Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, realized this is a more appropriate thread location. i have a 1995 zx7 , the bike recently had its carb's cleaned . i started it about 8-10 times afterwards but towards the 8th,9th, and 10th time it would just turn over and over without getting spark to any of the cylinders. and now finally it doesnt want to start at all. me and a buddy tested all the connections at the junction box and they seem straight. he tested the grey wire and it tested at 7v on standby, does anyone know what the acceptable voltage range is for the wire at standby and or running?

and does anyone know what the underseat cdi should be measuring at or the starter relay for that matter?

also does anyone know what other possible troubleshooting start points because i'm straight baffled lol it was just running the other day

edit** tested gray wire , it went from 6v at standby to 12-13 when cranking

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm pretty sure that grey wire should be 6v when cranking, otherwise it'll turn over and but not start. I had that issue when I bought my bike. Turned out to be the key switch. Opened it up, resoldered the grey wire(I guess these bikes are known for that wire desoldering itself from heat)and she fired right on up. I still ended up replacing the key switch even though the other one worked and it's still running great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciated the input ive been having trouble turning the key easily and getting it to lock and unlock. my mechanic friend thought thats what it was and my guts tellin me the same , i'm gonna order one either way just because its not in tip top. my next question is . do i really have to take off the the whole triple tree just to replace it?

and can anyone else also confirm that it is indeed supposed to be at 6v while turning over?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Behind the key switch is two screws holding it in place, alan head screws I believe. Unbolt those two and it should come free. For the time being, you can put a little slit in the "security" screws to open it up with a dremel and then use a flat head to unscrew them. Open the switch up and resolder the one wire. This will also confirm that that's what it is.

I'm 99% sure that it's supposed to be 6v when cranking. I guess the way it works is that's the security so no one can hot wire your bike. If the CDI doesn't see the 6v, it doesn't turn the bike over. Basically, there's a resistor inline on that grey wire inside the key switch. That resistor is between the key switch and the CDI. You turn the key to on, it drops the voltage of that wire to 6v, you hit start and it tell the CDI that everything is good and ok to start. Also, if you're going to open it, make sure you pay close attention to how things go back together. You might be able to fix your issue with the key not turning all the way also if you open up the key cylinder side.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yea its 6v and like the other guy said to bolts to remove the keyswitch. You need the gas tank and air box off in order to disconnect it where it goes inside the frame.
You might be able to pull the connector out of the frame but i already had that stuff off when i did mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok so time for the update... i replaced the whole iginition switch with a brand new one . now were getting 6v at the grey and still no spark. she just turns over and over . the junction box looks like its in really good condition. i had to peair one connection in the harness due to some liquid eroding a connection that was coming from the alternator. but still no spark.

so my questions are.

does anybody know what my *alternator should be reading
and does anybody know the voltages are needed to test the CDI
and any relays coming to mind that could give the same symptoms?
and does anybody have a service manual for a 95 zx7 that they wouldnt mind separating with
I'm baffled at this point i mean it was even being turned over just still no spark

Oh and i'm also getting gas to the cylinders as far as i know.
if my fuel pump relay went out would the cdi cut voltage to the plugs?

p.s bike has 12,500 miles if that helps anyone get an idea for how much its gotten ridden during its life

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts