Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ZX9R c2 has a Veto Plus alarm fitted, which helps with insurance. I have an Optimiser 3SP trickle charger, which is in regular use.

The bike was on charge all day Saturday and Sunday and I took it out last night for a ride. This morning however the battery was dead again after a few turns, which weren't enough to fire it up!

Can the alarm really kill it so quickly or do you think my battery is on its' way out?

I've got an official replacement for the bike but don't want to use it if the same will happen.

On another note, can having the battery on charge when it is not in use all the time gradually destroy the batteries ability to retain the charge, as due to go to Ireland on it soon and do not want to have any trouble with the battery when we park up overnight.

Guidance will be appreciated.:smile

·
Registered
649 Posts
How old is the battery?? If it's been a few years you may need a new one. I'm not familiar with that type of charge but I use the Battery Tender and I've heard of people getting uears and years out of one battery. I also have a Scorpio alarm system on my bike and don't sem to have any problems with it draining my battery.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I checked the user guide on your alarm and it says it draws less than 2.5mA (.0025Amps). That is not enough to discharge a good battery over the weekend.

A typical motorcycle battery is rated at 20 Ah or Amp Hours which means it will theoretically deliver 20 amps for one hour. On the other hand it could also mean 2 amps for 10 hours or 0.5 amp for 40 hours.

At 2.5mA it would take 4000 hours or 166 days to reach half charge.

If you have a multimeter that measures DC amps I would, with the bike turned off, disconnect the ground lead from the battery and measure the current between the lead and negative battery terminal. If the reading is more than a couple milliamps (mA) you have something that is draining your battery when its off. Start pulling fuses starting with any accessories like your alarm till the drain disappears to identify what it is.

If there is no drain it is either your battery or your charging system.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I replace mine every year, batteries don't like the heat...... cheap insurance that I will start every time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all your help....I've fitted a new battery, will see how we go.

The only drain appears to be the alarm, which is minimal, so hopefully I'll see an improvement.

Any more trouble and the alarm gets it! ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts