Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 92 C model with 48K miles on the clock. I got it several weeks back from a guy out of Montgomery Alabama and rode it home to Jacksonville, FL. Per the previous owner the engine was rebuilt 18K mikes ago and is now 1109cc, was "jetted" and has a K&N filter.

On the ride home I cruised about 90 mph on I-10 and got an average of 24mph. Based on the fuel consumption, the "muddy" throttle response and lack of power I figure it's jetted WAY rich. Well earlier tonight I pulled the tank and did a little investigating. Here's what I found:

Pulled the tank and set it aside. First thing I notice is there are like 8, 5/8ths inch holes in the back side of the air box!! HOLY SHIT!!! No wonder it seems rich!! The carb float bowls are pressurizing at speed but the air box is puking air like there's no tomorrow. Also there IS a K&N filter installed and there's a "DYNOJET RESEARCH" sticker on the box.

I also notice some red tubes inside the air box visible through one of the 8 holes. I figure "that doesn't look like a Kawasaki part" so I pulled the air box apart and found this "octopus" of tubes all connecting to a central billet aluminum piece with a brass adjustment screw. The was it's mounted, the brass screw can be turned with a straight slot screw driver from just above the air box. There's an individual tube going to each carb (4 total) and each carb has had a small brass hose barb added over one of the air inlet holes just below the main throat of the carb. Funny thing is, none of the tubes were properly installed onto the hose barbs on the carbs. The whole system was basically doing nothing.

I ASSUME this "kit" should allow fine tuning of the high speed enrichment circuit when at 3/4 or more throttle. Am I correct?

Also since I had the air box off I pulled the slide out of the far left carb to check the needle. Turns out it looks like a stock (no adjustment grooves) needle with a .028" shim under it. So much for DynoJet jet kit...

Soooooo since I was in there I connected the hoses to all 4 carbs as designed, sealed up the air box (using foil tape for now) and serviceds the K&N filter. I put the tank and tail section back on and warned the wife I was going for a test ride and keep her cell phone handy.

I warmed her up for a few miles and could tell already it was running much better with crisper throttle response. I made my way over the an on ramp for I-295 and rolled hard on 2nd gear. It pulled MUCH better up through the gears and when I hit 3rd it kept pulling pretty clean :crazyloco . It's still not perfect but I have a major step in the right direction.

Now the questions:

Do I keep the current jet and needle set up and try tuning that "kit" thing in there now or do I install a Factory Pro jet kit (I already have it sitting on the work bench)?

Has the installation of that "kit" fucked my carbs up so I can't remove it without replacing the carbs?

Does anyone know anything about this "kit" and where can I read about tuning it?

I think that's it for now.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The tube /box affair is a Flo-Commander.
We can't tell you to keep your current jetting or not if we don't know the numbers (MJ#, clip position on needles, # turns on AS).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The tube /box affair is a Flo-Commander.
We can't tell you to keep your current jetting or not if we don't know the numbers (MJ#, clip position on needles, # turns on AS).
Cool. I found the Flo-Commander website so I'll read up on that.
I haven't gone so far as to pull and measure the main jets (I don't trust any numbers on them at this point). The needles do not have grooves and clips, they appear to be stock. And what is an "AS" ? Air Screw? Do you mean the Flo-Commander?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts