Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fist off i took notice to the fact that several places were the oil pan is bolted up is leaking oil very slow. i saw some runs down the side of the oil pan. the bike has 300 miles on it. is this normal?? i also has a leak on the upper part of the crankcase behind were the clutch cover is. very slow but you notices a drip more after every ride. is this normal for a bike to leak oil in the begining during breakin. I rubbed a bead of oil resistant silicone around it so it will stop. i hope it works.

my next question..., growing up i was always told never run your gas tank dry cause u suck up all the dirt in the tank. well what happens if u happen to be the last person to suk up all the gas that the gas station has?? the pump only sucked out 2 gallons of premion and then the gas station ran out of gas. is there anyway the gas station pumps could suck up dirt and fill my tank with shit if i had sucked them dry of gas???? i have no clu but i am very curious cause the bike is bran new.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oil leaks on a brand new bike sounds like bad news mate take it back to the dealership asap.
As for the petrol staion i have no idea. they should have filters on there pumps but who knows.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most definately there should not be any oil leaks on such a new bike!
Mine has now done over 7000km with no sign of any oil seepage or leaks. You should not have put the silicone on it but rather take it back to the dealer ASAP to fix it up.

Most garage tanks have, besides the filters in the system, a little "dead volume" in the tanks, therefore it SHOULD not suck up any dirt, but having said that, I experienced a problem like that about 20 years ago on my car, but hopefully today it should not occur anymore. I usually only stop at the newer filling stations where the equipment should be newer and to higher standards.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok after cleaning off the oil on the oil pan and riding the bike hard for 100 more miles there is no sign of the slightest leak. i think it was just ther from the facorty. i know sometimes they coat rubber gaskets with oil before install so maybe that was just excess that ran off from factory install. i hope. i will find out more in the next few hundred miles.
AS for my leak behind the clutch cover area. the silicone sealed it just fine. If i had the dealer fix it they would have to rip out the engine and tare it apart to get to that specific gasket. the silicone was more then enough to stop the leak. would u guys be satisfied with that?

also i opened up the bike today for the first time in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear it it pulles so hard its scary. the front end is so light i feel very unstable. I was kinda trying to look at the rpm needle when i was going full throttle. is that bright orange light a shift light?? mine goes off at like 9000 rpm. witch is way low. also im not sure if i saw this correctly but during full throttle does the rpm needle fly up to about 12000 rpm slow down and speed back up. alsmost like a slight drop in acceleration right before the top and then full acceleration again. my eyes migth have just been vibration lol but does that sound right? or am i seeing things. it sure as hell felt fast.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Most garage tanks have, besides the filters in the system, a little "dead volume" in the tanks, therefore it SHOULD not suck up any dirt
I concur with Dup ....... on very rare occasions water may reach the intake but most tanks are pumped out and cleaned before that :clap

·
Registered
515 Posts
where exactly is that leak you still have located? and as far as the front end goes, I'd recommend removing the ohlins and putting heavier weight fluid in it or, getting a different damper. The stock damper is nearly useless...

·
Registered
532 Posts
is that bright orange light a shift light?? mine goes off at like 9000 rpm. witch is way low. .
Yes, that orange light is a gear change indicator, and you can adjust it to a higher RPM, just check in you owners manual. They explain exactly how to!

Enjoy the bike and watch out for that power! Especially when you snap change!! That front come up pretty easy!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some of the residue,could be assembly lube.It was all over
& around mine when new.Check fasteners for proper inch pound torque.If that don't do it she'll have to be serviced.(Kawboy)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts