Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Sorry I just got a 92' Ninja 600. The bike really hasn't run in 2 years but it has been garage kept and ultra sweet. I havn't been able to start it, and it appears that there is no fuel coming from the tank. When I open the petcock up over a container nothing comes out of the tank (Fuel filler cap open and all).

How do you open this damn petcock up to clean it out / make sure it isn't clogged? I've tried unscrewing both sides of the thing but it seemingly came to dead ends. I dont want to push too hard forcing things out.

Any ideas on if there is any other problem, or how to crack this Rubik's cube of a petcock?

Thanks,
and thanks for the great resource that is this forum.
Pete

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same problem with my friend's 05 Ninja 500... I told her to just order a new petcock so I don't tear her's up and she has to order one anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I'll look around to find a new or working used one. I guess I wanted to make sure that the petcock was the issue. I second guess too much, when fuel doesn't come out of the petcock, I don't think it can be many other things causing the problem, lol.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just got a 90 zx and it was the same way, hadnt been started in a few years. when i took the tank off luckily there was nothing in it so i took the petcock off and blew through nipple that goes to the tank, switching to each position to make sure it wasnt blocked up. If you're really wanting to take it apart here's a diagram on the lower left of the picture that shows how it comes apart.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/k...(1992)/FUEL_TANK/ZX600-C5-1992/C13C1377F24102

·
Premium Member
6,999 Posts
Wouldn't you have to turn the petcock to the prime position to get a flow cause aren't these petcocks set up to have a vacuum to pull the fuel out of the tank??

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes but my ex250 i could do the same thing with both settings, maybe its because i didnt blow the way the fuel flows i blew "into the tank". Im not sure if its a two way vacuum valve

·
Registered
14 Posts
i just got a 92 zx6 with the same issue. i just replaced the petcock with a new one from Bikebandit.com.. it was 75 dollars plus tax as shipping came to about 90 dollars. but now ive run into the issue of the no gas getting from the carbs to the engine. i dont know what to do... is there a way i can clean the inside of the carbs where the jets are. its really small and i dont know what wll fit. any suggestions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. I just tried repairing the petcock as seen in this video:

really cheapo fix. When I finally opened it up all the way (Thanks wastedvocation) the rubber grommet which is closest to the fuel selector switch was pretty roughed up. I carved out the gunk, kinda like this guy did in the video, it now it looks clean and fit.

The bike bandit idea isnt bad, thanks for the tip on that. I'm just used to older bikes that when I open the petcock fuel exits the tank. Is the ninja a vacuum based fuel delivery? Sorry to be so green but I really want test how this petcock works, to see if it works before i buy a new one.

Hey 91zx6, those small jets are a pain to clean. The Clymer Manual I have recommends soaking them in 'simple green' rather than other non abrasive or harsh chemicals. Worst case scenario you aren't going to far just buying replacement jets they should be cheap enough. Be sure your float height is set proper otherwise the fuel won't properly leave the carburetor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a tank restore when I got mine, There is a sock on the inside of the tank that is a filter.... If the tank has anytype of rust or Crap in the tank that gummed this up it will cause the sock to harden and not allow anything to pass.... its a PAIN IN THE A## to get out though....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ooooh optimus that maybe what I'm looking at here. I'm about to take the tank apart as much as possible to clean up all the lines and connections make sure no crimping happening anywere along the fuel line to the carbs. But I will def try and fish that thing out. I have a feeling thats exactly the prob.
The gas that was in the tanking was smelly old and that dark brown color. I'll try to figure it out. Thanks man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts