Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in december 2011 i picked up my ninja for $1200 to have as a project to learn more about working on bikes myself. It fairly late to post this thread being ive already done a lot but better late than never. Im not making this bike perfect, but im making it much nicer than it was as im pretty sure they stunted it. On with the pictures and build.
This is the night i brought it home, it was raining and had BOLD tires

And heres when i started the tear down

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then i started with the brakes as they barely worked, i replaced all the pads, cleaned the calipers out, bleed the brake/clutch lines, and got the plastics off for paint.
Heres the list of new parts i ordered:
-Gas Tank $95
-Tires $105(thanks turbo)
-Brakes Pads $30
-Clutch/Brake levers $25
-Mirrors Free
-Rear brake lever $30
-Left rearset $35
-Fork Seals and Dust Seals $25
-Fresh fluids everywhere
prolly missing more

Thanks to the members who helped me with my forks

in the mean time it was nice in ohio around february so i rode to work and got special parking since i worked at a school and didnt want kids messing with it

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the plastics started getting painted and looked pretty good for free

Strange that i now noticed i never got a pic of the tail.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
During the time the plastics were off i used an industrial cleaner to clean the frame and add a new keyswitch hoping it would cure my current electrical problem. I put the plastics on to get a few pics of the painted plastics.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently im:
-Waiting for my bolt kit to come in, because the bikes missing several bolts for the plastics(side fairings arnt really bolted on)

In the short future i would like to:
-Paint the front cowl/tank mount thing
-FIX THE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM SO IT WILL START
-New grips and bar ends

In during winter winter or sooner if i get the money sooner:
-clutch slips under heavy load but is still ridable for now so ill be trying my hands at clutch work for the first time
-get another exhaust, the yoshi sounds kinda crappy IMO and has a scrap from being laid down.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Very nice! Great job!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Replacing your clutch plates is very very easy.

Paint looks great. I think those stickers are killing it for ya though. Id look on ebay for die cut monster decals.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Lookin' good! I'm jealous your ignition switch is actually readable!

Josh

·
Registered
451 Posts
what a transformation, good job with the quick work. u should powdercoat the brackets instead of paint them since its much more durable. also is that a brand new ignition lock or a used off ebay ??

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea i prolly should powder coat them instead, and the ignition switch is brand new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Spdracr- how much was what? the key switch was $60 off ebay, works great.
Ghost- thanks but i honestly didnt pay a penny for the paint job, my work did it 100% free. Fyi i work at a school that has a auto body and collision class.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i got all the plastics in with new bolts, unfortunatly still.have.to hold the sides on with zipties in the main bolt by my leg and another in the front for extra security since there is a few tabs on the fairings broken from being laid down. Beats buying new fairings though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts