Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a restorer new to this forum and against my better judgement I'm trying to bring a tatty tracked 93 M1 back to its former factory glory. The missing M1 specific parts are of course unobtanium, but I'm hoping someone on the forum may be able to help me or point me in the right direction. Shopping list as follows:

1) Rear subframe and OEM tail unit (currently ZX-7)
2) Rear shock and shock mount (currently a Fox Twin Click)
3) Front forks (currently ZX-7)
4) Right side twist grip and switch gear
5) Exhaust hangar
6) Standard exhaust, although this looks to be the same as the ZX-7?

Will buy parts from any country.

Would be great to save this one, thanks in advance.

·
7,120 Posts
Welcome. Most likely, the M tail will be the hardest.

For now, you can cheat and use a ZX9R shock. It's similar enough for the time being.

While I've never done it, my understand is the 94-95 ZX9R fork bottoms can be swapped to make a 7 look like a 7R fork.

Be careful on the bar controls. There are different for ink for the 93-95 years.

Exhaust is the same.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The exhaust hanger is still available from Kawasaki. I bought a new one just a couple months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! Assuming I'm unable to locate a tail unit anytime soon, has anyone experience with the one piece fiberglass tail units from Airtech? Its really for track use, but looks to be a close match and I assume its designed to be mounted to a stock subframe. Will never look OEM but might be the closest thing.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses! Assuming I'm unable to locate a tail unit anytime soon, has anyone experience with the one piece fiberglass tail units from Airtech? Its really for track use, but looks to be a close match and I assume its designed to be mounted to a stock subframe. Will never look OEM but might be the closest thing.
Many people have used the Airtech tail in this way. You just need to cut it for the taillight.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
You WILL be able to remove the seat as I'm running a Race tail on a street ZX7.
I use an Exhaust Spring tool to pull the seat release!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle fairing

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use an Exhaust Spring tool to pull the seat release! View attachment 17939
I should have been more clear, you cannot get to the lever / bar to remove the main seat because the 1 piece does not "lift up" like the passenger seat. You have to go underneath .. and your recommendation doesn't work if you are out riding .. unless you are carrying it with you or have a secret compartment on the bike.

The easiest thing to do is get safety wire and make a pull string with the safety wire. Just put some tubing over the wire.

yes,you probably go under the tail section ..as I do as well. However this is not common knowledge

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use an Exhaust Spring tool to pull the seat release! View attachment 17939
Comparing the side view of your tail unit with the OEM its a really close match, I assume thats the Airtech part? I like the idea of a pull wire for the seat release, but I'm also considering modifying the stock rear seat key release mechanism to release the front seat. It would require some engineering but I may be able to mount the mechanism under the tail unit back pad like a stock M1.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome. Most likely, the M tail will be the hardest.

For now, you can cheat and use a ZX9R shock. It's similar enough for the time being.

While I've never done it, my understand is the 94-95 ZX9R fork bottoms can be swapped to make a 7 look like a 7R fork.

Be careful on the bar controls. There are different for ink for the 93-95 years.

Exhaust is the same.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip on the ZX9R fork bottoms. I'm also considering a conversion to the 96 ZX7r front end that has the extra adjustment, has anyone here tried that? You would have to use the 96 lower triple but top fork diameter is the same. I had a 96 for a few years and really liked the front end stability, 6 pot brakes not the most reliable in the world but probably a step up from the stock ZX7 that's on it right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the ZX9R fork bottoms. I'm also considering a conversion to the 96 ZX7r front end that has the extra adjustment, has anyone here tried that? You would have to use the 96 lower triple but top fork diameter is the same. I had a 96 for a few years and really liked the front end stability, 6 pot brakes not the most reliable in the world but probably a step up from the stock ZX7 that's on it right now.
Hey Cali M1 I had a fibreglass tail unit already fitted when I got my M1 yrs ago it’s a very close match to the oem tail unit ( brand unknown ) I was able to fit/remove the tail with the overflow bottle in place by gently spreading the tail unit ( left side first then right side the overflow bottle is smooth so tail unit won’t get caught. It’s a tight fit but haven’t cracked the tail ) as for the seat latch just cut an opening like the OEM unit has drill some holes either side of that hole fit some rubber bungs find a seat pad similar to OEM unit glue in some plastic locators into pad & fit to tail problem solved looks OEM & seat can still be removed ( be careful not to use all your weight against it when in race crouch ) . Most of the M1/M2 parts are the same as L1-L3 like exhaust system,cooling system, switch gear, lights ect . The pic of the M1 has the fibreglass unit fitted the other pic is OEM & fibreglass unit for reference hope this helps & good luck with it 😊

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone know the purpose of the throttle switch and green wire going to the third connector on my M1 CDI? Manual shows the throttle switch on a ZX750M electrical diagram but no explanation as to what its used for. I'm asking because there is a fast action race throttle on there right now and wire looks to left unconnected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Cali M1 I had a fibreglass tail unit already fitted when I got my M1 yrs ago it’s a very close match to the oem tail unit ( brand unknown ) I was able to fit/remove the tail with the overflow bottle in place by gently spreading the tail unit ( left side first then right side the overflow bottle is smooth so tail unit won’t get caught. It’s a tight fit but haven’t cracked the tail ) as for the seat latch just cut an opening like the OEM unit has drill some holes either side of that hole fit some rubber bungs find a seat pad similar to OEM unit glue in some plastic locators into pad & fit to tail problem solved looks OEM & seat can still be removed ( be careful not to use all your weight against it when in race crouch ) . Most of the M1/M2 parts are the same as L1-L3 like exhaust system,cooling system, switch gear, lights ect . The pic of the M1 has the fibreglass unit fitted the other pic is OEM & fibreglass unit for reference hope this helps & good luck with it 😊 View attachment 17947 View attachment 17948 View attachment 17949 View attachment 17950
Looks fantastic, very nice modifications, given me some inspiration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Cali that throttle switch your asking about is for the fuel enrichment solenoid on the factory M1 flatslides screws to the top of the flatslides between carb body 2 & 3 the zxr/zx7 factory supplement manual has no info on it you need the base manual which is hard to find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Cali that throttle switch your asking about is for the fuel enrichment solenoid on the factory M1 flatslides screws to the top of the flatslides between carb body 2 & 3 the zxr/zx7 factory supplement manual has no info on it you need the base manual which is hard to find.

Thanks, makes sense now and I found the solenoid in the parts fiche, interestingly the throttle switch seems to be labeled "cruise cancel", which may just be a literal translation from Japanese :) Anyway the fuel enrichment is blocked off on my carbs and the switch is missing, but the solenoid and switch connector are there just unplugged. I'd like to know more about the function i.e. when it kicks in, does it enrich at low revs or high etc. I'll assume for now one of the previous owners junked it because it had no benefit or got in the way when the bike was being tracked.

I just want to say that all the information provided on this forum has been fantastic, there is no way I would have been able to research this stuff otherwise, seems very little was published regarding these homologation specials. But that's why you get the buzz from owning one!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Cali M1 I had a fibreglass tail unit already fitted when I got my M1 yrs ago it’s a very close match to the oem tail unit ( brand unknown ) I was able to fit/remove the tail with the overflow bottle in place by gently spreading the tail unit ( left side first then right side the overflow bottle is smooth so tail unit won’t get caught. It’s a tight fit but haven’t cracked the tail ) as for the seat latch just cut an opening like the OEM unit has drill some holes either side of that hole fit some rubber bungs find a seat pad similar to OEM unit glue in some plastic locators into pad & fit to tail problem solved looks OEM & seat can still be removed ( be careful not to use all your weight against it when in race crouch ) . Most of the M1/M2 parts are the same as L1-L3 like exhaust system,cooling system, switch gear, lights ect . The pic of the M1 has the fibreglass unit fitted the other pic is OEM & fibreglass unit for reference hope this helps & good luck with it 😊 View attachment 17947 View attachment 17948 View attachment 17949 View attachment 17950
tim.holland1, the mods you did on your tail unit have me thinking now about cutting a fiberglass seat into three pieces to mimic the OEM, then fiberglass in the lips, pop fittings and screw mounting points. Between the parts fiche drawings and online photos of the OEM parts I have enough to get it pretty close. I know this may be a bit OCD but I've resigned myself to not being able to source OEM parts, and as a restorer I strive to get the bikes as close to factory as possible. If I decide to go this route I'll share progress photos on the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Cali it probably can be done I’ve not heard of anyone attempting to replicate the OEM tail unit but if you do go ahead with it carbon fibre probably the way to go for added strength. The plastic M1 OEM tail units are made of is really brittle & break / crack very easily unless handled very carefully & for that reason & rarity these days my OEM tail unit won’t be fitted . Best of luck with it Cali .

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.