Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my air filter. I was going to use an OEM filter. Or should I go w/ a K&N

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I vote for OEM paper.
it's quieter at full throttle.
It doesn't need cleaning nearly as often as a BMC or K&N. My BMC was filthy at 700 miles. So i cleaned it every 2 weeks or around 500 miles.
No soaking cleaning, drying and reoiling needed with paper.
No remapping needed.
I ended up selling it for forty and buying an OEM paper after several thousand miles.

They really aren't that expensive, so you might try one and see how you like it. You can always resell it.

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts
i vote KN.
No remapping
Clean it whenever you want
Lasts forever
Never buy another filter
I just swap out the OEM filter and put in the KN and then take the KN out and put the OEM in and clean and dry the KN and then swap them out whenever I want. Sounds like alot but I always have a clean filter.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i use bmc race filter, but you do have to clean often i do every couple of months or whenever i think it gets dirty. i actually like the louder air box/ throttle noise especially when i am tucked low on the tank. i am not sure i would run race again if i had to buy, but bmc or k&n street.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I like and use the BMC. It just depends on where you live for how dirty it gets. I have gone 2 to 3K miles before and it was still clean. But I say if you are in Tampa Clark it is dirty as crap.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It doesn't need cleaning nearly as often as a BMC or K&N. My BMC was filthy at 700 miles. So i clesned it every 2 weeks or around 500 miles.
How does one filter need cleaning more often then the other? Dont they both do the same thing? Being serious, dont really understand how one would stay cleaner then the other?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
How does one filter need cleaning more often then the other? Dont they both do the same thing? Being serious, dont really understand how one would stay cleaner then the other?
it is made by a different material and also uses oil to keep the filter operational/conditioned which will attract more dirt.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have a Pipercross race filter.You wouldn't believe the material.You can see through it.They claim that Ford's rally team in Europe uses them and thats alot of dirt.I got a K&N recharger kit today.I changed my rear sprocket today
and cleaned and waxed my wheel.will pull the filter out tomorrow.
Craig

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
If one filter needs cleaning more often, it obviously attracts and traps more dirt than one that stays clean-looking. I think I'd rather clean the dirty filter more often than have the motor ingest the dirt that passes by the clean-looking one.

BWI had a K&N that I would remove and clean and re-oil each winter with the K&N cleaning kit I still have. BWII has a BMC which I haven't looked into yet. Hope the K&N kit works for the BMC as well.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If one filter needs cleaning more often, it obviously attracts and traps more dirt than one that stays clean-looking. I think I'd rather clean the dirty filter more often than have the motor ingest the dirt that passes by the clean-looking one.

BWI had a K&N that I would remove and clean and re-oil each winter with the K&N cleaning kit I still have. BWII has a BMC which I haven't looked into yet. Hope the K&N kit works for the BMC as well.
I hope it works with bmc too because thats what ive been using!

·
Registered
9,979 Posts

I was thinking that too and unless I was racing probably wouldn't use a transparent racing filter. Racing, at least high stakes racing, usually entails equipment that's designed to last for one race or whatever the rules are. My budget precludes disposable transportation; I'd like my equipment to last a lifetime. If that means giving up a little performance, so be it.

HH, how you digging the Blue Whale II (BW II)?

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
I was thinking that too and unless I was racing probably wouldn't use a transparent racing filter. Racing, at least high stakes racing, usually entails equipment that's designed to last for one race or whatever the rules are. My budget precludes disposable transportation; I'd like my equipment to last a lifetime. If that means giving up a little performance, so be it.

HH, how you digging the Blue Whale II (BW II)?
I am still getting used to the increased power and decreased weight. The latter is easy, but the former takes some discipline. Wind it out in first gear and the front wheel comes up just like my old '69 H1:scared

A long weekender to Arkansas in May should tell me how close I am to being able to tolerate multiple long-distance days. All the comfort mods are done, so it's just a matter of getting back into riding shape. Overall, though, I'm loving it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I run a BMC Street filter & I like it alot.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
[/IMG][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
[/IMG]

This is my Pipercross Race filter I pulled today.It's been in for a year.Thought it would look terrible but I was shocked.The second filter is blurred but is towards the motor.Looks clean to me.I used a K&N filtercharger kit.Finished up my sprocket job.Torqued the nuts to 51 LBS like the manual says.Adjusted the chain like I like it and lubed and cleaned the wheel.Put in the race map from Brock to compensate for the -2 rear sprocket.Took it out and whacked it in first and the front wheel jumped.Just like a good Ninja should.Old mans modified bike indeed!
Craig

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been using K&N for years on everything that I own and I have been pleased with the product. When I received the K&N for my 08 I was disappointed with the quality of it compared with the OEM filter. The base was flimsy and you had to take care when mounting it onto the rails. Also had to use grease on the edges of the filter to ensure a proper fit. Before I get a filter for the 2012 I am going to examine all I can handle at the bike shop. Race filter for the street is a bad idea. Suck in too much stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Like was stated before. Because a filter gets "dirty" faster does not mean it is a bad filter..... The exact opposite, if it is getting dirtier quicker it is trapping more particles.

I run KandN street filters in all my vehicles, and oil filters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts