Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my mom just found out that i got a bike cus i decided to let her know the truth. it feels good to know that i have nothing to hide now, but the hard part is my dad, he's the kind that has bad short temper. would hit and throw things at you, even if you're almost an adult..such as i, he would still try to kick my ass.

how did you riders deal with your parents when you first got your bike?

they want me to sell the bike but i really don't want to. i know they're worried and all..but, it just so happens that i like what i like. other than friends and girlfriend, i really have nothing else to do that would make my life more exciting. i drive an old 91 toyota pick up, i am a full time student, and i work part time...i need something that would help me forget everything.
because when i ride it feels really good...i can forget about friends, family, and girlfriend issues.

so share your stories....sorry for the long write.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sounds like u need to let them know "atleast im not doing drugs"

I did the same thing to my mom, but i had a bike for a year with out her knowing. When i finally told her, she was ok with it. i am 23 tho.

you need to stop being a pussy and man up to your father. if he hits you smash him back...

good luck, and start looking for a place to live hahhaa

·
Registered
236 Posts
:respect at 15 my parents could not afford a car so I got a motorcycle instead ,been riding ever since...:rofl

·
Registered
379 Posts
:respect at 15 my parents could not afford a car so I got a motorcycle instead ,been riding ever since...:rofl
Just like you man, got my first one at 15 and been riding since. The only touch part was making them undertsand i still want to ride after i went through a barrier at 140kph. Now i ride as much as i want seeing i dont speak to them anymore now that they are trying to sue me for my house as they have run out of money:banghead

·
Registered
582 Posts
It's a perception.

When I was at colledge I bought an AJS 500 (Yeah I'm ancient) Lobbed up home on weekend and my mother said "Want to come home for the odd weekend? Get rid of the bike!" Financially coming home for the odd weekend was handy so the bike went. Bought a DT250 in the early seventies. " Oh That's a nice little bike!" So I became a 30 year dirt rider.

In other words it wasn't a "Hell's Angels" motorcycle.

Stick to your guns. Play it cool. Don't get nicked by the law and after a while things will settle down.

Got into road riding after retirement but I'm sure I heard ashes rustling in an urn when I went past the cemetry the other day.

gammac

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. Be honest and open with your folks - any bad vibes that come from them knowing you have a bike will be far easier to deal with than if they find out you haven't been straight with them.
2. Enrol in some kind of advanced training - make sure your folks know you're doing it - if they think you're being responsible about bike ownership then it should ease things.

If these don't help with your old man then my best advice is "Duck"!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
i'm 19 turning 20 this month if anyone else wonders.
Hey bro, i know exactly how you feel... BTW i just turned 20 in May so i know how you feel...

K, this is going to be a long one...

I got my first motorcycle when i was 17, i bought a brand new 05' ZX6R. The bike was in Ohio, but i live in Washington... I told my parents that i got the bike and they fliped!!! I knew that i couldn't ride the bike back to Washington, and the only truck we had was my dads (02' F350), he was super pissed but he gave me the truck to use to bring the bike back because he was worried about me killing myself on the way back... But he told me that he doesn't want to see the bike ever by the house... So i stored the bike in various places for about 6 months (friends house, storage)... I got the bike Thanksgiving weekend of 05', and sold the 6 in May... You couldn't believe how proud my parents were of my decision on selling the bike... But they where in for a suprise... Late summer of 06' i bought a 05' GSX-R 600, like they did the first time, they flipped a b*tch again... So my dad again didn't want to see the bike, which was fine with me, so every day i would drive to my bike every morning and ride to work at 6am... Kinda harsh but i loved riding, i couldn't help myself... Anyway, i sold the Gixxer in January of this year and was kinda sad... Again my parents were happy the i go rid of it... But i had a feeling that, that wasn't the end of my riding.... So about a month ago i told my parents that i was going to go to the dealership the next day and but myself a new ZX10R... They didn't like to hear it, but they knew that enough was enough, and let me keep it at home... Now i'm staight with my parents and riding and having even more fun....

Hope this helps you in your future decisions SilverSurfer87, be honest and if you love riding that much, stick to it, but dont' piss them off, keep it at a friends house or something, just to ease the tension they have against you having your bike... Dont do anything stupid, and DONT have cops knocking on your door... Keep it safe and they'll understand that you are old enough to take resposibility for your actions, and that they need to let you take advancage of that...

Good luck... Hope this helps...

·
Registered
184 Posts
My parents told me not to get one, but when I went to the dealership to just look at them....I fell in love. I just brought it home and said fuck it. It makes me happy and you only live once so you might as well enjoy it. Live your life to its full potential. So your dad might try to kick ur ass, so what. Everybody gets there ass kicked once awhile. But after that ass kickin its good to know that you can jump on YOUR bike and take off forgetting it all.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My Dad is an ex-motorcycle cop, and he was dead set against me getting a bike.

Whenever I suggested it, his exact words were "When you go down to Arthur's (local funeral home) and pay for your funeral, then you can have a bike!!"

At eighteen I bought my first bike. I went out and looked at an 86' Honda Interceptor 500. I fell in love with the bike. I had already gone and gotten my beginner's license, and had ridden some friends dirt bikes growing up.

I bought the bike and rode it home. Pulled in the drive and my Dad came out and said "What are you doing? Riding one of your friend's bikes? You don't have a license!"

I informed him that I did have a license, and that I had just bought this bike. He blew up over it.

I calmly and rationally said to him:

"Dad, you have two choices... you can be mad at me and not talk to me, and I'm going to keep the bike. I'll probably ride like an idiot and potentially get into an accident somewhere along the line... or, you can help me learn, tell me what I need to know, help me to be a better, smarter, safer rider and let me enjoy this because it's going to happen either way, and I'd like your help"

Not another word was said about me having a bike.

When I had a bad accident on my bike in 95 (transport truck left a 4x4 post 8.5' long on the highway for me) and I totalled the bike, tore myself up etc... my Dad was the first one telling me to get back on a bike as soon as possible... for if I didn't, I never would.

Be honest with them... explain to them that you love it, and that you're not going to be one of these idiots that is a statistic in the obits. But say what you mean and mean what you say.

Good luck

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just told my parents i was buying a bike. My mom said i would give her a heart attack and my dad said he would set the bike on fire if i brought it home. Well i picked up a 99 ZX6 from a friend of mine and just brought it home anyway. I explained to my parents that im going to be taking it slow for a while and that I planned to take the DMV saftey course(which i highly recommend you do). Last week i sold the 99 zx6 and bought a 07 ZX6r. Again parents weren't thrilled but if you take the responsibility to tell them before you get something and let them know you understand the risks, Im sure they will understand.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
good luck with the folks, my parents are cool with it, im 23. they just ask me to be careful

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm 38. My folks cant tell me what to do anymore. lol. Some parents will never understand. Some will. Get the parents involved with bikes. Invite responible friends over that own bikes and maybe they will change their mind. Have your parents join the rider course with you so they can learn how responsable you can be. My mom still doesnt know that I smoke or drink.(not while riding) She would kill me. She told me to sell the bike. I said no. I dont talk to her much. My dad is much more cool. My dad rides a 250cc scooter almost every day. He loves it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I first got my bike I stored it at my buddies house for like a month or two before I let my mom know....and I was 24 and married.....she was cool with it when I finally showed her....she said she liked the color..haha. My dad just told me to be careful...no parent who never rode wants their kids on a bike especially our type of bike. But it's easier to just tell them and let them know that it's yours, you are paying for it...so they don't have a say. Good luck with your dad

·
Registered
60 Posts
i lucked out man...this is going to make my dad sound crazy, but when i could sit up on my own my dad put me on the tank of his sportster and held me and rode around the block. riding is just what my dad and i do

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hell man, I love these stories!!!! Please be patient, here's mine:-

My parents hated the idea when I was in gr.12 and told them I needed a 50cc for school, but bus fees and sport obligations sort of forced them to get me one.

When I started to work, I first bought a Suz GS550 and they almost chased me out of the house. This was a monster in their eyes! A year later bought a CBX1000 6-cylinder and my mother said good-by to me although I kept on living with them, thinking I was going to be killed the next day! Eventually I had 4 bikes simultaneously under their roof, and eventually they got used to it.
When I started dating my wife, my Father-in-law refused for her to ride with me, although he himself had a bike in his younger days. So I would pick her up with the car, drive over to my parents house and we would go bike riding!

The beginning of this year, my son, 22, said he wants to buy a bike. Guess what??? I went out with him and bought him a ZX10R!!!! Crazy? Yes!! But I bought myself a ZX6R and we ride together!!! Now at least I can show him the ropes on that monster instead of him tryin to find the limits himself!! (He's already done 10000km (6000miles) in the last 5 months!!!!)

Nothing beats this father-son relationship on bikes!!!!!!! My mother-in law that now stay with us after my father-in law passed away a couple of years ago, even bought him some nice bike-goodies!!!!!!

Point???? keep the relationships good and get them involved!!! Show you dad the technology and the beauty, and maybe he will buy your first replacement tyres!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My rents really didnt care, my mom would always say "I've got lots of life insurance on ya" nice eh? so i bought a 84 VFR500 for $500 after putting a shit ton of miles on it I finally sold it. Only beacuse my dad passed away and i didnt want to leave my mom hanging..... that was then.... Now years later my mom and my girlfriend both hit me with that "bikes are dangrous shit" my reply is "Ive got lots of life insurance" that comes with being old! I just need a bigger garage :smile

1 - 20 of 35 Posts