Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

adjustments after break in period.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zx1109 
#1 ·
:rant To all fello zx11 riders.Im still waiting on my zx11 to be done.Its still in the shop,my rebuild is done, new head cause i lost one of the cam caps,put in a 1109 piston kit,crank fixed,rods etc..But now the problem is a oil leak.they put dye in the motor to see where the leak is and it turns out that its comming from the trans. Someone had drilled a bolt out and put a bigger bolt in its spot for some reason,so now its in the process of getting sealed up!Its almost june and im more than ready to ride ive been down for 4years:bonk in the shop!<long story>My question is .....do you need to have the valves adjusted after #of miles? at once my mechanic said so,and ive herd this before but now since the bike has become a pain ....it seems that he says,you dont have to do it ,(ive seen many go without it for 10,000 miles and its not a problem.)is this true? I want to do all the right things when i get her back on the road,ive spent lots of money on this bike,it truley was a basket case!:crackup

#2 ·
I think its easy enough to check the clearance, so you probably might as well do it. On the other hand, brand new heads tend to get out of tolerance faster because the valve seats get beat into the head quite a bit. I think a rebuilt head already has the seats beat in pretty much and probably wont lose a lot of clearance.
T

#3 ·
not to bad to check clearence on your own.

Thanks Kawi_T, ill check into all that after i get my seat time in on my new-to me bike, well when ever it gets done!Im calling almost every day to check the status on it.i want my bike back bad,your pic remindes me of my 91.Ill be learning to do some of my own maintenance in the future,you guys are alot of help.

#4 ·
Yeah, I just had the top end done on my 94 and after 500 miles I took it back and they had to shim it some, so it's a good idea to do it no matter what the guy tells you. Plus do a compresion test on it as well just lets you know if the rings seated the way they should, as well as the valves, this was all told to me by mechanic and some buddies who seem to know what they are talking about. Hope this advise is helpful to you.

#5 ·
:mfclap Thanks for the info firetapped,yes it is a big help! Well im still waiting on my bike,....the oil leak problelm has been solved,but now i had to get my tank sealed because of a little rust,i bought a tank off of ebey and had it painted.Were using some stuff called read coat.i should be onthe road soooon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.