Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, been browsing around and decided to sign up since I'm hopefully buying my first Zx6r tommorow. I had one question to ask though since I'm new to motorcycling. The bike is a 1998 zx6r and has 30 thousand kilometers and lady driven. The woman told me the timing chain had just been replaced. Is this normal for a bike this age or an indicator or something else? The bike runs very smooth and has no ticks or knocks or rattles in the engine. Everything else on the bike seems to be in mint condition. She is asking $4200. Please tell me what you guys thhink!

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't know about prices over in Canada so can't comment on whether it's a good deal or not but timing chain at 30k seems more than fair enough. At least she had the decency to do it before trying to sell it.

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Depending on overall condition, the price seems to be on par with around this area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Yea the bike seems to be in MINT condition from what I could tell. I only know the basic stuff to look for like oil leaks all over, oil on the forks, check the wear and tear on the chain and sprockets, listen for ticks or rattles, etc. Basically I was wondering if having the timing chain replaced at 30 thousand would mean the engine was abused or driven really hard. But I'm guessing if that was the case the rest of the bike wouldn't be in such good shape either??

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it looks like you say it does, the price is good .
As long as you give it a good once-over and there is no leaks etc the pipe is not to black and it runs nice the timing chain change should not scare you too much. You could look at it two ways: new chain no problem for the next few years or what was the problem that made the change necessary.

Basic rule: trust your gutt.

Good luck

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't know fellas. I think the price seems high. I bought a pretty mint ZX11 with aftermarket exhaust, carb work polished frame and powder coated wheels, and I paid less than that. Had 10,000 miles when I bought it, 13,500 now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know fellas. I think the price seems high. I bought a pretty mint ZX11 with aftermarket exhaust, carb work polished frame and powder coated wheels, and I paid less than that. Had 10,000 miles when I bought it, 13,500 now.
For a 1990, right? Wouldn't that be the difference right there?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dont forget KawiT that here in the great white north things are a little more expensive.(tax and all that shit, we have free health care)

One thing Goguen04 it sounds like you are having second thoughts about it!!
Dont forget "there is a toilet seat for every asshole" Look around!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i'm looking at a 99 zx6. its got 12xxx miles and in good shape, the dude wants 2000 for it... ( i think i might buy it.. haha ) but thats here in hawaii, so i'm sure its different than anywhere else

1 - 9 of 9 Posts