Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im goin to go check out a 95 ninja zx750 tomorrow and guy says i just need a battery . he tells me he bought it off a friend and only had it for 3-4 months , went away for a few weeks and came back . went to start the bike and the battery was dead . also said he took it to a machanic and machanic stated that new battery was needed . he's selling for 1800 . what other possable issues may there be ? r/r ? ground ? plain o' battery and hes just to lazy to get one ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
ok so im goin to go check out a 95 ninja zx750 tomorrow and guy says i just need a battery . he tells me he bought it off a friend and only had it for 3-4 months , went away for a few weeks and came back . went to start the bike and the battery was dead . also said he took it to a machanic and machanic stated that new battery was needed . he's selling for 1800 . what other possable issues may there be ? r/r ? ground ? plain o' battery and hes just to lazy to get one ?
Battery,grey wire,ignition i would recommend a ballistic evo 2 battery 8 or 12 cell

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would say something else is the issue, why would someone supposedly take a non-running bike to a mechanic, have them say it needs a battery and they not buy one?

You would have to be the laziest and dumbest person not to buy a $50 battery to help sell a bike.

Tell him you'll give $800 non-running.

Josh

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what im sayin .. he told me he painted the bike and polished the frame and doesnt wanna deal with any thing machanicaly cuz es not the type to spend money to fix .. but in my head im like well u painted and polished the frame .. whats another $100 max on a battery ??? but i will see when i get there .. i have a 87 cbr1000 hurricane and gonna grab the battery off there and bring some jumper cables with some tools . and thanx for the quick responce i apprecciate it :evil

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You can jump the bike off a car battery too FYI.

I still think the dude is trying to cover something up with the "dead battery" excuse.

Josh

·
6,873 Posts
It is pretty much impossible to jump a bike with another bike battery and cables. The soak of a dead battery will too be much to overcome with a good bike battery. Either put the new battery in and try it or bring a car battery to jump from as the amperage will help.

Fact is your are working with a older ZX7. I swear Kawasaki hired the Lucas guys away from MG to design the electrical systems on these bikes. Most likely there is an electrical problem, but if you have the guts to figure it out later you should be able to get it for a good price. Risky, but I have found it to be worth it. This is exactly how I got many of my ZX7s for a song.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bring a battery & a multimeter if you can, if you get it running checl the charging rate, charging faults can be very expensive!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I went to go see the bike .. its in great shape better than what I thought . Question .. are you guys shock adjustable ? .. hooked it up to the car battery ( didn't bring the other bike battery ) sounded like it wanted to start and came to fined out .. no gas lol .. needs a new chain sprocket looks good tho . Bin sittin there for a while he didn't have money to register the bike so he just turned it on every few days . Windshield has slight chip in the coner . One of the foot levers seemed loose he said he just has to tighten it . We had no way to get gas "/ . Would have love to here her start .. told him to hold it for a week till I make a decision . 45,000 on the clock . Cables look good along with tires , lights and breaks . Forks suspension looks great .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He also said that he bought it for 2800 and dude he bought it off of said just needs a battery . He bought battery and doesn't wanna spend money on a new one .. tho the one he had looked used .. not TOO new . Also looked like he had a hard time getting a good conecction on the battery terminal .. from the looks of it and the way he acted it seems he not to machanicaly sound and seems like a EASY fix

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I will add one thing... the 7 is a juice hungry whore... it needs lots of CCA to get going in the morning...

a NEW battery is needed... ive replaced my battery 3 times in this thing in 3 years...

they just dont last.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I guess it depends on the condition of it outside of if it runs or not. If it runs good with no issues and the plastics are good to go, then I'd say yeah. I got mine with the same issue(battery just needed a charge and is still going strong, also needed the grey wire fix) with decent plastics for $1300 with just over 21k on the clock. I'm pretty sure location has a good bit to do with it as well. I'd say offer $1500 and try to barter a bit. People who want to sell something usually will adjust their price a bit if they see $1500 cash or you tell them you can bring it to them right away.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh, and that's because I brought $1300 cash, original price was $1600. And mine came with a bunch of spare plastics, brand new kill switch, brand new throttle cables, extra stock tail light, extra smoked wind screen, so I think I got a good deal for a bike that only needed a bit of time to get on the road.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok nice sounds far .. also what is this "grey wire fix" u speak of ? thankx for the quick responce .. u guys are fast

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also just came to mined .. could it be a fuel pump issue? i asked if they came with fuel pump he said no .. mybe his didnt and has gravety feed ? for got to check that out while i was the "/

·
Registered
548 Posts
Do a quick online search for it. The grey wire is a wire that goes from the key switch to the CDI. It goes from 12v in the off position to 6v in the on position. That 6v difference is because of a resistor in the key switch. It's meant to be an anti theft device to the bike can't be hot wired. Sometimes, that solder joint get's hot and comes loose so it needs to be resoldered. Very easy fix when someone thinks their bike is toast and won't start so you get a good deal on the price, IF that's the issue. I took a shot in the dark on it and got lucky, you might be able to as well.

I also tossed around the idea of it being a fuel pump issue but that wasn't it at all. Put the bike in first gear and don't pull the clutch in, try to start it. You should hear the fuel pump buzz, that's the fuel pump priming. Somebody else here might have a better idea on how to test it without taking some things apart to get it off of the bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so i did a quick search on it and wow... if this is whats wrong with it then im freakin pumped !! whats the percentage of this grey wire issue being the issue to this bike ?? what other problem could it be besides the grey wire or just needing a strong battery like the evo8 you guys taked about?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Go back over there and take a car battery with you or use jumper cables. Use a DMM and back probe the grey wire on the CDI. If it reads 12v, it's a good chance that that's the issue since it should read 6v. If that's the case, don't get overly excited, tell him it's gonna cost you $200 bucks to fix it and offer him the money minus that $200 at the least plus minus the cost of a new battery. Bam, $300 off his asking price.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hell, if he's not mechanically inclined, when you do the fuel pump prime I'm sure he's gonna ask what that clicking sound is. Tell him that's the fuel pump trying to work but sounds like it's seized up. Find out what it costs to repair and tell him that's what it's gonna cost to fix it so try to get that taken off the cost of the bike as well. You'll be down to around $1400 or so and if he goes for it then you'll have a bike that's road ready after a little work to get the key switch to work.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
exactly what i was thinking plus if it wont run i have to tow it :) so $300 plus the tow .. hopefully he budges .. he is trying to stay firm on the 1800 but everyone has a price they let things go for

1 - 20 of 32 Posts