Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I was wondering if on my 89 Zx7, I could use a 91 Ignition Coil... I've searched everywhere about it, but I could not find an answer to this question.

THanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here the thing...
My coils have 3 Ohm at the primary, and 24k Ohm at the secondary.
Today I received brand new coils, and they have 2.8 Ohm at the primary and 22k Ohm at the secondary, when the manual calls for 10k to 16k Ohm at the secondary.

What in the world?!?! I just bought those coils because they are out of spec, but the bike is running... any suggestion other than returning those coils?

what kind of difference are those 8k Ohm going to make on the running bike?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,719 Posts
So here the thing...
My coils have 3 Ohm at the primary, and 24k Ohm at the secondary.
Today I received brand new coils, and they have 2.8 Ohm at the primary and 22k Ohm at the secondary, when the manual calls for 10k to 16k Ohm at the secondary.

What in the world?!?! I just bought those coils because they are out of spec, but the bike is running... any suggestion other than returning those coils?

what kind of difference are those 8k Ohm going to make on the running bike?
Can you test the resistance when they're hot?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
False Alarm, I just notice that the manual spec is referred to the resistance measured between the caps leads, not including the caps. In my case that is 14k Ohm.
then I went online to figure out if there is a spec for the cap resistance, and the only info I found was from someone selling the caps, specifying that they where 5k Ohm caps, that would make a total of 24k Ohm cap to cap resistance, so I'm well within spec.
ONE LESS PROBLEM!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts