Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my 600 mile service done by the supplying dealer.I asked at reception would the drive shaft oil be replaced and was told it would. I waited for the bike to be done as knowhere else to go in the area. An hour and a half later the bike was ready and was lucky to recieve the key etc off the mechanic who serviced the bike. No problems reported and asked did he change the drive shaft oil ? The reply was NO as it would be done at 4000 miles. I thought I read somewhere on this forum it should be done at 600. I checked the handbook when I returned home and the only thing I could find was " FINAL GEAR CASE OIL " Is this the same thing as what I call driveshaft oil ? If so it should have been replaced. As the dealer is 45 miles away from me I am not sure what to do next. What would you advise ?:headscratch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I changed mine when I did my own 600 mile service, as i don't have any local dealers that I honestly trusted to do it, and the one i bought the bike from is 2 hours away. I'd definately change the rear oil, and yes, you are talking about the same thing, but it's really easy to do. The owners manual gives step by step directions, and it only takes around .2 quarts of gear oil. I picked up a quart and should be able to get atleast four changes out of one bottle, so I plan to do it every oil change. It's really an easy job to boot!

~Allen

·
Registered
98 Posts
Be sure to go out and ride your bike for at least 20 minutes to warm up the final drive oil before draining and use the side stand while draining. More oil will come out that way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oil changed

I have changed the oil tonight and am tempted to do it again in a couple of hundred miles to flush anything through as it can't do any harm.All the same though according to the book it should have been done.
It's obviuosly as they say. Bike owners know more about bikes than the people who sell them do why when you pick it up do they show you where the horn,lights and wheels are etc as though you have never ridden before?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts