Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been gone a while kids!!! Looks like nothins changed but some of the names :nana still a bunch of whores on here :rotflmao:mfclap

Need to add a manual fuel shutoff to comply with the ECTA-LSR rules and Im wandering if anyone has done this mod before?

Im thinking of getting a second main fuel line and try to find a couple of the quick connect male ends to put on a manual valve and just put it in between the two lines? seems simple .....or better yet a valve that already has the same connectors on it would be awesome...but I think I would have better luck wishin for a superhot 6' red head and her best friend to be in my bed waiting on me tonight......hold on, be right back.............. ................................................................................................................Damn it!! no luck there either. So I guess if there are any better ideas out there or if anyone knows where to get a valve like that or has a fuel line for a 06-11 ZX14 they want to get rid of cheap, let me know. Thanks :rofl

Also looking for a steering damper cheap just need it to comply dont realy feel the need for one but wont hurt and required for compliance.

and a lsr chain guard, and swing arm extensions.....

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Since no one answered yet , that's a tough one since I imagine that the fuel shut off has to be visible from the outside of the bike . Cobbling one out of stock parts seems like the best idea . Maybe cut the line with an abrasive wheel and use crimp style clamps to put them on hose barbs ( I remember the Honda magna uses a petcock with 2 barbs because the tank is under the seat ) . Just keep in mind that is a pressurized line @ 44psi so whatever you do make it sturdy as hell . Sorry I don't have any good ideas but comb e-bay maybe they have something that will help or maybe just give you an idea .

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
hey blue welcome back bro, how you been? the only thing i can think of it to set it up like a peacock. cut your current line a ways before the fuel pump and then splice in and use hose clamps on each end of your valve. maybe pretty simple to be honest bro. the lines that go to your pump/tank. this way you can keep your connector to pump and don't have to worry about it leaking. good luck my friend. are you getting ready for the track?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Iron8, yes it has to be operable from the riding position. Still a bit curious as to why its even required when the electric fuel pump when killed, shuts off the flow of gas from the tank by default? but thats the rule. I can see if it was an older bike or one where the pump isnt located in the tank as the fuel could simply just run out of the tank with no way to stop the flow. But on an intank pump setup seems a bit on the redundant side?

@EZ- WHATSSSS UPPPPPPP!! Yeh been away for several months lot going on started my own business and blah blah (no time for me).... then here we are. So I decided to do this LSR thing and a trip to Deals Gap in June as well. So?
Yes my idea was to simply buy a second full line with connectors on both ends of course still attached and try to find a valve or some scrap fuel line ends with the male connector still attached that I might be able to cobble together a valve in the middle of the two with the correct quick snap fittings so I could take the whole setup off when I'm not racing and just restore the single full line back to oem. But finding those parts???? like the tubing ends with the female connector? and or valve with those connectors probably a feat in itself.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P.S. there are a ton of the fuel lines on eBay for anywhere from 8 to 20/30 dollars no prob there but the tubing with the female ends on it??????.......Anyone???.....Anyone????.....

·
18,914 Posts
P.S. there are a ton of the fuel lines on eBay for anywhere from 8 to 20/30 dollars no prob there but the tubing with the female ends on it??????.......Anyone???.....Anyone????.....
Ok the only thing I can think of that might work is if that line is a standard size in Japan you might see if it fits a car fuel line . It looks like a quick connect from a fuel injected car . Maybe a quick trip to the junk yard will net you your steel line with the correct end .

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Hey Blue, great to see you on here again.

Have a look at a Bosch solenoid, I use them at work for remote fuel shut off for our marine heating systems. Pretty sure you should be able to come up with one that can be remotely operated and still take the pressure as it is fairly low PSI.

There should be enough room at the bottom of the tank to directly mount the solenoid or at least with a 90 degree elbow, they are pretty low profile.

OP

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
be sure that the fuel flow is the same rate with the tap installed

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Manual shut off

Well after a few calls to ECTA and some input from a constant competitor at the ECTA LSR events and a talk with Brock Davidson (I live 3 minutes from his shop :)- I have surmised that as I anticipated (or hoped more so) it is not required on a fuel injected bike with the pump in tank. Any gravity feed system it is required on. So one less thing to hack up on the bike to run the event. It just isnt worded as such in the 2011 or 2012 rule book.

On another note.....anyone have or like to sell a ZX14 GPR steering damper??? the cheapest I can locate is 358$ online.

Thanks for all the input there fellas, much appreciated!! :rofl

·
18,914 Posts
Well after a few calls to ECTA and some input from a constant competitor at the ECTA LSR events and a talk with Brock Davidson (I live 3 minutes from his shop :)- I have surmised that as I anticipated (or hoped more so) it is not required on a fuel injected bike with the pump in tank. Any gravity feed system it is required on. So one less thing to hack up on the bike to run the event. It just isnt worded as such in the 2011 or 2012 rule book.

On another note.....anyone have or like to sell a ZX14 GPR steering damper??? the cheapest I can locate is 358$ online.

Thanks for all the input there fellas, much appreciated!! :rofl
I was wondering about the fuel shut off rule myself . Sounds like you dodged a bullet . It seems like steering dampers of almost any brand are 300 + bucks (that is if they're worth a shit) . :angry

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey Blue sorry I just saw this post....I'm also doing the run and I was asking the same questions. Tim said we didn't need it. I just bought the lanyard shut off and need to add that along with the mirror block offs. I've safety wired my front end and I'm pretty much good to go....Now just have to wait for July!!!! Good Luck man!:crazyloco:crazyloco:crazyloco

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet! hope to be at that event as well. Im going to the first one next month then we"ll see from there. Safety wiring this week and Got my MPS kill switch which if anyone cares doesn't fit the 14 without "extensive" mods to the bracket. The brake master assembly angles back into the space behind the bar where it would clamp on and doesn't allow room for the rear block to slide in. So I ordered the PMR unit that replaces the brake clamp front bracket and has the kill switch as an integral part of the clamp. So anyone looking for a MPS tether kill for a 7/8 bar install I have a brand new never used unit for sale since Dan at MPS will only give store credit.....has nothing else I want so thats a waste of money to return....

Well maybe I'll see ya there in July Somefun!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sweet! hope to be at that event as well. Im going to the first one next month then we"ll see from there. Safety wiring this week and Got my MPS kill switch which if anyone cares doesn't fit the 14 without "extensive" mods to the bracket. The brake master assembly angles back into the space behind the bar where it would clamp on and doesn't allow room for the rear block to slide in. So I ordered the PMR unit that replaces the brake clamp front bracket and has the kill switch as an integral part of the clamp. So anyone looking for a MPS tether kill for a 7/8 bar install I have a brand new never used unit for sale since Dan at MPS will only give store credit.....has nothing else I want so thats a waste of money to return....

Well maybe I'll see ya there in July Somefun!!
Blue I bought the PMR unit also! lol Only thing with that unit is the teather is nylon rope. I think we need steel cable? or steel ends at least what's your take on it?

Thanks Blue!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct it has to be a metal cord style. The metal corded one came with mine? thats weird?
I passed tech no problem there was a couple issues as to coolant, the inspector in front of me was grilling the guy in front of me about running standard coolant. So I mosied up that way knowing I had already been told by the guy in charge of motorcycle rules and tech that it was OK to run glycol based coolant weeks earlier. And told him of my conversation about it so after a couple of consults about it with the other inspectors all was approved as it doesn't say anything to the contrary in the rule book. Just as it doesn't say anything about plastic zippers on two piece leathers.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I wont be back until July and or Sept so have fun at June meet if you go.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Looks like I wont be back until July and or Sept so have fun at June meet if you go.
have a good one bro, good luck on the races, i am sure you will rep for the blue monsta's.... :crazyloco

1 - 16 of 16 Posts