Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ZX9, I bought second hand. It is a '97 B model.
I've always bought new bikes before, and am there fore wondering :

- Knowing that I bought it with 24 K miles, but in very good state i.e. just had an inspection and all was well (valves, carb synchro...), what is the longevity of such a bike, before starting to experience maybe major fixing ?
- I do find that the gearbox is a bit hard to pass in first when cold (I assume it is normal), and also, even though I am an experienced rider, I do sometimes miss a gear, mostly when between third to second.
- I also have some rambling coming from the front of the fairing, but only at low motion, I can't find out where it seems to be coming from ?
- I didn't get an owner's manual with it, and I wonder how to regulate the gas central shock-absorber. It is a small gas tank situated on the right back part of the bike, just above the rear wheel. Don't know if by turning to the right it softens the absorber, or to the left ?

If by the way somebody had a useless owner's manual, please let me know, maybe by PM ?

Thank you in advance for your answers,
nomeg1

·
Registered
328 Posts
As far as how long before something major breaks. Is impossible for someone to predict you make drive 5 miles or 50,000. That's just part of owning anything mechanical. The rambling your hearing could be a loose fairing bracket. You tend to have more vibration in lower rpms.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as how long before something major breaks. Is impossible for someone to predict you make drive 5 miles or 50,000. That's just part of owning anything mechanical. The rambling your hearing could be a loose fairing bracket. You tend to have more vibration in lower rpms.
Yes, I read you Zx6jay, but what is the average lifetime of a ZX9 usually, this understanding that the bike is well maintained. I was not talking about a major mechanical failure, which of course can happen as you take it out from the Dealer (I know a case).
What about this missing sometimes a gear, I read somewhere that it was one of the problem from the "B series", which had been fixed with the following ones. Anybody knows about this issue and the nitrogen
gas thingy

About the fairing bracket, I've checked it all, can't find a loose one :headscratch
Thanks though

·
Registered
328 Posts
If the bike is taken care of properly you can drive it forever. The issue with that is you find some squid who never changes the oil, valve adjustment,ect. As far as missing a gear you may want to check the shifter fork.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
+1

·
Registered
249 Posts
did you change the oil yet? that makes them shift really shitty when they have old dirty oil in them

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you change the oil yet? that makes them shift really shitty when they have old dirty oil in them
Hi Brandan !
No, haven't, it's an idea tough !
I checked the gear selector, and it does move a bit on it's fit, it's not completely tied, but some say it's normal ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
noise

could be a loose radiator mounting bolt.Mine had a loose one that drove me crazy.Did it at 1500-2000 rpm.tightened it up and no more noise.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
The B series zx9r is known to blow a water pump seal around 25 to 30k.
Head gaskets have been known to go around the same time.
Spinning #3 rod bearing is also pretty common.
The shift problems you notice are probably related to your shift fork. Most of the B zx9r's lose 2nd gear completely, don't be surprised if you encounter this sometime down the road. It's all in how you treat the bike and maintain it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The B series zx9r is known to blow a water pump seal around 25 to 30k.
Head gaskets have been known to go around the same time.
Spinning #3 rod bearing is also pretty common.
The shift problems you notice are probably related to your shift fork. Most of the B zx9r's lose 2nd gear completely, don't be surprised if you encounter this sometime down the road. It's all in how you treat the bike and maintain it.
Thanks jowek !
Head gaskets have been done.
Rod bearing is more annoying !
About the 2nd gear, true, it usually happens downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but it might also be that I am riding it (v. warm weather here in Germany 100°) with snickers, never happens when with boots, but you are right, I read somewhere that 2nd gear was a weak point on the "B" series.
'll have to keep an eye on all this, thanks for the feedback though.

I have another issue, I wanted to take off the original BILLET BAR ENDS, to treat them and paint, but the damn things are irremovable ! Even tried with a "Makita" prof. percussion driller :banghead, the things are just not rotating ! Any info ? :headscratch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts