Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is a milestone day. Today, March 30th 2012, the ZX has been back on the rode after repairs for 1 full year since my last crash on 1/1/11 - the longest I've ridden without an off in my 4 years of riding (baZinga!)

Here's a quick rundown of my crash history and the lesson I learned and immediately applied. Some of it is basic stuff that you dont know you know until you're in the situation.

Crash #1 - panic braking; dont clamp down. progressively squeeze the front and jus hold the rear constant.

Crash #2 - look where u wanna go, dont stare at your more advanced friend's tail lights in twisties

Crash #3 - *Bambi crash* listen to that voice inside that insists 'not today'

Crash #4 - know your bike; ZX was new to me and it run way too wide for my comfort. I knew how to fix it by suspension geometry but was too lazy/timid and it bit me. Hard.

(I walked away from all except #3)

If someone wanted to say that I crashed my way up the learning curve I'd politely disagree because of the crashes that I avoided and DIDN'T happen. Some were second tests of the previous crashes but all of the avoided crashes had MUCH higher stakes with there own lessons learned.

It'll officially be 4 years riding April 20th. The office pool had me dead in 1 month :thefinger :nana

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Welcome to my club :clap, "The Bad Weeds Club, We don't die easy!" :crazyloco, lol, I don't feel "as" bad anymore, I'm no longer the only retard here that has crashed pretty hard 4 times and lived to joke about it :evil

J/k, I hope you are ok, I walked away from all but # 4 still haven't been able to get on again for about 2.5 years, but hoping to do it soon :smile

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no longer the only retard here that has crashed pretty hard 4 times and lived to joke about it :evil
Hell yes, lol :cheers

#3 kept me off 18 months only because of finances and medical bills from the hospital stay.

And here's to your recovery! :cheers

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
My first and only proper crash, the bambi crash still has me off two wheels. Didn't listen to the little voice... Just over 6 months now. Only thing that's kept me off is winter and finances. Bout bought a new 10 the other day could afford it...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
My first crash was in '69. A drunk took me out for a five months stay in a hospital. Since then I've had maybe 10 crashes over the years. I haven't had a tank slapper yet; only one highside. Rest have been lowsides or the last one which involved clipping the rear end of an SUV. I've found the older I get, the longer it takes to fully recover. Guess that's normal?

Doctor's will always give the patient the worst case recovery hope. Let's see I should be wearing a ful leg brace with no feeling or muscle control in my right leg. I will never be able to operate any motor vehicle because of limited vision and deafness. I should have had back surgery because I cracked several vertibra. And the last one said I'll never be able to ride again because I'll have to use a cane just to walk around. He also said I will have severe arthritus when I get older. well, I'm almost 60. How old do I have to get, doc? i've been real lucky about not getting road rash. For some reason I seem to stay with the bike until I get thrown off in the grass or bounce off a tree......Of course I wear gear all the time.

I just went through a rather extensive physical fittness test to qualify for my current job working at an oil rig site. I passed my 2nd DOT physical with no problems or restrictions. I'm hoping to drop the extra 30 lbs. I'm carrying around my gut and chest area. After a year in the field, I should be in pretty good shape. That is if I don't get killed out there. The oil rig can be a pretty dangerous place. Crash recovery takes some time. I feel a positive attitude, common sense and a little perseverance goes a long way.

one last thing. Don't hooked on the pain meds. I kicked that one too. :smile

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Fortunately, all of my crashes have NOT been because of a car. A couple to hot into a corner and I froze up, locked the front wheel and high sided..... Last 2 were a front tire not properly broken in and warm enough and I pushed it in way to hot to causing the front end to wash out.... think I would learn by now, huh?

@ first I felt like a cornering gawd being so low, but then I kept going down lower and didnt come back up... :squint:tard

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
My first crash was in '69. A drunk took me out for a five months stay in a hospital. Since then I've had maybe 10 crashes over the years. I haven't had a tank slapper yet; only one highside. Rest have been lowsides or the last one which involved clipping the rear end of an SUV. I've found the older I get, the longer it takes to fully recover. Guess that's normal?

Doctor's will always give the patient the worst case recovery hope. Let's see I should be wearing a ful leg brace with no feeling or muscle control in my right leg. I will never be able to operate any motor vehicle because of limited vision and deafness. I should have had back surgery because I cracked several vertibra. And the last one said I'll never be able to ride again because I'll have to use a cane just to walk around. He also said I will have severe arthritus when I get older. well, I'm almost 60. How old do I have to get, doc? i've been real lucky about not getting road rash. For some reason I seem to stay with the bike until I get thrown off in the grass or bounce off a tree......Of course I wear gear all the time.

I just went through a rather extensive physical fittness test to qualify for my current job working at an oil rig site. I passed my 2nd DOT physical with no problems or restrictions. I'm hoping to drop the extra 30 lbs. I'm carrying around my gut and chest area. After a year in the field, I should be in pretty good shape. That is if I don't get killed out there. The oil rig can be a pretty dangerous place. Crash recovery takes some time. I feel a positive attitude, common sense and a little perseverance goes a long way.

one last thing. Don't hooked on the pain meds. I kicked that one too. :smile

Pain meds dont ever do anything, so I never take them, down side is you get used to the feeling of pain and dont know how bad things are, which I think is how I ended with a torn ligament I was told it was just a sprain so I carried on and did my normal workouts lol

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All of mine are errors in my own judgement too. But I've avoided cars as well as objects large and small at very high speeds (the higher stakes non-crashes) and even had an impromptu lesson in trail braking after completely blowing an "S" exit. Thankfully I've never directly impacted a solid oject...but I've ricocheted off a few :angry

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hehe that means we can never ride together, theres only enough luck for one at a time lol
Truthfully, one of my best riding buddies was disowned by his MC because "he crashed too much" (twice in 6 months, then once when I knew him) but there was no one else I'd rather ride with at hooligan speeds in atlanta (in traffic!) lol

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
I am still trying to live down the fact that I crashed the ZX9 the day after I got it. I knew it needed tires, but I couldn't wait two days for them to come in:banghead

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I rode for the first 3 months with a fork leak, and fluid soakd front pads from the forks, and managed to do 145+ and the weight flew off the front wheel and sounded like I was gettin sprayed, the bike got squirly and shaky but nothing else, thats when I decided to fix it lol

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Its funny I did my best riding on the 9, even though I rode the hardest and took the most risks it still lasted me the longest out of all my bikes I still cant believe I crashed it cause my shoulder popped out of place

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am still trying to live down the fact that I crashed the ZX9 the day after I got it. I knew it needed tires, but I couldn't wait two days for them to come in:banghead
Sounds like one of my almosts', I ordered my tire monday was supposed to take the bike down on friday to get the tire mounted and on wednesday night the rear popped, luckily I didn't go down then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts