Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearing the tail end of my project and I need some direction! First, how compatible are the different years for the CDI box? I've got a 93 but the box for that year is three times as expensive as newer years. Second, I need an upper (headlight) fairing and I'm finding everything BUT 93. I see 91-92, and 95-03. Will either be close enough with a tiny bit of modification? Pics to come when finished, we threw a 636 subframe on her :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
93-95 are the years you're looking for.

The P models are 1996+

Josh

·
Registered
116 Posts
hmm

i have an extra 93-95 upper... i am west coast like you just across border...
75.00 plus hipping and its your?

i post a pics when i can.. it needs some work but its complete..
let me know what else you need for a l model i have spares..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have an extra 93-95 upper... i am west coast like you just across border...
75.00 plus hipping and its your?

i post a pics when i can.. it needs some work but its complete..
let me know what else you need for a l model i have spares..
:rofl

Yes!! Very interested! I'm in Washington state, please post pics! Not entirely sure what else I need, hoping to get the bike back in my garage this weekend. I'll probably need some discreet mirrors and turn signals, I'm considering a belly pan... Doing a subtle streetfighter look. Need a CDI (ignitor brain box).

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
down to 12k RPM.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
so a 93 zx7 cdi will work on a 94-97 zx9r motor, but just have to be mindfull of the rev limit?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
so a 93 zx7 cdi will work on a 94-97 zx9r motor, but just have to be mindfull of the rev limit?
Something like that... although my stock ECU in my 93 easily reaches 13500, it should be cutting out well before that.

Josh

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Yes. If you over rev a 9 you will spin a rod bearing.

·
6,860 Posts
One of the differences why the RPM is lower is the ZX9 only has single valve springs. I am running a ZX7 CDI on my ZX9R motor, but it has kit cams and springs, so it can handle the revs better. Plus I also have a lightened crank in it so it is not slinging so much weight.

The other thing I do to keep the 9R motor together is run much more oil in it. I fill it until it smokes at start up. These things will oil starve from pulling all the oil out of the pan at high RPM, which is why you see so many 9R motors with bad cranks and spun bearings.

These were a couple tricks passed down to me from one of the race engine builders.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Even though mine is only a 7, I keep the oil level to the upper line on the sight glass.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
One of the differences why the RPM is lower is the ZX9 only has single valve springs. I am running a ZX7 CDI on my ZX9R motor, but it has kit cams and springs, so it can handle the revs better. Plus I also have a lightened crank in it so it is not slinging so much weight.

The other thing I do to keep the 9R motor together is run much more oil in it. I fill it until it smokes at start up. These things will oil starve from pulling all the oil out of the pan at high RPM, which is why you see so many 9R motors with bad cranks and spun bearings.

These were a couple tricks passed down to me from one of the race engine builders.
You think it would be possible to run an oil drain line from the head back down into the pan?

Something to ponder. In the automotive world the Ford FE engine suffers from too much top end oiling, plus it doesn't drain back fast enough at high RPM

Josh

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
You think it would be possible to run an oil drain line from the head back down into the pan?

Something to ponder. In the automotive world the Ford FE engine suffers from too much top end oiling, plus it doesn't drain back fast enough at high RPM

Josh
The factory race kit manuals for all years(91-03) ZX7's shows a specific oil feed line for the head as a kit part. I've always assumed it was an oil flow restricting line when compared to the stock production feed line. This is for the reasons Scott (57X) stated. This would slow the oil feed to the head and thereby let the engine live. Too bad it's not available anymore.

·
6,860 Posts
I was told the race teams did run a line from the head to the pan. I asked if they tried to open up the oil passages and they said there was not an ability to do that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts