Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I'm new member, I live in Zagreb, Croatia (Europe), and I joined this Forum because this is a whole new world for me. Under that "world" I mean on bikes like Concours 14 is, because before short time I even didn't thing about buying such a mean-machine. Bikes like "R"-type was never my primary interest, because I prefer BMW GS-series (beside of my maxi-scoot Aprilia Scarabeo 500 GT, I often drive friends R 1150 GS), or big custom bikes. But when I saw pictures od GTR 1400 (or Concours for US market), old speech like "Never say never..." became a new meaning to me. My wife is much bigger fan of new GTR 1400, so I've decided to join this forum (and I joined ONLY this forum because of themes ONLY about GTR 1400, I've no interest about other bikes here...) to learn something new from experienced people whose already driving Kawa's big sport-touring bikes, like ZZR 1400 is.

I'm planning to buy a new BMW R 1200 GS this spring/summer, but I want to learn as much as possible about GTR 1400, just to make good decision.

In short time I collected lot of pics from internet, about 90 smaller and 80 big pictures and photos of new Concours 14, but mainly search is for more precize tech-data, prices and some precious date of coming to market.

For now, I found this list with many specs which I didn't found here, so I meant it'll be maybe helpfull for somebody to give a link on it. I must say that this list is, unfortunately for many od You, written on german language (I speak it also, so it isn't problem to me), but mainly tech-specs will be easily understandible to everybody. List is from official austrian (Europe) Kawasaki site. This is 11 sheets od data and bike-description in the details.

http://www.kawasaki.at/data/download/pdf/zzr1400_produktinfo.pdf

But, in short, some of the most important data:

Overall lenght: 2170 mm
Difference between axles: 1460 mm (shorter than ZZR 1200)
Tank: 22 liters
Dry weight: 215 kg (218 kg with ABS)
Power: 140 kW/190 HP (147,1 kW/200 HP with RamAir)
Tires - front: 120/70 ZR 17
Tires - back: 190/50 ZR 17

If anybody has interests in some other data, just let me know... I'll try to find it in text.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pfew, you scared me: only 22 liters in the tank...
Gladly you showed the specs of the ZZR1400, which isn't quite the same as the GTR1400...
So now please find the real specs of the GTR1400 ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, Youre right, I looked at wrong data-sheet...

As regards power, it's spoken about 165 - 175 HP (means GTR is little bit "cutted" as regards agressivity), tank has no place to be greater than ZZR, and top-speed is limited on 270 km/h... that's data from biggest and most influent croatian bikers-revue "Moto Puls", and their sources.

I'm trying to get more data, but they're mostly "semi-official"... nobody from even Kawa-houses or dealerskip wants to confirm.
Latest voices tells me 170 Nm of torque... what's tipically touring, lot of torque and lowered HP...

Prices shall be about 10.600 GBP, or 16.130 euro, or 20.830 U$... or even higher, depending on State... Holland already speaks about price over 18.000 euro, and I'm afraid of same high price in Croatia...

As regards tank, already ZZR had maximum taken size of tank for that chassis, and tank goes far under seat, helping in lowered barycenter, so is litlle unclear where to take place for bigger tank... otherwise, it's needed, because such a bike MUST provide autonomy of minimum 250-300 km...

BTW, how much is the average consumption of the ZZR 1400? Whats your opinions and experiences?

·
Registered
266 Posts
BTW, how much is the average consumption of the ZZR 1400? Whats your opinions and experiences?

Whether it's by tuning or tank size I hope they do something. On my ZX-14 with 5.8 gallons, I'm LUCKY if I get 180 miles. 200 an absolute stretch if I am driving on the highway like a ninny.

IMHO all touring bikes should EASILY grab 200+ miles without making the rider break a sweat 'bout running out. My ZX does NOT inspire that kind of distance confidence. Hopefully, they take that into consideration for the Concours 14.

·
Registered
41 Posts
180 to 200 miles on a tank and you guys are complaining! The BEST I've ever gotten on my stock 12R was 130 miles and I was SWEATING :scared Even when I had my ZX11, the most mileage I've ever gotten was 180 and that was the best, the average was about 150. If the Concours14 get anywhere from 180 to 200, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Haha true motorman, but I HATE sweating it when on the road. When I'm on my Harley I know I can grab 200+ all day long no matter WHAT I do with the throttle.

Remember, I can get that kind of milage on my 14 IF I am riding like a grandma. And let me tell you, NOTHING about the 14 wants you to ride like said grandma. She wants you to ride her like Jenna Jameson!!! And when you do, your gas mileage SUCKS.

Anyway, we have to gripe about something right. LOL.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whether it's by tuning or tank size I hope they do something. On my ZX-14 with 5.8 gallons, I'm LUCKY if I get 180 miles. 200 an absolute stretch if I am driving on the highway like a ninny.

IMHO all touring bikes should EASILY grab 200+ miles without making the rider break a sweat 'bout running out. My ZX does NOT inspire that kind of distance confidence. Hopefully, they take that into consideration for the Concours 14.
180 miles = cca 290 km

5.8 gallons = cca 22 liters

Average cons = 7,2 liters per 100 km

========================================

That's pretty cool :clap :clap :clap for that machine... So much power and capacity must be feeded well, there's no power without good "meal".

But if is concumption of small, for such a powerfull and big machine (1352 ccm = 82,5 cubic inch), I'll be very glad to drive such a bike, because it gives a lot, very lot, for relative small amount of money...

I could keep small cons., because I'm not interested in wild drive, breaking speed records or things like burnouts ( :angry :angry ), but I'd enjoy in knowledge od power which I can use whatever I want or need. Thats the point of bikes like GTR 1400.

·
Registered
68 Posts
300km on one tank is the least I'd expect. I sold my 12 to buy a bike with a bigger range. If the tank cannot be larger than 22l then they'd better make it very fuel exonomic.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
When I'm on my Harley I know I can grab 200+ all day long no matter WHAT I do with the throttle.

She wants you to ride her like Jenna Jameson!!! And when you do, your gas mileage SUCKS.
...and thus is the difference between 85 hp and 190 hp. Thanks, but I'd suffer the gas mileage any day to ride Jenna over your Grandma! LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
300km on one tank is the least I'd expect. I sold my 12 to buy a bike with a bigger range. If the tank cannot be larger than 22l then they'd better make it very fuel exonomic.
I also thing that 300 km is minimum distance that one such a bike must endure with one tank. It is a little bit problem for any machine manufacturer to conciliate this two opposite requests - big power with small consumption and satisfiing capacity of tank - because it's old and well known think that there's no power for nothing, I mean without "good breakfast"... and average driving on such a bike, with 1400 ccm and 190 HP, can not drink under 8 liters (and that's allredy big archievement!! - and not to agressive driving!), what means that factory has to find a place for tank of minimum 25 liters, I mean that almost 30 liters sounds as one sufficient measure... but where to push iz inbetween so narrow chassis? :headscratch Already ZZR 1400 has tank maximal extended to under driver seat!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sledgehammer,

The Austrian Kawasaki site lists some tech data for the GTR, although there's still no indication of the bike's weight (that's one of the top KO-factors as far as I'm concerned).

I've compared some of these data with the FJR1300's, that's probably the closest contender for the GTR1400.

Engine size 1352cm³ (1298 cm³ for the FJR1300)

Power 114kW (155 HP) @ 8,800 RPM (143.5 @ 8,000 RPM for the FJR)

Power with Ram–Air N/A

Torque 136 Nm @ 6,200 RPM (134.4 Nm @ 7,000 RPM for the FJR)

Fork 43mm USD

Wheelbase 1520mm (that's 30mm shorter than a 2006/7 FJR1300)

Seat height 825mm

Tank 22 Liters (25 Liters in the FJR's tank)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmmm, less power, torque and fuel content than expected...
Not much better than the FJR...
It'd better not be much more expensive, or else the FJR will be a good alternative...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx, Teerex!!

Like Jeroen said, this data are under expected. It's unclear why Kawasaki so much lowered some specs, because some important details are much under ZZR 14, even they both share the "same" machine.

155 HP are much under 190; 136 Nm is much lower than 155... seems to me that they cutted this machine just for lower consumption...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Low-end torque more than mega-HP is the classic recipe for a sport-tourer. No big surprise here.

The fact is, you cannot do a lot better than an FJR without re-inventing this type of bike.

The GTR1400/Concours14 has still every chance to become top of its class. But I can't help but wonder how it can call itself a "Transcontinental Sport-Tourer" with a 22 liter/5.8 gal tank :rant

And IMHO the weight question remains the key. If it exceeds the FJR1300's weight (which has already registered an increase with the 2006/7 model) the GTR's performance will be virtually the same without the benefit of a 6-year model history producing a near-perfect platform.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the GTR but I'm not blind :nana

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Don't worry, I share Your opinions...

True is that bikes, with such a motorisation, are still very mobile, and still - we can say - "overmotorized"!

But in that case, people which are expecting more as regards "power-fetish", remains dissappointed... If one Gold Wing, with its 1832 ccm and 118 HP with 167 Nm, can represent one measure in puncto luxury tourers, and nobody says it's "undermotorized", than is clear that GTR 1400 with 38 HP more much more kilo's less really does it's job fine. But people expects positive shock, what is here missing...

I think that Kawasaki had to reconstruct serial ZZR, to bring some more centimeters in width, because nobody will take that for a sin in one touring-bike, even when it's sport-touring. They had to make a wider frame, which can take bigger tank and better legs-coverage. But it seems that construction of new frame is very expensive job, for which they think it'll not be worthy in profit...

How it really looks like I'll check on 17.-th next month, when I travel to Munchen on IMOT. There I'll sit on GTR, and than I'll know is it a valid player in my plans or not. My primary criteria is sitting position, than everythink else. If is sitting position OK for me, than it remains on my "shopping-list". If not, I'll go back to my R 1200 GS, not so impressive, but much more reliable bike for my needs, and more suited for local roads and shorter travels without highways...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Low-end torque more than mega-HP is the classic recipe for a sport-tourer. No big surprise here.

The fact is, you cannot do a lot better than an FJR without re-inventing this type of bike.

The GTR1400/Concours14 has still every chance to become top of its class. But I can't help but wonder how it can call itself a "Transcontinental Sport-Tourer" with a 22 liter/5.8 gal tank :rant

And IMHO the weight question remains the key. If it exceeds the FJR1300's weight (which has already registered an increase with the 2006/7 model) the GTR's performance will be virtually the same without the benefit of a 6-year model history producing a near-perfect platform.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the GTR but I'm not blind :nana
Hmm, Kawasaki speaks about the most powerful Sports tourer ever... That does not rime very well with 155HP. There are other Sport tourers out there like BMW 1200, Kawasaki ZZR 1200(discontinued), Honda CBR1100XX that have more or less the same or higher output. Also why introduce variable valve timing for only 155 HP from 1352cc; no need for that to get low-end torque when top-end rush has been cut like suggested.

I hope and believe the numbers you have picked up at the Australian site are false or maybe measured on the back wheel (appr 8% loss). My guess is 170 HP and 150 NM and that is what I want for my new bike!

Waiting for a true Sports tourer (hopefully GTR 1400)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Teerex51,

I was to quick reading. Let's hope Kawasaki in Austria haven't got the correct info. or I will look for another bike...

Waiting for a true Sport tourer (hopefully GTR 1400)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I feel your pain :banghead Traveling Man but let me ask you this...

Do we truly need > 155HP in a Sport-Tourer?

The whole S-T segment offers a range of bikes with nominal power between 143 and 155 HP

FJR1300: 143.5HP
K1200GT: 152 HP
CBR-XX: 152 HP
1400GTR: 155 HP

and max torque between 120 and 136 Nm.

IMHO this is the Sport-Touring ballpark and surely no coincidence that the performance data of the major players all fall in there.

My main concern is the bike's still-undisclosed weight. OK, I know, I'm repeating myself :evil but I find the nominal power of the GTR ample for its fast-tourer purposes.
Whether it's going to be agile enough to be a serious contender on the twisties lies mainly in its weight.

And I think it's no coincidence that this key factor has not been revealed yet a mere 3 months from the bike's announced appearance at dealerships worldwide.

The smart money says the good folks at KHI are right now burning the midnight oil trying to shave off a few extra pounds before production starts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Stef

I was thinking much the same myself. Having ridden both the K1200GT and the FJR 1300 I can't see that anyone would really need more power or torque for this class of bike. The weight is the all important factor and if they get this right I still reckon we might still have a class leader.

Dave

1 - 20 of 95 Posts