Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Nice forum and from what I've seen so far not much "flaming." That's refreshing.
Here's the problem and questions. A co-worker owns this bike and let it sit too long. The usual problem developed, wouldn't idle without choke, backfiring, etc. Owner took the blke to a local shop who supposedly rebuilt the carbs. Bike runs fine for several days. Bike sits for one week and the problem comes back. The owner doesn't trust the shop and asked me to look at the carbs because he knows that I work on bikes. The bike is stock, has 7,000 miles, supposedly the shop also replaced the fuel, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, and adjusted the valves (to the tune of $650).
Any thoughts on why the problem would return so quickly?
If it's just a case of a bad rebuild on the carbs, what do you recommend for mods to the carbs for a stock bike? My past experience with other bikes is leave the mains alone, adjust idle screws to 2 1/2 to 3 turns, and shim the needles. Is this pretty much the case for this bike? Thanks for any help. Robert

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...If it's just a case of a bad rebuild on the carbs, what do you recommend for mods to the carbs for a stock bike? My past experience with other bikes is leave the mains alone, adjust idle screws to 2 1/2 to 3 turns, and shim the needles. Is this pretty much the case for this bike?...
Yes, if all is OK inside, what you intend to do is spot on, particularly for an otherwise stock ZX-11.
Stock MJ, stock PJ, needles at about 2½~2¾ turns (to begin with) and shimming needles 1mm (0.020") (to begin with). You could shim a tad higher (maximum 2mm (0.040")) depending of the thickness of the washers you will find. M3 (1/8") flat washers works perfectly and are about 0.025" thick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts