Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something I should know specifically about removing the oil filter for my '99 zx9r? It is stuck awful tight and after trying different leverage techniques, I just can't figure out how to get it off to change it. I thought I'd use one of those band things you can use for car oil filters but theres not enough room between the oil filter and the headers to manuever the band in there to get it on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had the same problem with my first oil change......your going to through that oil filter away, right? Try using a channel-lock wrench!!! One of thoughs adjustable wrench's and grip that son-of-an oil filter and twist it's brain's out!!!!

On the other had if you filter is a cartrage type.....where all you do is replace the inside filter and the outside cap stay's on....than put on some laytex (rubber) glove's on like for painting and working on your car, and try to twist it with both hands......

Other than that i have no idea....try that and see if it help.....Post up with the progress!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The channel lock wrench is what we ended up using. Beat the hell out of it but it worked. I was real nervous when erick pulled out the hammer and started beating on it before we used the wrench. If he had hit my titanium pipes, I was gonna lose my mind.

I did alot of watching instead of doing, but I wanted to know how to do it and now I know I can do it myself and know exactly what to do.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Another way is to spear through it with a large screwdriver, then turn, messy but it works

·
Registered
10 Posts
your 4.95 filter vs. OEM filter... Kawasaki designed to have the oil bypass as well as the pressusre relief "pop off" at just the right psi... fram could give a sh** less about what psi this happens... just an observation get what you pay for.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Big write up on after market filters and fram did the worst,use a factory filter if you like your bike...dab a little oil on the new filter seal before you put it on to and dont over tighten it....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thats What I Use In My Bigbire Bike Zx998 ,but I Have A Friend With A Shop? Its Nice To Get Thing At Cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually used a Delco filter. I have an account at the local parts store that sells Delco here. I just use the Fram part # for cross reference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts