Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up everybody. my name is kevin and ive been reading the forums for a little while now. just now got off my butt to sign up. anyway. ive rode dirtbikes growing up my whole life and been on a few different road bikes. im looking to buy either a 6r or 10r this summer. so i was wondering if i should start out with the 6 or since i have riding experience if goin with the boss (zx10) would be sensible. also i was wanting to know how different the performance was between the two. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey man i was in the same boat as you, i rode dirt bikes all my life and a few street bikes. i wasnt sure what was the best bike to buy, i was not sure if the 6 was able to handle me because i am 6'4" and 210 lbs but i ended up with the o5 636 and i could not be happier it has alot of power and handles great! its really up to you just take your time with whatever bike you get and dont push your limit untill you get all the basics down first.

·
Registered
201 Posts
there is a difference in the way a dirtbike and a roadbike handle. I've seen alot of people who grew up on dirtbikes and jump on a streetbike thinking they were hot [email protected]# and total out a nice streetbike. The 10R is a nasty bike and will dominate pretty much any 1000 cc bike on the market today. For a starter bike I would suggest that maybe start off with an older 600 and get some street miles under your belt before stepping up to the big dog.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree with ZX9Racer, definately go for a used 600 or a 1000 first. Ill sell you mine for $9,000 if your interested lol. Low miles only been dropped once hahaha

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Why does this question always come up from "new" riders?

Why is everyone so anxious to jump on a litre bike?

Again, Dirt and Street are 2 totally different things, and being able to handle a 250 2 stroke in the dirt doesn't... I repeat DOESN'T qualify you to hop on a 1000cc 176rwhp street bike. PERIOD.

Again, not to say that there aren't any that can't handle it, but why is everyone in so much of a hurry to get on something like this?

The ZX6R is relatively close in size to the 10R with minor variations.
It's top speed is not that far off of the 10R.
It may not get to top speed as quick, but it's not far behind.
And your insurance will definitely be cheaper if you are a new rider that has never been insured for a street bike.

I've been riding for 16 years. I am by no means an expert rider, and I've stated before that I will never take my 10R to its full capabilities, but I worked my way up, riding 500cc, and 750 bikes, and finally bought a litre bike this past year. IN MY 16th YEAR OF RIDING.

The 6R is plenty fast enough, has enough torque, will fit your height/weight, looks as good as the 10, and will save you money on insurance.

Get a 600 (used or new your choice) and ride it for a year. After that, if it's not enough for you, upgrade.

When you got your first car, did you immediately go out and buy a 600rwhp corvette because you drove one in a video game? Same thing applies, only you don't get 3 lives this time.

Just my $.02, and that's coming from a guy who used to work in the towing industry and was called on enough occassions to scrape up bloody motorcycle parts off of the road, telephone poles, and other cars.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why does this question always come up from "new" riders?

Why is everyone so anxious to jump on a litre bike?

Again, Dirt and Street are 2 totally different things, and being able to handle a 250 2 stroke in the dirt doesn't... I repeat DOESN'T qualify you to hop on a 1000cc 176rwhp street bike. PERIOD.

Again, not to say that there aren't any that can't handle it, but why is everyone in so much of a hurry to get on something like this?

The ZX6R is relatively close in size to the 10R with minor variations.
It's top speed is not that far off of the 10R.
It may not get to top speed as quick, but it's not far behind.
And your insurance will definitely be cheaper if you are a new rider that has never been insured for a street bike.

I've been riding for 16 years. I am by no means an expert rider, and I've stated before that I will never take my 10R to its full capabilities, but I worked my way up, riding 500cc, and 750 bikes, and finally bought a litre bike this past year. IN MY 16th YEAR OF RIDING.

The 6R is plenty fast enough, has enough torque, will fit your height/weight, looks as good as the 10, and will save you money on insurance.

Get a 600 (used or new your choice) and ride it for a year. After that, if it's not enough for you, upgrade.

When you got your first car, did you immediately go out and buy a 600rwhp corvette because you drove one in a video game? Same thing applies, only you don't get 3 lives this time.

Just my $.02, and that's coming from a guy who used to work in the towing industry and was called on enough occassions to scrape up bloody motorcycle parts off of the road, telephone poles, and other cars.
Well put you all should listen to this man verry closely, I think he has an idea of whats going on.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would add, pay for some expert training, worth it to teach you how to handle a supersports bike & the sort of hazards to look out for with a bike on the road. Any reasonably powered bike will get an inexperienced road rider into all sorts of trouble very quickly if they're not careful to start with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents worth.
I agree totally with Swoosh. I have been riding for 36 years, raced motocross for 10, road raced for two. Having kids stopped that. My biggest road bike untill this year was a ZX-7. The new 600's are faster than this bike and can get you into trouble fast enough if you do not learn what they need.

My first liter bike (06 ZX-10), the fast GREEN one, is a real kick in the pants blast but deserves respect from even the most experienced rider.

Wait for that liter bike. Be honest with yourself. Learn to ride something that will be a little more forgiving of an errant throttle hand. One you truly get some street bike handling skills, you will appreciate all that power better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seeing as I am new to these forum thingies I thought I would confirm what the others have said.

There is no real diffence between the ZX6 and the 10, only the power at the higher top end speeds. The ZX6 is an awesome machine that you need to keep the needle pinging to get the statifaction you want and all done a pretty sensible speeds. After riding big bikes for 20+ years now I find it hard to go back to a smaller capacity machine, that's one of the reasons for owning the a 56 reg. GREEN ZX10R.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Kawasaki ZXR400 is the best school of learning .
The 600 cc supersport class is a pure amusement, is perfect to learn to pilot with some experience.
The 1000cc Superbikes class is another history, It is a total challenge Man-machine , without 600cc experience...dangerous
CIAO:thefinger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the 6. I got the 10, but should have gotten the six first. No crashes or mistakes as of yet, but I know I would have learned faster had I gotten a six first.

Look at it this way, when you get some miles under your belt and some more $$ in the wallet you can go out and get that 10 you want, and convert the 6 to a track bike!!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get the 6. I got the 10, but should have gotten the six first. No crashes or mistakes as of yet, but I know I would have learned faster had I gotten a six first.

Look at it this way, when you get some miles under your belt and some more $$ in the wallet you can go out and get that 10 you want, and convert the 6 to a track bike!!!!!
Yes, try some months on the 6
and upgrade to 10 for some miles,
sit back on the 6, you will ride the 6 much faster than before.

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
I'm with them ^^ ....... the big bikes move out so fast that many people cant think fast enough and therefore crash, it takes time to build up for top speed and power machines, if you don't take your time you die..... or worse for your freinds and family you die in pieces.
Heed well and live long

·
Registered
14 Posts
dude get the ten. you will have the 600 for a couple of months and want more. I did. I got a 600cc bike and about a month or two later i needed something faster so i got the 06zx10r. Great bike untill so asshole stole it. anyways on normal roads you will never get to expierience the power of the ten untill you take her on some open roads/interstate. It was a great bike to drag racing with. In the future i am looking at getting the zx14 and puttin a turbo on her. Should see some good times at the strip with her

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it is in how much trottle control you have I started of with a gixxer 1000 and yeah it kept me on my toes and scared the shit out of me a couple of times but I got used to it. The bike will only go as fast as you let it, a 600 will kill you just as guick as a grand, I say see what ever you get the best deal on and you feel the most comfortable on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i got a 10 and its my first bike had only ridden dirt bikes before that, the main thing is it doesnt matter if its a 6, 10, or 14 its all in how you treat the bike, the bike will only do what you tell it to do if you respect it it will respect you, if you jump on it day one and act stupid ie try to see how fast it goes, etc etc it will hurt you

·
Registered
4 Posts
i got a 10 and its my first bike had only ridden dirt bikes before that, the main thing is it doesnt matter if its a 6, 10, or 14 its all in how you treat the bike, the bike will only do what you tell it to do if you respect it it will respect you, if you jump on it day one and act stupid ie try to see how fast it goes, etc etc it will hurt you
I know this is an old thread, but maybe some other folks are reading this...
I actually started out on a 2007 Yamaha R6 (600) and rode that for about 1 month before upgrading to the 2007 zx-10R... The 10 is much smoother than my R6 and actually behaves in a more predictable 'safe' manner in my opinion considering the same speeds... So if you are normally doing the speed limit I think it does not make that much of a difference if you have a 600 or a 1000. It's just the the 1000 can ultimately go faster and it can also accelerate a bit faster but if you have respect and discipline you can ride the zx10 without acting a fool :eek:hno

I have no plans of doing 180mph anytime soon....

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I agree w/ swoosh too.main thing is to R E S P E C T the ZX-10R!!!!!That is a must or it will bite you hard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with Swoosh, to the extent of not rushing in to these things, I always have to disagree with you a little..LOL. No seriously, Ive been riding for going on 9 years now. Started with a 6R for 4 years, in which I tore to hell and beyond learning on, went to a 9R which I took excellent care of for 3 years, now a 10R in which I am babying and will probably continue on doing so. I bought the 6 brand new to learn on and it was a big mistake, should have either went smaller or at least used. Point is, which-ever you decide, take it slow, because the instant you think youve got them tamed, theyll stomp a mudhole in ya. Forgot who said it, but RESPECT, is the word for the day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts