Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

"97 ZX-9r mixture screws perfect adjust

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zx9chem 
#1 ·
Hello Riders,

I have a "97 ZX-9r i cleaned the carbs at a new mechanic i didn't know actually that there are lots of parts inside the carbs. :( .. after cleaning every part on a row he assembled the carbs. again and installed it on the bike.

When i was giving it a test run the bike is not working well there is something wrong on high RPM when i reach 6 rpm the bike is not running smoothly as it should be.

He kept on telling me change fuel pump and i changed it, and then the spark plugs so i changed them, then the spark plugs wires and i did changed them.

Now i don't know how to perfectly adjust the mixture screws and the fuel bowl to get the bike working perfectly again :(

does anyone know the perfect screws turns and the float bowls adjustment ?

Thanks in advance

Stay safe riders ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
High RPM is primarily main jets, sounds like your mechanic is an idiot.

And we need to know, is this WOT, half throttle, 1/4 throttle? You can't just say "around 6k rpm" and expect anyone to have a good idea.

#3 ·
Hello Masta Squidge,

Thanks for your quick reply.
Unfortunately i discovered that he is an idiot after what he did to my bike.

Can you please explain more about WOT and half throttle, 1/4 throttle the things you said ?

I'm sorry but i didn't understand to reply back to you with accurate numbers :)

#4 ·
Sounds like the carburetor equalization tube was not reconnected. That would account for the bike not being able to pull past 6K RPM.

And B model float height is 13mm +/- 2mm
Pilot Air Screw is 1 1/2 turns +/- 1/4 turn

#5 ·
An Masta's correct. Do yourself a favor and try another mechanic. Or better still, take some time to read some of the interesting threads on here. There are a ton of them relevant to your situation. You're bound to learn enough to teach your mechanic a thing of two.

#7 ·
These carbs are way different than anything I'm used to. I had an old dual-sport, some dirtbikes and an 85 honda interceptor. I've done alot with carbs on cars too, but these carbs are like spaceships to me. That being said, they're operating on the same basic principles as other carbs, there's just alot more to get out of adjustment or stop working. Luckily mine seem to be doing just fine, so I'm not going to take em apart unless I have to. I don't think theres any magic settings for these bikes, each one will be pretty individual. I have seen some pretty good guidelines on here as to where to start, so if nobody chimes in you can probably bring it up with a search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.