it and gear etc we all crashed at one time or another . Most of us know someone who got hurt bad . I worked with two guys who had permanent damage , neither could ride anymore but still had to be near the things they loved (bikes) . Coincidentally they both had really bad leg injuries with bad limps and months or years not being able to walk . It had a big impression on my young life .

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
After I destroyed my 900 Kaw I didn't ride for eight years.My legs and back were hurt pretty bad in my twenties.But I always had a helmet on.Bought a new 83 GS1100E when I turned 30 and didn't wreck anymore.Until 2002.
Craig

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch. I'm glad you did get back to something you enjoy. Right now every time I see a motorcycle I keep thinking "I can be on a bike again tomorrow if I want to, but is that a risk I'll take twice".

In a way, the thing that bothers me most is even with the full knowledge of the risks of riding without gear, I chose to take that risk. There's no one else to blame for my injuries, it's all on me and my decisions. I'm concerned that I'll take that stupid risk again and won't be so lucky as to be walking and talking the next day.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You sound like a young guy, but with enough sense to consider the fact that you might not, at this time in your life, have enough self control (or maybe self-preservation) to avoid making potentially fatal motorcycle-related decisions in the near future. Perhaps you should take your insurance money, invest it for a few years, and after you age a bit, consider getting back aboard a bike. You live on the Florida coast...why not take up sailing, or golf, or ballroom dancing....or something that won't otherwise kill you if you make a mistake or have a brain fart?

DW

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The down side of motorcycle anti-lock brakes has, up to the present, been low-speed parking lot sliding, during a turn, on gravel, loose, or slippery surfaces....hmmmmm...kinda like what he did.

DW

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Umm, I thought the 2012 zx14r had anti lock brakes?
Idk what ABS you have been using, but in my experience ABS has to be designed not to activate at certain speeds otherwise it will detect a legitimate stop (IE the wheel not rotating any more) and think its "locked" and force the brakes to let go.

And this is not a nice thing on a hill.

·
Banned
438 Posts
The down side of motorcycle anti-lock brakes has, up to the present, been low-speed parking lot sliding, during a turn, on gravel, loose, or slippery surfaces....hmmmmm...kinda like what he did.

DW
According to the OP he was traveling at a higher rate of speed, enough to flip the bike end over end?
And " barrel roll" him.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
According to the OP he was traveling at a higher rate of speed, enough to flip the bike end over end?
And " barrel roll" him.
Yeah...

Looking back at that you are right. I think OP was doing 75 mph in a parking lot.

And even with soapy water on the wheels, he would have had to do more than just touch the front brakes.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
And " barrel roll" him.
So what are you saying IXLR8,CokeCan, hydrogen18 or whomever you are these days? Are you saying the OP is a Troll?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts