Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im looking into doing something new for my bike...i want to put som money into the suspension now. i dont drag race, or do any twisties through the mountains, im just an everyday street rider. and i was thinking it would be cool to do something like air suspension on my 1990, zx1100c. but im not familiar with motorcycles and suspension that much, im 25 and this is my first bike. i like to put upgrades and perfomance parts on my bike, and ultimetly i want something very custom and very high performance when im all done with modding it. so i was thinking air ride suspension would be something cool i could do. i know this is probally not a prefured system to go with if im looking for performance, but i like the cool factor, what my question is, is how would an air ride suspension in the rear affect the driveability of the bike? would it make rding it terrible, smooth? is it more for just show bikes then something you can actually drive? any advice and oppinions are welcome, thats why im asking before i buy.

·
Most likely to get banned
982 Posts
dont do it.. you have 0 room for a compressor let alone any kind of air tank or valves... leave the bags for cars and trucks...

·
16,062 Posts
Not only would it be complicated, but I would think it would negatively affect how the bike handles.
Suspension tuning is a HUGE part of how the bike handles and handles properly.
It's magnified much more on 2 wheels, than on 4.
It sounds like a cool mod for a show bike and conversation piece, just not real confident that it would be very practical for daily riding.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I have a Hagon rear shock
Front has Racetech springs, emulators

Both nice improvement over stock!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I say go for it. I'm looking at modding the front forks on mine to accept some kind of internal piston so I can apply an air charge and lift them for riding. Maybe an air-cup type system would be a good way to mod the rear shock while retaining the rear spring too.

Either way mine is going to be slammed when parked getting coffee :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I say go for it. I'm looking at modding the front forks on mine to accept some kind of internal piston so I can apply an air charge and lift them for riding. Maybe an air-cup type system would be a good way to mod the rear shock while retaining the rear spring too.

that'll be trick.....:crazyloco

·
Registered
94 Posts

the one problem with air ride suspensions is leaks ever see the factory air ride cars riding defated lol they wear out and leak and are over complicated dont think I would want to ride a bike that would have a chance to have the suspension go away while im on it leave it for the shows and cars and stay alive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts