Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the following as a response in the ZX6 section. I'm reposting it here so more people can get a look at it and tell me if you do this.

Heres a quick test see if your bike is running on all 4 cylinders. Don't be scared, I do it all the time.

Fire the bike up and let it run enough to get some heat in the exhaust. Lick your fingers and quickly touch the header where it comes out of the #1 cylinder. If it running on that cylinder it will be hot enough to sizzle the saliva off your fingers pretty quick. Repeat this on the header tubes of all 4 cylinders. When you get to a cylinder thats not running, it wont be hot enough to sizzle your spit. It will be noticably cooler. Go ahead and laugh. It sounds like a stupid test but it will tell you which cylinder is dead in 10 seconds. I used to do it all the time with my old KZ1000. However it doesn't have a fairing so the header is exposed. I hadn't considered whether your fairing will prevent this test. Has anyone else ever done this? My dad taught me it, and it works.
T

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah I do the same, the knack is not to keep your finger on the pipe more than you have to, otherwise that will get sizzled as well as the spit.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Yep mate I did it on my KZ1000j...... and I still do on my ZX

·
Registered
449 Posts
I posted the following as a response in the ZX6 section. I'm reposting it here so more people can get a look at it and tell me if you do this.

Heres a quick test see if your bike is running on all 4 cylinders. Don't be scared, I do it all the time.

Fire the bike up and let it run enough to get some heat in the exhaust. Lick your fingers and quickly touch the header where it comes out of the #1 cylinder. If it running on that cylinder it will be hot enough to sizzle the saliva off your fingers pretty quick. Repeat this on the header tubes of all 4 cylinders. When you get to a cylinder thats not running, it wont be hot enough to sizzle your spit. It will be noticably cooler. Go ahead and laugh. It sounds like a stupid test but it will tell you which cylinder is dead in 10 seconds. I used to do it all the time with my old KZ1000. However it doesn't have a fairing so the header is exposed. I hadn't considered whether your fairing will prevent this test. Has anyone else ever done this? My dad taught me it, and it works.
T
I have done that! and it works, But I would say use a (digital or analog)multimeter w/Temp.rod(sears $19) and touch the pipe with the rod and your temp with show up on the screen,compare the readings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts