Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Started this project a ways back (90 zx7 H2), but for a variety of reasons had to leave it until recently.

Machine was mostly complete, except the harness between the pick up coils and the igniter was missing. Posted a thread here and Christikitti hooked me up with the info on how those wires should go here. (thanks)

So fairly certain that igniter is right, (though more on that later).

But still no spark. Have tested the pickup coils (both resistance and by checking the pulse of voltage as I cranked the motor). Seems good.

Also checked primary and secondary windings on the ignition coils - readings look good.

Checked resistance on the caps and wires, and testing with a brand new NGK plug. So probably not between ign. coils and ground.

Bought another igniter off eBay "from a running bike" and no go...

Here's what I'm down to...

The Mystery Grey Wire

One thing Christikitty mentioned was the 'grey' wire, and how it's critical to getting spark. I've seen other references to it too on other posts - but here's the thing, I've gone through all the schematics for all the models listed in my manual (up to "M" I think) and all have a grey wire from the igniter to the ignition switch except the H1 and H2 (and that matches what I see on the bike). I can't see any other color either that looks like it does that same run.

The Ignition Resister

I've seen references to a resister that is in the ignition switch that is not mentioned in the manual because it's part of the anti-theft mechanism. I'm guessing that this resister is the point of origin for the Grey Wire (igniter won't fire unless it's getting 6v, or something like that - pls correct me if I'm off here.)

Did the 90 include this feature? I've tested every point on the bottom of the switch - 12v on all of them. If one of those guys is supposed to be 6v - that might explain things, but given the amount of demo required to get the switch out of the top triple - I'd like to confirm that my machine even has that system before strapping the thing into the drill press.

I've got one too many Pick Up Coils.

So a little more abt the bike. One of the reasons I bought the bike, (besides it being $300) was that the motor had just been rebuilt reportedly by a professional mechanic.

But it wasn't a straight swap. At least the top end is from an '87. Not sure about the bottom end as apparently both years share the (bottom) cases.

The pick up wheel and coils give every appearance of being new, so no way of know if they were on that crank when the beast was last terrorizing the Mile High City and her suburbs.

Another one of Christikitti's posts mention that she couldn't get her '89 started (no spark) because she had a '90 pick up wheel in there ('89 is single and the '90 has two).

So maybe, if the whole motor is from an '87 I need to change out the pick ups or the igniter, so it all matches.

So that's my last WAG for the night.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

I gotta get this thing running so I can get to the fun stuff - finishing the new sub frame, fitting a fairing from on old vintage racer...and actually rinding this thing!:crazyloco

Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so may have found the issue...

wrong pick up rotor? (looks like it's for a single pickup - from the original motor).

This make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
280 Posts
as some of you alreay know, i've been away for awhile. i sold my 1989 ZX-7 & just recently picked up a 1990 ZX-7 with motor probloms. the previous owner had been into engine at one point & used excessive amounts of sealant when putting engine back together. the excessive amount of sealant broke down inside & plugged oil pump pickup screen.

i currently have motor completely disassembled for clean up & check for damage.

i noticed that i only have a pickup coil on 1 side. am i missing one ? also, not sure what tem for part is, but i call it rotor. mine looks different than one pictured by Rob K. is mine stock, or aftermarket ? i will go take pic. & post it up.

Thanks ! Chris

not trying to squeeze in on your thread Rob ! just thought my questions , along with yours will help us both out at same time, & my pic. could be used in refference to your question.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ya if the rotor is incorrect it is going to send the wrong signal to your pcm so since yours has one spot for the pickup coil to pick up compaired to the 3 on the one pictured below your post it is not going to fire...also if your bike only had 1 pickup coil find out the location of one stock and unhook the second it could be throwing the pcm off also

·
Registered
280 Posts
ya if the rotor is incorrect it is going to send the wrong signal to your pcm so since yours has one spot for the pickup coil to pick up compaired to the 3 on the one pictured below your post it is not going to fire...also if your bike only had 1 pickup coil find out the location of one stock and unhook the second it could be throwing the pcm off also
so, you are saying that rotor on Rob's bike is wrong, & mine is correct ?

& i need to get a second pickup coil for mine because i only have one ?

just trying to get this rite ! & thanks for helping us both out !

in my case, i bought the bike not running, & as i disassembled motor i noticed it only had one pickup coil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have spark

I was indeed the rotor.:drinkin:

Headed down to Steeles and pulled one off a '94 (L-model) got home, threw it on there and I have spark!

Thanks for posting the pic Chris - that helped me confirm that the 90 and 94 has the same rotor.:thumbup

Anyone interested in a pickup rotor for a single pickup machine (or an igniter)? :crackup

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
OK heres the deal. The 90 CDI will not work with the single pickup setup and the rotor that Chris has pictured. This also works visa versa. You need to match the CDI with the rotor and number of pickups. If you have an 89 cdi use the rotor that Chris has with a single pickup. If you have the 90 cdi, use the rotor Rob has and the dual pickups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts