Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine is trying to build a stroker motor for his ZX7. He says he needs a 93-95 crank but I only have an extra 92 motor. The lobes and everything are the right size but we're wondering if the 92 is as strong as the 93-95?

Any input?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
So a friend of mine is trying to build a stroker motor for his ZX7. He says he needs a 93-95 crank but I only have an extra 92 motor. The lobes and everything are the right size but we're wondering if the 92 is as strong as the 93-95?

Any input?
Thanks!
The ZX9R' s (94-97) used common crankcases with the ZX7's so when they came out the cases were redesigned for strength and there is a visual difference. I have never heard of any difference between the 91-95 ZX7 cranks. Or any strength (or weakness) issues with the cranks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked at the local Kawi dealer and he said the part numbers between 92 and 93 are different but that's all he knows.

·
6,618 Posts
As 2fat said, it was 94 when things changed. The superbike teams told Kawasaki that the cases were failing above 135hp and there were a few series where bigger displacement could be used. They made the cases from a common casting in 94.

I have not heard of crank failures often in the ZX7 for much of any year. More of an issue was pulling and cases causing bottom end problems.

I am not sure what the difference would have been in 93 causing a new part number, but if anything it would have been in 94 if it was a strength issue. I personally would run any 91-95 crank for this mod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts