Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replace the shitty yoshi r&d half pipe and headers, cleaned the carbs and did 2.5 screws out, installed a stock pipe and she STILL WAS RUNNING ON ONLY 2-3 cylinders..... So I take her apart, examine the plugs and plug wires. Came to the conclusion that my wire needed to be replace. I took plugs 1 and 4 and installed them in 2&3 respectively, took plugs 2&3 and installed them in 1&4 respectively. Now she idles fine and I'm going to take her to the gas station and put some gas in her and ride her hard in hopes she will submit. Here's a vid of the idle.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Damn your valves need adjusted big time bro! And likely your valve cover cam chain guide is toast along with your tensioner.

Where was the gas leaking from? I saw some dripping while the engine was running.

Josh

·
Registered
272 Posts
i seen that gas leak too. fix that before riding out. dont wanna turn into ghost rider. valves do sound loud. might even wanna change oil brands.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the gas was coming from the bottom of the carbs. the bike was so loud before that i couldnt hear that noise. valves valves valves.....:banghead

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Keep in mind these engines sound like diesel tractor motors even with everything adjusted and tuned. Just the way it is, but your engine is in a lot of hurt at the moment... needs some TLC

Josh

·
Registered
843 Posts
hey man i had the same problem running on 3 cylindrs till it warmed up i got some dyna coils and it seem to fix that problem and a balistic battery

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Keep in mind these engines sound like diesel tractor motors even with everything adjusted and tuned. Just the way it is, but your engine is in a lot of hurt at the moment... needs some TLC

Josh
+1

Sounds a little rough but not TOO bad. Luckily there's no cam removal required to adjust the valves on the '93-'95s so it's a pretty nice job.

The fuel leak may just be a matter of a float bowl not tightened enough. Worst case, you need to replace a float bowl gasket. Also, check to make sure you didn't pinch one of the gaskets when tightening the float bowls down, that'll cause a leak as well... Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Having the valves so far out of whack will also cause cylinders to behave in improper ways with some intake valves hanging open when they should be closed or not opening enough and the same with exhaust valves.

Josh

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took the carbs off again and readjusted my screws to 2.5 turns out again. noticed that im leaking from the drain of bowl #2. tightened the screw and loosened it all the way and it leaks like a siv all the same. :banghead . im going to get the valves adjusted whenever i get the grant money to go to school... need reliable transportation.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my other question is how do i adjust the valves? my nose is currently in clymers....

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!

:banghead Tinkered with my accursed zxr750 some more. Still leaking from the bowls. Ordering replacement gaskets ASAP. I also managed to crack the inside of one of them where the overflow screw goes :banghead Ordering replacement bowls. Upon inspection of the 5th TIME taking them off, my slow jet was happily bouncing around under my float...:eek:hno:banghead

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has been an important update from the e.b.s

Update: got new gaskets and plugs. Installed the gaskets in place and installed the plugs. Old plugs were shot to hell on 2.5 turns out. All but one were foul. So readjusted them to 2.25 screws out. She is very happy now. No gas leak, no misfiring but still running rich on one of the carbs. I think it's #3 but I'm not totally sure yet. Going to dive in one more time in hopes that this'll be the last time until I get my bike a complete tune-up with an engine overhaul and such. Did WOT application after warming up around the neighborhood and the response was at its best since I've owned her. I feel that racing heritage come right out. :eek:hno

·
Registered
125 Posts
ahh im not the only one that got an afro enginered bike lol. i feel your pain. my zx7 is like 3 diff models all together.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news everyone!

I've recently acquired funds to put into the bike!. She is currently being serviced at the local shop for the following:

-Valve adj.

I have recently ordered the following to install myself:
- stock swingarm
- used replacement carbs off of Watson 29
- D&D Exhaust off of Watson 29
- Cooling fan w/ motor
- Fan switch
- Carb Bowl Gaskets for next cleaning

Cant wait to get her back from the shop and put ngk's in her!!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Good news everyone!

I've recently acquired funds to put into the bike!. She is currently being serviced at the local shop for the following:

-Valve adj.

I have recently ordered the following to install myself:
- stock swingarm
- used replacement carbs off of Watson 29
- D&D Exhaust off of Watson 29
- Cooling fan w/ motor
- Fan switch
- Carb Bowl Gaskets for next cleaning

Cant wait to get her back from the shop and put ngk's in her!!
Doesn't sound like a bad first bike (is it) but at least you're doing it right by the sounds of it. Getting the valves adjusted and carbs synched will do wonders. Sucks you spent money on a D/D pipe; they are so awful sounding you're going to need/want a pair of ear plugs. Good luck with the build, we need more pics though.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doesn't sound like a bad first bike (is it) but at least you're doing it right by the sounds of it. Getting the valves adjusted and carbs synched will do wonders. Sucks you spent money on a D/D pipe; they are so awful sounding you're going to need/want a pair of ear plugs. Good luck with the build, we need more pics though.
pics to come after she comes back from the shop and before and after d&d. i wanted a legitimate pipe instead of a half assed yoshi rd-3 that was chopped and tack welded. :runaway

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have a d&d on my 7 right now loud as all hell though
As long as people can hear my ass comin down the road, i'll be fine:lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts