Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem getting my bike to start after I put it back together. I had to lift the valve cover to fix an oil leak and even though all the vacuum hoses and fuel lines seem to be in the right places, I have gas spitting out of the exhaust and coming out of the vacuum line opening, where a hose would be for California models (that go to some canister I don't have). There is also gas spilling from the bottom of the engine, but I can't tell from where exactly, but it's towards the rear of the engine. There is also gas coming from the vacuum line that sits on top of my airbox and exits just above the carbs. :headscratch

I really need to get my bike back on the road this weekend, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm happy to hear them.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I finally got my bike started and it's runs for a few minutes but then dies and won't start up again - until - I drain the carbs. Then it starts up again. I double checked the fuel lines and they are correct. One time I had it running it kept flaming and popping through the exhaust. But that only happened during one instance the engine was running. It sounds fine when it get's up and running, it just won't stay running. There's plenty of gas in the tank and I see gas going through the fuel filter.

Any ideas? Please, I really don't want to take this thing to shop and spend more money - I've already spent almost a grand just getting it back to looking new after getting damaged while it was stored.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine says that my floats are sticking. is there anyway to get to the floats without taking the carbs off? I can't get to the screws that hold the carbs on, so it would be impossible (so it seems) for me to get the carbs off without tearing the whole engine apart and I'm not about to do that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could someone PLEASE help me out here? I am just going out of my mind trying to figure this crap out. :banghead

For one, how in the heck do you get the carbs off without tearing the engine down? The manual says to loosen up the clamp screws, but those things are under the diaphragm covers and above the valve cover, there's no way to get a screwdriver up in there! Ugh! I was able to get two of the float covers off, but the floats were very loose and not dirty at all, so I'm guessing it's not the floats at all - but gas is still accumulating in the bowls and I have ti drain them to get the engine to even want to start. It actually got to the point of wanting to start but it just won't turn over. I try using the choke, but if I give it too much choke it won't start, a few times I was able to get it started by turning the throttle but usually when i do this gas just spills out of the vacuum valve switch (the opening that isn't used on my F model because it's not CA emissions) and the vacuum valve hose that goes to the top of the airbox.

I sprayed some seafoam into the jet needle opening to clean out the float and float bowl. I just don't know what else to do and I've got to get my bike running like last week!

And now there doesn't seem to be any gas getting through the fuel filter, but the fuel pump is brand new, so i know it's not that and the fuel lines are correct. I'm just at such a loss and don't want to spend $400 having my carbs rebuilt. If i could just get the damn things off myself I'd be happy, but I don't see how that's possible. If anyone knows a trick to getting that done - I'd be happy to hear it! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts