Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY water pump is slowly leaking from what i believe is the weep hole on the bottom, usually it'll just drip onto the exhaust and maybe leave a drop on the ground overnight, bike doesnt overheat yet either, Anyone know if getting a kit with all new seals and o rings would fix this? Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, Ill have to dig into it this weekend, might just grab a new pump. Any clue if i can lean the bike to the right on something and avoid changing out the oil? Still have plenty of life in my oil and dont want to change it just yet, haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help, i went ahead and replaced it, but have a question for other zx11/gpz 1100 owners, My bike stays ice colds while running, even at high rpm/speed, usually the needle will stay right on the low line, but if im sitting in traffic for more then 2-3 minutes, the needle climbs up to almost the H level, Is this normal for these engines? The fan works, new pump, and i only ever use Engine ice coolant, ive bled the system as per the workshop manual says, just curious why i heat up so quick, suggestions??

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help, i went ahead and replaced it, but have a question for other zx11/gpz 1100 owners, My bike stays ice colds while running, even at high rpm/speed, usually the needle will stay right on the low line, but if im sitting in traffic for more then 2-3 minutes, the needle climbs up to almost the H level, Is this normal for these engines? The fan works, new pump, and i only ever use Engine ice coolant, ive bled the system as per the workshop manual says, just curious why i heat up so quick, suggestions??
Ice cold as defined by the gauge ? That's normal it relies on airflow for cooling . The fan is there for the stuck in traffic mode. Ride and enjoy . You really want to enjoy . I just did a ZX11 carb transplant using Bear racing ZRX to ZX11 pod adapters . Bike is unreal from 4k up . I have 1109 kit and ZX11 cams and this made a huge improvement .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, it'll stay pretty low on the temp gauge 90% of the time. I love it though, already did 1100 miles in the 3-4 weeks ive had it back to running, and its a monster, Having the GPz model makes me want to feel how that top end would compare on a zx-11, i know the zx11 model engines are tuned for high end power. Might need to do fork seals soon though

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yea, it'll stay pretty low on the temp gauge 90% of the time. I love it though, already did 1100 miles in the 3-4 weeks ive had it back to running, and its a monster, Having the GPz model makes me want to feel how that top end would compare on a zx-11, i know the zx11 model engines are tuned for high end power. Might need to do fork seals soon though
First bike I bought brand new was a 1984 GPz 1100... will always have a soft spot for 'GPz"... loved that bike... something about having something brand new, that no one else's ass been parked all over it... haha.

I know my 84 is different than your 95, but there is NO comparison of my 97 ZX11 to my old GPz as far as power or speed... different universe's... I have still yet to fully open this ZX11 up... in my defense, had bad front tire till yesterday.. and did run it up harder yesterday than since I got it last thanksgiving... only have 950 miles of ass time on it so far.. had to do quite a bit of maintenance and small repairs to it, had been sitting over a year... but this thing is a beast and it just seems to want more and more the harder you twist the smile maker...

good luck bruda..

Johnny

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
When a coolant pump begins to leak, it's circling the drain and should be replaced. Don't screw around trying to rebuild one, just get a new one.

·
Registered
930 Posts
ZX11 cams swap in . Takes a little bottom end away but the hit from 5k up is nice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a couple pumps laying around if you need a pump.
I am in need of a water pump for a 96 ZX11 D, any chance you have a good one around still, buying one new is dear that's for sure.... I am gambling thats my issue as have a terrible squelching/squealing that varies while warming up on choke and even following on idle but dissipates as throttle is applied

·
Registered
135 Posts
i bought a new oem water pump in Canada for $210, which is same as USA pricing but in cnd funds so decided not to go used route and just do it right

1 - 14 of 14 Posts