Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 zx750 m1 I traded someone for and upon research I had found that it is a m1 but I am having trouble figuring out how to determine if my motor is original or if he replaced it with a different model. I have tried to determine through the engine code but I have had no luck honestly I just want to be sure. so with that said is there any way to tell the motors apart I look up schematics on most all the different models and there is so little difference that I wouldn't be able to tell unless I tear it down. does anyone have any secrets

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
O I meant to mention the reason for my question is there are a set of cv carbs on it and I am wondering if he had installed them because he had no technical skills or the motor was swapped for some reason Id just like to confirm what I have...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put CV's on my M1. No problem. Plug and play. Swapped out the boots and everything else from an L1. The carbs should not be used to identify if the motor is an M1 or not.

The M1 has a close ratio trans for one thing. I'm sure someone knows about the numbering of markings. I don't.

·
6,870 Posts
I have tried several ways and have not been able to figure it out. I have had several for the K, M and N models. The only way I was able to confirm is if it has a close ratio transmission. That is the only internal difference. I have a set of FCRs with airbox adapter if you are trying to convert back to original. I also have a spare M model motor plus an additional close ratio transmission that I have up for sale.

·
6,870 Posts
How much you want for that transmission? Does it come with shift drum n forks?
It's on eBay. $500 No forks or drum. It is for a 91-95. I do have some forks/drums from another motor that I am tearing apart the I could throw in. They are interchangeable from M to L models.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am interested in those carbs and adapter pm me with a price and we can get the ball rolling. I at first just assumed that this guy swapped out the carbs but then I started doing some digging and it lead me to a dead end, I think I am just going to wait until I get it on the road there is no mistaking it then.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Take the pickup rotor off the crankshaft. My N1 has a square pin that holds the rotor in place while my P8 has a round pin. The N/P engines have lots of stuff in common so I suspect that your M1 engine might also have a square pin.

Other than that you'll just have to ride it and feel the 'tallness' of first gear... or if the motor isn't running pop the oil pan off, turn the motor over and count the # of teeth on the input and output gears of first gear.

I have CV Carbs on my N1 right now too until I get my FCRs sorted out :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This bike is now going for parts if you are interested in anything go ahead and pm for parts. I am keeping the motor if you have a frame for a early 90s 750 maby we can trade something.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
What do you want for the swing pivot assembly. Frame side plate to side plate?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts