Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me please, to make a long story short I purchased a 90 zx-11 from a friend that had sat for probably 10 years. I took it to a bike shop and they replaced fuel filter, fuel lines, cleaned carbs, new plugs, new valve cover gasket, new throttle cable, new oil and filter, new coolant and hoses, and cleaned and sealed gas tank. Got bike back running decent, but shop owner said I might need new fuel pump and relay because my two fuel lights continuously flash even when gas tank is over halfway full. Bike would start up and run fine for the last two days. However, today I put new premium unleaded gas in tank and some techron fuel cleaner. I let bike idle for 5 or more minutes and every so often it wants to backfire now. It is hard to start and im afraid of running it because of loud backfires now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Could be a bad tank seal job... Did they use Kreem? If it didn't cure completely, or they didn't clean well enogh first, it could be peeling off and clogging the fuel filter. If they left the fuel level sensor in the tank when they sealed it that could cause your flashing lights too. You might pull the sensor out and have a look. The fuel pump doesn't have anything to do with the low fuel sensor circuit..that I know of (I'd have to check the schematic)

Could also be they just did a poor job of cleaning the carbs.
Have you checked plugs/wires?

Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a bad tank seal job... Did they use Kreem? If it didn't cure completely, or they didn't clean well enogh first, it could be peeling off and clogging the fuel filter. If they left the fuel level sensor in the tank when they sealed it that could cause your flashing lights too. You might pull the sensor out and have a look. The fuel pump doesn't have anything to do with the low fuel sensor circuit..that I know of (I'd have to check the schematic)

Could also be they just did a poor job of cleaning the carbs.
Have you checked plugs/wires?

Good luck!
Hey man thanks for your ideas. First, I took apart the tank and I ordered new fuel level sending unit, gas nipple with filter, new fuel relay, and both air and fuel filters. The tank looked pretty good and I the guy told me he let the tank dry for a week. I recieved my parts cleaned the carbs top and bottom according to haynes manual ,put everything back together. She fired up and finally is running pretty damn well for a bike that sat 10 or more years. I actually did a lot more to get the bike to this point and only have 900 bucks into the bike total. Alot of new parts and time, but its finally paying off. I still need to get the throttle adjusted correctly, and idle speed may still be a little off because it idles a little low sometimes and gives light backfires sometimes. Have any suggestions for that idle? Thanks again.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Only 900 in total? Thats a steal. Work it out and you'll still be way ahead of the game. Good choice of machine. I love those bikes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, update on the zx-11. Its running great now with no real problems idling. Now I have only one other problem. I noticed now that I have ridden it and used the lights and turn signals that when I push the turn signal nob to the left that the left front turn signal blinks but the rear right blinks with it, and vise versa for the right turn signal. Also, I replaced fuel level sender and filled tank, but both fuel lights continue to blink together even with tank filled with 3 gallons of fuel. Also, I tried switching the plugs in the rear for the turn signals, and when I did that with the turn signal knob pushed left both the right turn signals work and vise versa for the knob pushed right. Any suggestions on maybe electrical prob? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This may sound obvious, but just to make sure, is the wire for the fuel level sender connected to the harness? The connector is under the tank.

Not sure what to think about the turn signals. At least you got it so that the lights on each side blink together.

·
Registered
217 Posts
sounds to me like an evening in the garage and putting a little effort into taking the body work off and checking the entire harness. I have no idea where your bike was stored, nice price too BTW, so it is worth the effort, and checking the entire harness. I would not be surprised to find out that during storage a wire was chewed by a mouse, or maybe something has been pinched and has worn its through and creating a false ground. And while you're at it, check all of your grounds. A long storage period can have an effect. Sometimes just taking a little time and looking at the whole picture can bring forth the details that you seek. Just my .02 worth. Hopefully you will have it found and sorted soon. A $900 C model in rideable condition is a really decent find. So spend the time, it cost nothing and the rewards... I think you know the answer to that...:thumbup
Good Luck.
Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wiring

Im going to go over everything tomorrow due to needing to change the oil. I update you with what I find if anything. Anyone think that the turn signal relay could be bad due to old bad battery being connected all these years?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks guys for all the help. I changed my oil, filled up gas tank, switched backwards wiring connectors for front turn signal lights, and put everything back together. Everything finally is working right, and great. Sometimes I do have a very slight backfire when warming up, but usually after she is warm she runs great with no backfiring. Turn signals, lights, and guages all work as they should. It is awesome to have completed my 90 zx-11 finally. Now to decide if the needle lift mod, and aftermarket exhaust will be easy enough for me to handle. I have worked on and built many car engines of course fuel injected, so the carberator work is somewhat new to me. Anyone think it would be to much for me to do? I know for a fact I can handle the exhaust and needle lift, but wouldn't the carbs have to be jetted to compensate for the high flow exhaust? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the ways guys this ninja only has 4, 900 original miles. Now, she is back from the grave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great find and pretty cool to bring a dream bike back from the grave. Mine was buried in dust for 4 years after being reassembled wrong. Mouse damage that I still have to fix. The blinking fuel lights for mine come on at times with a low idle. Possible battery issue?? I got an agm battery and charge it every few weeks with an optima charger. I run eth free gas and seafoam.
I got 3000$ in mine total. 1250 purchase price. A really nice helmet, tires battery, many little parts from ebay. Some very skilled labor. thing I noticed last week is mine still has original stickers... Guess that's rare. This year it's gas and go. No problems.
in 1990, that was a beast!!! It made the other 3 company's go back to the drawing board for 5 years! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great find and pretty cool to bring a dream bike back from the grave. Mine was buried in dust for 4 years after being reassembled wrong. Mouse damage that I still have to fix. The blinking fuel lights for mine come on at times with a low idle. Possible battery issue?? I got an agm battery and charge it every few weeks with an optima charger. I run eth free gas and seafoam.
I got 3000$ in mine total. 1250 purchase price. A really nice helmet, tires battery, many little parts from ebay. Some very skilled labor. thing I noticed last week is mine still has original stickers... Guess that's rare. This year it's gas and go. No problems.
in 1990, that was a beast!!! It made the other 3 company's go back to the drawing board for 5 years! Enjoy!!
Yea I have had mine for a year I love this fast and this the first problem I had with I put two new coils pick up cool cdi box plugs wiring harness fuel pump probably more stuff just can't remember right now checking timing now I

1 - 16 of 16 Posts