Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the community, but have been reading the forums for a couple of years now.
I have an A1 12r that I got mostly stock, other than lowering links and full hindle exhaust system were already added.
My goal is to have a 12 that will run consistent high 8's/ low 9's in the qtr mile, but can also hang on the highway for roll races.
Right now I have 17/48 gears, lowered and stretched on blocks. Hindle headers with aluminum mid pipe. K&N filters, muzzy clutch plates with 3 Schnitz Racing springs / 3 OEM springs. Stock motor, suspension, brakes, wheels, ect. No power commander or ECU flash.
I have some parts put back for this winter so I can stay busy. I have a billet muzzy clutch basket, zx10r rear shock, gonna try out a 16t front sprocket. Also time to replace the stator/rectifier.
Wondering which route I should take from here. Top speed with my current setup is 174mph on GPS, and that is really pushing it when it comes to roll racing on the highway lol. Should I go ahead and get some motor work? Lightweight wheels first? Power commander? Totally open to any advice or suggestions

·
6,945 Posts
You will have to lightened it. Find some lighter wheels as those are stupid heavy. The stock triple is heavy, which is one of the reasons I swapped on a 2011 ZX10R front end. Put an intake cam on the exhaust side. I'm getting Carpenter to port my head and install cams.

Get this first gear instead of doing shorter chain gears. It's the best of both worlds. Strong launch and still a good top gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
57 I appreciate your input, I agree 100% . Other than BST wheels, do you know of any that are interchangable and will save weight? I am fairly limited on budget for this season, estimating between $2000-2500 is what I will be able to invest between now and next season.
I have asked recently about the Robinson gear on the 12r owners FB page. I didn't get very much input, but I think you answered my question already. I had asked if the gear would give good bottom end torque without needing to swap chain gears and sacrifice a lot of top end. I'd really like to gain back some top speed from 174mph to be at least back to 180.

·
6,945 Posts
57 I appreciate your input, I agree 100% . Other than BST wheels, do you know of any that are interchangable and will save weight? I am fairly limited on budget for this season, estimating between $2000-2500 is what I will be able to invest between now and next season.
I have asked recently about the Robinson gear on the 12r owners FB page. I didn't get very much input, but I think you answered my question already. I had asked if the gear would give good bottom end torque without needing to swap chain gears and sacrifice a lot of top end. I'd really like to gain back some top speed from 174mph to be at least back to 180.
If you don't care about being original, I have a set of 06 GSXR1000 forks with Ohlins cartridges, Attack triples and Carrozzeria wheels you could swap on. You would have to get creative to fit the back wheel on, but it's just spacers. I have a spare Kawasaki Attack stem so the front is a simple bolt on, just find rotors and radial calipers of your liking (R6 calipers work great and are light). This is light for drag racing and handles great for the high speed runs. $2500 plus shipping. I'm in Houston.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't care about being original, I have a set of 06 GSXR1000 forks with Ohlins cartridges, Attack triples and Carrozzeria wheels you could swap on. You would have to get creative to fit the back wheel on, but it's just spacers. I have a spare Kawasaki Attack stem so the front is a simple bolt on, just find rotors and radial calipers of your liking (R6 calipers work great and are light). This is light for drag racing and handles great for the high speed runs. $2500 plus shipping. I'm in Houston.
I may have to take you up on that offer if it's all still around in a month or so. I'm located near Wichita ks, I could drive to Houston to pickup if shipping ends up being too high these days

·
Premium Member
6,648 Posts
The Robinson first gear is a must. I have had one in my 2000 ZX12R for about 8 years snd it has been flawless. Doing the 2 intake cams with adjustable cam gears is also very advisable. I’ve done that swap as well and have nothing but good things to say about it. Is your fuel pump still the original pump? They are the weak link on the 2000 12’s. Upgrading is strongly advised. Leave your sprockets and chain for now. Maybe look at making an oil pan window. That’s a flat piece of thin aluminum made to the size of the mounting flange of your oil pan with an opening in the front for oil return. This will keep the oil down low (around the oil pump pick up) during hard acceleration. Learn to tune the lock up clutch.
Lighten your bike. Look at ZX14 or ZX10R forks, rims and swing arm. Stock swing arm is stupid heavy.

1. Get a Power Commander V with the oxygen sensor.
2. Robinson first gear
3. 2 intake cams with adjustable cam gears
4. Fuel pump
5. Nitrous, Turbo or big bore kit
6. Completely seal the airbox so you’re getting all the ram air or boost pressure.
7. Weld the extensions onto your swing arm. Bolt-ons will flex.
8. Ignition advancer

That’s all I can think of for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Robinson first gear is a must. I have had one in my 2000 ZX12R for about 8 years snd it has been flawless. Doing the 2 intake cams with adjustable cam gears is also very advisable. I’ve done that swap as well and have nothing but good things to say about it. Is your fuel pump still the original pump? They are the weak link on the 2000 12’s. Upgrading is strongly advised. Leave your sprockets and chain for now. Maybe look at making an oil pan window. That’s a flat piece of thin aluminum made to the size of the mounting flange of your oil pan with an opening in the front for oil return. This will keep the oil down low (around the oil pump pick up) during hard acceleration. Learn to tune the lock up clutch.
Lighten your bike. Look at ZX14 or ZX10R forks, rims and swing arm. Stock swing arm is stupid heavy.

1. Get a Power Commander V with the oxygen sensor.
2. Robinson first gear
3. 2 intake cams with adjustable cam gears
4. Fuel pump
5. Nitrous, Turbo or big bore kit
6. Completely seal the airbox so you’re getting all the ram air or boost pressure.
7. Weld the extensions onto your swing arm. Bolt-ons will flex.
8. Ignition advancer

That’s all I can think of for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate your advice, that sounds like a good plan of attack. I will post build progress along the way. Since getting the intake cam recommendation I've been searching online to find one for sale, so far no luck. I've even searched for a set of both, same results. So I may have to look around local and buy private party, which I don't mind. But as far as the PCV, Robinson, and adjustable cam gears, fuel pump, ignition advance, sealed airbox, those are all things I should be able to get done before next season comes around.
Feels good to have a plan coming together, not many people in my area know about these 12's so most of my knowledge has come from trial and error over the last couple of years. I'm glad to have people willing to share knowledge with me now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts