Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently suffered many mechanical faliures with my Buell S1 lightning.

consequently I am comming home to roost on one of the big four. either Zx10, gsxr 1000, Cbr1000 or an R1.

could some of you guys who have ridden all theses bikes tell me more about;

1 - the riding position....I am 5'10", 200LBS. I have sat on all but the Zx10, I liked the 2006 R1 position best. I am looking for a bike that I can do a few hundred miles with major discomfort (for a sports bike) The S1 was a real pain in the arse after only 45 miles. I am only looking at models with low slung exhausts as I dislike my legs & butt being too hot (again , the S1 was hell in this respect)

2 - 2004 model ZX10 - anyone have complaints with missed shifts ect?

thanks eze

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I can tell you that the '06 10R is a very comfortable bike. I'm 6'6" tall and weigh 220lbs. This is the first bike that I can remember riding long distance with and not feeling like crap when I got off of it.

We did 1200 miles in a weekend and just the ordinary leg extensions required to relieve the knees from stiffening up.

As for heat though, the nice thing is the undertail exhaust, but the bad thing is the undertail exhaust. LOL. You won't notice it on the highway, as it cools quite nicely, but in town at red lights, when the temps are high, you will feel a lot of heat coming from under the bike. However, being smart and wearing leathers for safety means you won't really feel the heat on you.

I have friends that ride the R1, Gixxer1, and the CBR RR, and they all say the 10 is a very comfortable bike. My friend with the CBR1000RR says that he can't believe how comfortable the bike is for taller riders, he's 6'2".

Definitely take one for a spin, you won't want to give it back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my 2006 10R but the vibrations through the bars is dreadful. I have to stop all the time to get feeling back in my fingers. They go numb after about 30 minutes.:angry It's just my right hand though.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Habu: Stop gripping and ripping the bars. Have a more relaxed hand position on the bars and you might find that this is not an issue.

I find that my hands start to tingle a little too, and then I realize that I'm squeezing the bars too hard.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
196 Posts
get the 10R, I like the bike so much I got 2 this year.

just don't get the yellow one, they don't corner as well as the green. ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Nothing corners as well as the green one! LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Habu, I dont know what your sportbike experience has been, but Swoosh is right, you need to watch how you're holding the bars. You should be using your ab muscles quite a bit to hold yourself up, but it's very easy to relax them, lean on the tank, and put the pressure on your wrists. That's what causes the tingling in your wrist.

As far as the first post goes, I haevnt ridden the 06 10R's (yet), but I almost bought an 05, and Kawi has fixed most of the problems they were known for with clutches. You shoouldnt feel a missed shift. this day in age, its all about finding the bike most comfortable to you with the best features, and buying. Get some seat time on a 10r and you'll see. The 06 ergonomics are morerelaxed than the 04-05, and the powerband isn't as severe. The 04-05's were known for being a beast (in a good way), and had a big increase around 10k. The 06's are more powerful but are also more linear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"ab muscles"? I used to have a "six pack" now i have a party ball does that count?

ABSsolutly the right answer though, I still occasionally have the same problem on longer rides when i come up on some twisties and wonder why i cant ride very good!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love my 2006 10R but the vibrations through the bars is dreadful. I have to stop all the time to get feeling back in my fingers. They go numb after about 30 minutes.:angry It's just my right hand though.
I had plugged 25g of LEAD(for tire balancing) into the bar end, the vibration problem seems solved.
U can try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts