Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hit 29 years of ownership and 68k miles on my pride and joy. Heard a slight noise while riding which developed into a significant knock, assuming #3 rod failure at this point just based on location of noise and most common failure on these bikes.

So question is, what direction have you all gone? I can get a 20k D pull-motor for $1800 shipped and roll the dice, or attempt a rebuild not knowing how bad the damage is and availability of a crank and additional parts if too far gone. If I thought it was worth the time, money, and effort, I'd grab that ZX1200 engine off eBay and make it a project. But at 56yo, I'm coming to and end with project bikes. I just want to ride as long as my body cooperates!

I'm sure this is a well-debated subject, just trying to get some fresh opinions and possible engine options in the community.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you are going to the trouble of swapping engines, getv a zzr1200 mill. They are a bit more powerful and don't seem to have the rod problems of the 1100. The swap is very straight forward (from experience).
There is one for sale on the "Bay" right now (no affiliation to myself).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you describe any of the modifications that need to be made (wiring/carbs/exhaust) to make this swap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I documented my entire journey on a series of posts on this forum. I don't have all that many so they should be easy to find. Look at my "Starting Over" thread first. If you have any specific questions about the process I will be happy to answer them. Don't be put off, it's about as easy as a simple engine swap.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Are there gold flakes in the motor oil, I must assume so, M.Rad is on da $$ ZZR1200 mill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I documented my entire journey on a series of posts on this forum. I don't have all that many so they should be easy to find. Look at my "Starting Over" thread first. If you have any specific questions about the process I will be happy to answer them. Don't be put off, it's about as easy as a simple engine swap.
Good thread, with a couple questions:

1. Can I use my stock radiator or do I need the 1200 with the dual fans?
2. Same oil cooler or 1200?
3. Did you have to rejet your carbs?
3. What did you pay for your motor? There is a 1200 with 12k on eBay for $2750 which seems a little high, thought around $2300-2400 plus shipping.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If u swap the 1200, u gotta get new oil lines or oil cooler mount. The 1200 cooler does not mount securely and oil lines r different. Id recommend pulling apart the engine to see how bad the damage is first. If u can get away w just gaskets and bearings, y not? Cheap n easy just apply some time..

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I don't know if yours is a C or D but I remember reading that in a D frame, a 1200 engine must be dropped to remove the valve cover (and thus, for valve adjustment).
Maybe M.Rad can confirm.
Not a show stopper but good to know before taking this decision.

·
Registered
847 Posts
So I hit 29 years of ownership and 68k miles on my pride and joy. Heard a slight noise while riding which developed into a significant knock, assuming #3 rod failure at this point just based on location of noise and most common failure on these bikes.

So question is, what direction have you all gone? I can get a 20k D pull-motor for $1800 shipped and roll the dice, or attempt a rebuild not knowing how bad the damage is and availability of a crank and additional parts if too far gone. If I thought it was worth the time, money, and effort, I'd grab that ZX1200 engine off eBay and make it a project. But at 56yo, I'm coming to and end with project bikes. I just want to ride as long as my body cooperates!

I'm sure this is a well-debated subject, just trying to get some fresh opinions and possible engine options in the community.

Thanks in advance.
I went thru that same thing with my zx9r. I was worried about an internet engine buy, spending money on a motor that needed work. So I chose to have it rebuilt, but probably went a little crazy with new parts. I did have the #3 crank journal reworked by APE, and they did a really good job. I don't know how available parts are for your motor, and that may be a real issue that would push you to find a replacement motor.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was in a slightly different position parts-wise since I had a complete ZZR1200 to pirate parts off of.
I used the ZZR1200 radiator and fans but everything bolted on in the same position as the ZX11 stuff, including the oil cooler and radiator.
The carbs had a Dynojet kit for the 1100 engine, but run flawlessly with the 1200.
As for the valve cover-yes it is a tight fit and you will need to tilt the engine forward to set the valves.

If you get the stock engine rebuilt, make sure you have the #3 oiling hole elongated to match up with the crank.

Mine has been running perfectly since I installed it, no debris in the oil, no leaks, no noises-nothing!

BTW, I see a ZZR1200 engine for $1500 on the 'Bay right now, + $250 shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts