1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy is selling a 95 zx9r

new head gasket new radiator and thermostat
Is it needs some new fairings have the old ones bit rough

He says it ran good but it has sat up since the fall.

I can get it for 600 does this sound like an ok deal?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't think I'd go that much on it. Sure, someone put some new parts on it that may, or may not, have fixed the original problem. You could spend quite a bit of money to get it running & still have an overheating problem. Its a gamble buying a non-running bike. You might win or lose. Its your money, make an offer. Something less than $500.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my thought was that if i couldnt get it going for very affordable means then i could part it out and get my money back or at least most of it.

he says it was running last fall and he rode it after the headgasket replacement.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For 600 you cant go wrong, you could part it out and make money fairly quick being you only got 600 in it. I paid 1200 for mine and the plastics were crap, missing bolts, needed tires, brakes, fresh fluids, slipping clutch, and tlc over all. I bought as a project though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Don't think I'd go that much on it. Sure, someone put some new parts on it that may, or may not, have fixed the original problem. You could spend quite a bit of money to get it running & still have an overheating problem. Its a gamble buying a non-running bike. You might win or lose. Its your money, make an offer. Something less than $500.
I thought the same thing. Seems odd to replace head gasket, stat, and radiator. Maybe trying to find out why it's overheating. Could be something more serious.
I'm not sure what a good running bike like that would be worth but he'll have to figure on putting some money into this one and not go over what it's worth.
Sometimes it's just better to pay the money for a good looking and running bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If there is no evidence of any frame damage I would drop $600 for that bike. There is plenty there to make it work one way or the other. You can get body work from Air Tech that is better built and easier to fix than the OEM body work or pick up used body work on eBay for it. I love my '96, will probably never get rid of it. I am stock piling parts for the future in case something goes out, but so far only minor things like the fuel pump. And a couple of aftermarket coils (Dyna - junk).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Running bikes rarely sell for less than $1000 in my neck of the woods, even 82 Suzuki GS500's. I bought my 97 zx9r with 35k on it for $1500 in fair condition. I've got less than $2000 into it now and I got an offer of $2500 for it last summer. If you can clean it up and get it running good for less than $1000 I'd say it'd be a good deal. If it was running last fall it should start up now, at least with a good battery and fresh gas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I paid $2500 for my 95 zx9r. All original. Never down 22,500 miles. I know it's well over blue book but is my favorite bike as its larger and I love the green, white and violet. The dealer told me that its worth more like $4000 as even Kelly blue book mint isn't that clean. I don't know for sure. I do know that I love riding it and I get lot of compliments. It's all in what a person likes. I've done some service and fixed a couple of things and now I think it is all good. I'll probably adjust the valves this winter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts