Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Following JamminJere's advice, I have replaced the plastic luggage rack on my bike with one made out of aluminum in preparation for the Givi E250 universal mounting base. Twisted Throttle told me that there are issues with the plastic rack on the C14 not being strong enough. The plate I have made is 1/4" aluminum. Just a flat plate with countersunk hole for the stock bolts and bushings. Like Jere, I will spray it with some rustoleum I have that roughly matches the arms that hold it.
I called a friend of mine in Cali that owns a five axis machine shop and asked if he would design and turn out a replacement rack for the C14, and will be sending him some pics and measurements tonight or tomorrow. He talked about duplicating the stock rack out of aluminum, and/or making a quality base for the Givi universal. If anyone is interested, please post here, so I can tell my buddy that he can start. Its pretty simple, so shouldnt take long.

Thanks,
Reese

·
Registered
164 Posts
That sounds good,

I have bolted the givi plate to my rack as well ,but I won't be loading too much into my top box as it does look a bit weak.

So now to find someone in the UK to knock up some ally racks,

or should I have a ham fisted attempt in the garage with my black and decker jig saw and the dremmel :scared

Stu..

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm having a plate made out of ally here in the UK to replace the plastic rack. It is being sized and shaped (apparently being cut by water jets!!) to take the Givi universal plate. It will also have adjustment slots to allow the top-case to be fixed forwards or backwards to suit individual pillions. I should have it later this week. I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives. Cost is £95.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mounted my givi using the e121 plate through the existing plate with some very large repair washers to spread the load, not intending to put any excessive weight in it but will watch this post for developments and perhaps alter my opinion as and when necessary.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bear in mind fellows,

Even with the ally or steel plate there will still be minimal flexing of the plate and arms/handles of the bike... flex is good.. it prevents snapping. but too much flex promotes the fatique of the metal.. like bending a butter knife back and forth until it weakens and breaks..

Stu, becareful with it bolted to that plastic rack... I heard someone.. I believe it was scooter that hit a bad bump on the road and his Givi went sliding...:scared

There is specific order of installation that needs to be followed...(or you can learn by hard knocks like I did) when you install the E121 plate. you'll need to dremel the bottom of the E121 a little where the bolts mount the new rack to the bike, so it sits flat and straight. Also.. save some time by bolting the E121 plate to the luggage rack first.. leaving the hardware loose... then mount the whole works to the bike tightening the rack to the bike, then finally the E121 adjusted where you want it and tighten it down.. You'll see how little clearance is there between all this and the tail light. And you'll understand why I did it that way.

If anyone needs more info... let me know

Hope this helps someone..

Jerry

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I have read Jerry's instructions several times, and hope to be following them early next week. Below is the link to my buddys shop, he is interested in C14 accessories since the market is so fresh. He'll be reading up on this forum to see what everyone wants to have developed.

http://www.fifth-axis.com/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Reese,
I AM INTERESTED IN THE PLATE, KAWASAKI IS COMING OUT WITH THEIR OWN HARDBAG BUT I DONT THINK THEY ARE CHANGING THE PLATE, SO COUNT ME IN ASP. THANKS JIM

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought I was the only one. I broke mine on the trip to Tahoe. I had a temporary solution that did not work -- My fault. But then I put the Real GIVI generic rack on and it broke again -- another way. I had a buddy offer to cut me one out of steel. Alum would be much better.

Folks, be carful and not mount the rack too far back on the rack. Try to center it a bit more to reduce the stress on the plastic rack.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI, Adam at Twisted Throttle assures me that the E250 universal will work fine, but after looking at the pics, I will replace the metal clamps included with the kit with flat washers on the underside of the plate. My neighborhood machine shop told me I can pick up my plate tomorrow. UPS tells me my case, mount etc should be here Friday. Will try to remember to post pics of everything step-by step.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Garryg

Hi I need one of these plates ASAP . Just replied to Fred but need one in the UK .Could you email me and provide me with contacts so I can get one made up. Im off to the Pyrenees on the 30th August and need one before then..!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Paul G, give Tim Martin a call on 07917 196 708. I believe he'll have 3 ready tomorrow (all being well), one which is for me, so you should be OK for your trip. Just so there's no confusion, I haven't fitted one yet, although he did use my rack and bike and the Givi universal plate as templates. He's also used a card version as a model on my bike which seemed to fit perfectly. I'm pretty sure it will do the job in a quality way. Also if there are any problems I know he'll fix them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gary

Thanks for this post. I rang Tim and reserved one! Rang him back just to say be careful that when fitting the universal plate that you can still get the seat off.
I didn't fall into that trap but it was more luck than judgement!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts