Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says i have a honda crx with the carbs from a 95 ninja 750. I done the cfm calculations and there close. It runs as long as the choke is pulled but isnt getting enough gas to idle when its off. So basically what im in need of is some detailed info on these carbs. I hate asking questions but am not having any luck findin info needed. I know im gonna have to re jet or drill the jets.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
You realize these carbs were "engineered" to run with a pressurized RAM airbox right? You should be searching ZXF for something along the lines of street fighter carb setup. And yes, carbs jetted for a 750cc engine with a pressurized airbox would have to be tuned for whatever displacement the CRX is at.

Good luck and let us know if you succeed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forgot to mention

Thanks for the quick reply. The crx is a 1.6 liter. It seems like all i need to do is get more fuel to it when idiling so it will stay running then start going bigger on the jets untill the plugs read a good color. Will it also effect the carbs seeing as i have them mounted almost straight up and down. I can take a pic if needed.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Wow this is an interesting idea. What possessed you to do this? The carbs are meant to run at an angle so you might have to "fix" that problem . You should do this before trying to jet it .

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with the position being an issue. If the carbs aren't in the same position as they were on the bike, you wiill have float problems, either no fuel or flooding. If you can work through the logistics of fuel delivery through some creative plumbing, the carbs you are using were made for an engine with less than half of the displacement of your CRX. Seems like it may be undersized, even with jetting. If you can get carbs from a 1000 or larger, you might have less trouble matching air/fuel mix. Either way, if you get this thing running, it should be a screamer! Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to a cfm calculator online the 750 that revs to 12.5k uses around 20 cfm less than a 1.6 spinning at 6k rpms. Close enough for me right now. As for the position of the carbs, ill have to cut some 45 degree elbows and get the float bowl mounting surface parallel with the ground,sound good? Well see how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And yes i know thw welds look like crap but i ran out of gas for the welder n had to ise flux core wire wich sucks

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
As I recall from listening to honda forum warriors, you need carbs with accelerator pumps to really make this work properly.

As for the idle, pilot jets should be the first attempt if you ask me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Accelerator pump u say? How does the bike rev without stumbling seeing as they dont have em? If someone could answer this it would be great. I always wondered how the yz250 i had revved without em. Ive been workin on cars forever and without the accel pump they stumble then rev but as for the bikes ....... idk

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Accelerator pump u say? How does the bike rev without stumbling seeing as they dont have em? If someone could answer this it would be great. I always wondered how the yz250 i had revved without em. Ive been workin on cars forever and without the accel pump they stumble then rev but as for the bikes ....... idk
The slides handle it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
carb info

Sounds like you are too lean in the pilot system.......Turn air screws out to 3.5 to 4 rounds from seated position......you might have to drill and remove the concealment plugs covering the screws.....let me know if you need further assistance

·
18,914 Posts
The pilot screws are the ones at the front of the float bowl closest to the intake.

·
18,914 Posts
Good luck, this is one hell of a project with no real precedents to go by . I'm sure you will need quite a few hours to get it right.

·
Registered
194 Posts
why not just get itb off a newer cbr its proven ,.,., go on honda-tech.com its been done by dozens of ppl ,.,., with carbs the setup becomes to complex if you want your moneys worth i wouldnt waist time with the carbs fuel injection makes this alot easier and also you intake mani will be alot cleaner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why not use somethin thats allready proven? Theres no fun in that and I don't want another cookie cutter honda like everyone elses. I like doin stuff that people say cant be done. Figuring it out is half the fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Redmule, you were right on the money with the 4 turns out on the pilot screws. Turned em out and it fired right up without the choke. Had it runnin and revving for a few minutes but had to stop due to no radiator hose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts