Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 89 zx750 h1.....i ran out of gas on the way to the gas station so i put gas in it and it would not start. after i got it home i pulled the plugs and found out it wasnt sparking...i have replaced the plugs and still am getting no spark...i only found two fuses and dthey are good...is there a fuse block???? is there anyway to check the coils???????>>>> PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Take the coils put your tongue in em and turn it over...Let me know if you feel anything. Then we can go from there.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
OMG no! You can test the coils with an Ohm meter, but I don't remember what the specs are. A service manual should tell you. My manual tells me the primary coils (the two small wires connected to the coils) should around 1.8-2.8 Ohms. The secondary coils should (one of the little wires to spark wire) be 10-16k Ohms. Check your grey wire at the cdi for 6 volts too. Start there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed my coils and i'm getting power to them but still no spark. I'm trying to test my pick up but I dont have a service manual to be able know the ohm settings. Can anybody help with this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Next port of call would be to check the wires from the timing rotor and the CDI itself. Strange that running out of gas would trigger this. Not trying to be silly here, but are you sure you have not got a very weak spark and a dead fuel pump? That happened to one of mine, and it was running of gravity feed, but God help me getting fuel back into the carbs if it ran dry, as happened a few times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not getting any spark at all. as silly as it may sound it all started with running out of gas.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Unless the fuel pump has shorted out.. Try disconnecting the fuel pump and see what happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OK, so no spark, takes you back to checking the wires from the rotor, and the cdi itself. I think you already checked the coils eh?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I had a friend of mine that when we changed the fuel pump it didn't get any spark till we disconnected the pump. After that it fired right up. Thats why I mentioned the pump. Could have been due to the fact the battery was a little low though too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still No spark

All my fuses are good, new spark plugs coils and wires. its getting gas. Cdi and coil pulsing both have power. I'm lost, so i guess i'll try the fuel pump idea and will let you know how it turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts