Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a late model air scoop will swap with an A1 model? I don't like the platypus nose on my 2000 like I did my 05.

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
2000-2001 Upper fairings and airscoops are different than the 2002 and newer ZX12's. To change the scoop you must use the later fairing. I don't know if the lower fairings will cross over to the different generation upper though. You need to do some research to verify that before you spend any money on this project.

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has ever tried to cut one of those down a bit. Certainly the ugliest part of an otherwise beautiful motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
It should, at the very least, be cut back to flush with the fairing.

Why Kawi ruined the bike by sticking a fish mouth out of the front is beyond me.

DERP.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The scoop is in an area of higher pressure, righ before the bike frontal area where the aerodynamic pressure builds up (until someone reaches the sonic boom). So it's taking advantage of that little gain at high speeds (top) for intake purpose. There is a compromise between Aesthetics and engineering. So they went to efficiency = engineering.

Now you know. :dblthumb2:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
In the past they used RAM (Rapid Air Moviment) to get presure. In this project they try to get pressure direct from a source.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
He isn't wrong this time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to a friend who works in composites about cutting it down. He said it would fray at the cut and start to separate. So that's out.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
What kinda cheap crap are they made of? ABS, PVC, fiberglass, carbon fiber can all be cut and reworked.
Seriously. Plastic won't fray. If it is the OEM unit, it is just plastic. Cut it back, sand the edges and burnish with a torch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seriously. Plastic won't fray. If it is the OEM unit, it is just plastic. Cut it back, sand the edges and burnish with a torch.
It doesn't look like plastic at all. I've cut and shaved the rear fender with no issue but this is definitely not abs or pvc.

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
Maybe some other 12R owners will pipe up and tell us whaqt exotic composite KHI made these scoops out of. I know the 12R (like the 14, surprise, 14 owners) has some magnesium engine covers.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
It doesn't look like plastic at all. I've cut and shaved the rear fender with no issue but this is definitely not abs or pvc.
Looks like standard glass filled ABS to me. When you cut down glass filled, you need to sand the edges carefully and use a light coating of body filler to deal with the "fuzz".

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It may be ugly, but maybe gives 3 more horses at 130 up to 6hp at top speed!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like standard glass filled ABS to me. When you cut down glass filled, you need to sand the edges carefully and use a light coating of body filler to deal with the "fuzz".

Cool, ill take it to my friend with this info. He can make it look awesome.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Use a dremmel for much better results. Not a saw.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts