Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my ZX9 recently started producing a high pitched noise under these conditions:
RPMS over 2000
That's it. It doesn't matter if it's in gear, warm, cold, etc.

Of course it gets higher the higher the RPMS are. The clutch is two years old. I don't think it's the clutch. It just doesn't seem like a clutch noise.

My suspicions, and I'm hoping someone can give credence to this, is that it's the fan bearing. But is this common? It is the original and it's got over 15000K miles.

I have access to the bike now with the plastic off the bike but didn't want to go taking out the radiator to get to the fan that I'm not even sure is the problem.

The noise: If I had to describe it I'd say it's not a noise I want to ride with. It's unnoticeable at RPMs under 2k but gets louder and higher the higher the RPMs are.

I guess I'm looking for the following:
What should I check for regarding the fan bearing before I remove the radiator if anything?
What else should I be checking for this noise? Other bearings that whine while stationary?

Any help would be great. In the meantime, I will continue investigation and hoping to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's not the fan.

Could be the motor or something else. Does the noise change in pitch or get louder when you rev the motor? Or does it only get louder with speed? If you go say 40 mph and you pull the clutch in and let the motor idle (still going 40 mph) does the noise go away, or is it still there? If it's still there it's not the motor. Which is a good thing...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe the clutch drive on the alternator.

·
Registered
80 Posts
take your fairings off and have someone hold the throttle should be pretty easy to tell if its you fan or not just buy moving your head around to pinpoint where the noise is coming from

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
The fan bearing?
no.
The fan only comes on when the bike gets hot; its not always on so it doesn't rotate on its own.
Do what Rick said and report back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not the fan.

Could be the motor or something else. Does the noise change in pitch or get louder when you rev the motor? Or does it only get louder with speed? If you go say 40 mph and you pull the clutch in and let the motor idle (still going 40 mph) does the noise go away, or is it still there? If it's still there it's not the motor. Which is a good thing...
The noise is strickly motor induced. In other words, I've not even gone for a ride since I heard the noise. It's either gone or quiet enough to not be noticable over the exhaust at Idle but anything above 2k RPMs and it because noticable. The higher the RPMs the higher the pitch. It's actually, almost unbearable to listen to but that's just me knowing something is wrong!

So, it's sounding like it must be the motor. The engine def wasn't warm enough to kick the fan on.

Should I make a video of the noise? Can I upload that here? Or send a link to a youtube video. Anyone think they may be able to pinpoint something if they heard it?

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I didn't get any emails saying I had any. I'll have to check my settings. I was beginning to wonder if this forum was active.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm now in your same situation. What conclusions? With me the noise is from the engine bottom. Renovating it right now. Noise a bit difficult to diagnose because there is to know whether originated from Crankshaft or from the camshaft in the engine head.vrey similar noise.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,599 Posts
If its strictly engine rpm dependent, you might as well start splitting the engine open and start inspecting parts. There's a lot of bearings that could be the culprit or another part of the engine that spins.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
The noise is strickly motor induced. In other words, I've not even gone for a ride since I heard the noise.anything above 2k RPMs and it because noticable. The higher the RPMs the higher the pitch. It's actually, almost unbearable to listen to but that's just me knowing something is wrong!

So, it's sounding like it must be the motor. The engine def wasn't warm enough to kick the fan on.
something is spinning and not getting oil..... and this is the motor for sure.... it sounds all bad:tard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts